gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
647660 Posts in 25908 Topics by 3700 Members - Latest Member: BigRed June 20, 2019, 12:10:06 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Echo in the Canyon (New documentary w/ Brian interview)  (Read 2821 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2019, 05:48:52 PM »

Just saw the film, pretty solid watch. As noted, there is a nice segment of the film dedicated to The Beach Boys/Brian, and they include a couple of clips from an interview Jakob did with Brian. They also brought Brian into the studio to play piano on “I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times” with Jakob and his backing band, although it’s unclear if any of the recording was used in the movie or the soundtrack, they quickly cut to different footage that didn’t have Brian there. If anyone picked up the soundtrack please report back if Brian is credited as playing on that version. Also, oddly enough, the film includes Roger McGuinn briefly recounting the story of “Ding Dang” which was pretty funny. Not sure it was an essential inclusion in the film but I appreciated it. Also at one point, Lou Adler takes credit for bringing an acetate of Pet Sounds to England and playing it to Andrew Loog-Oldham and Paul McCartney, which I don’t think I have heard offered up before.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 06, 2019, 06:37:37 AM »

Just saw the film, pretty solid watch. As noted, there is a nice segment of the film dedicated to The Beach Boys/Brian, and they include a couple of clips from an interview Jakob did with Brian. They also brought Brian into the studio to play piano on “I Just Wasn’t Made For These Times” with Jakob and his backing band, although it’s unclear if any of the recording was used in the movie or the soundtrack, they quickly cut to different footage that didn’t have Brian there. If anyone picked up the soundtrack please report back if Brian is credited as playing on that version. Also, oddly enough, the film includes Roger McGuinn briefly recounting the story of “Ding Dang” which was pretty funny. Not sure it was an essential inclusion in the film but I appreciated it. Also at one point, Lou Adler takes credit for bringing an acetate of Pet Sounds to England and playing it to Andrew Loog-Oldham and Paul McCartney, which I don’t think I have heard offered up before.

That is true about Lou Adler, and it has been reported before. Adler himself took a copy over and played it for Paul at Andrew Loog-Oldham's place, then Kim Fowley and Keith Moon set up the listening session with McCartney AND Lennon, with that acetate copy delivered by Bruce, that has been well documented. So yes, Lou Adler had premiered it for Paul, and it had been reported previously.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 06:38:33 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx