gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:03:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Voice of Al Jardine  (Read 8571 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: April 01, 2019, 06:18:35 AM »

I am simply amazed at how this non family member worked so well in the vocal blend for the Beach Boys. When Brian quit touring, it was Al that had the voice that most resembled his on songs like Wouldn't It Be Nice. Even in the studio, the lead singers on Help Me, Rhonda and You're So Good to Me sound like brothers, if not the same person! The lead vocals on I Know There's An Answer or Be Here In the Morning, between Brian and Al, sounds like the same person! Not only that, but Al in his lower register can sound a lot like Mike. How many of you, like myself thought it was Mike singing the lead in All This is That? So it Amazes me, that while Carl and Dennis have distinct voices, it's non family member Al that most resembles Brian and Mike vocally!

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 09:42:16 AM »

Al’s voice was the glue the “blend” needed in the studio.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 10:16:39 AM »

Absolutely! I definitely think he was the best singer of the band in the 2012 reunion.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2019, 11:06:56 AM »

How many of you, like myself thought it was Mike singing the lead in All This is That? So it Amazes me, that while Carl and Dennis have distinct voices, it's non family member Al that most resembles Brian and Mike vocally!

Mind is blown. For YEARS since I first heard this song, I thought that was Mike. I just went back and relistened.
Did someone tell you, or did you figure it out? I can hardly believe it!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2019, 11:11:51 AM »

I'm really curious about Al's vocal parts on All Dressed Up For School.

Is Brian even singing on that song? I feel like I clearly hear Brian singing the opening "dit dit dits", but could it just be Carl's voice sounding Brian-like?  Sometimes I think I have it all figured out with who's singing what, and then new facts emerge.

I'm just wondering why Al was chosen to sing the very distinctively Brian-esque falsetto parts on the choruses. Almost like this was a studio test to see if Al could pull off a very Brian part for when the song would be performed live on tour sans Brian, which of course didn't happen since the song's release was nixed.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2019, 11:12:53 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2019, 11:27:39 AM »

Absolutely! I definitely think he was the best singer of the band in the 2012 reunion.
By far.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2019, 11:59:50 AM »

How many of you, like myself thought it was Mike singing the lead in All This is That? So it Amazes me, that while Carl and Dennis have distinct voices, it's non family member Al that most resembles Brian and Mike vocally!

Mind is blown. For YEARS since I first heard this song, I thought that was Mike. I just went back and relistened.

Wow, that really is cool. It sounds just like Mike in his 'Big Sur' voice. I always thought so too.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2019, 12:06:53 PM »

I don't recall how I figured that out. I know we have an official vocal thread, so if there were any doubts, it confirmed that it is indeed Al.

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2019, 12:08:28 PM »

Is Brian even singing on that song? I feel like I clearly hear Brian singing the opening "dit dit dits", but could it just be Carl's voice sounding Brian-like?  Sometimes I think I have it all figured out with who's singing what, and then new facts emerge.

I'm just wondering why Al was chosen to sing the very distinctively Brian-esque falsetto parts on the choruses. Almost like this was a studio test to see if Al could pull off a very Brian part for when the song would be performed live on tour sans Brian, which of course didn't happen since the song's release was nixed.

I hadn't noticed that! I will have to listen again. It's hard enough to tell them apart as the leads sometimes, much less backing vocals! Lol

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2019, 12:09:34 PM »

One more. Al actually sounds a bit like Bruce on Looking At Tomorrow.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2019, 12:33:54 PM »

I hadn't noticed that! I will have to listen again. It's hard enough to tell them apart as the leads sometimes, much less backing vocals! Lol

Al is really audible singing "ahhhh what a turn-on" on the choruses. Always thought it was Brian for the longest time, but now it's obvious it's Al upon learning it.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 01, 2019, 01:07:38 PM »

What an incredible voice indeed! Ha, and Mike Love fires him not once but twice.  Shocked Shocked Shocked

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 01, 2019, 01:12:06 PM »

I don't recall how I figured that out. I know we have an official vocal thread, so if there were any doubts, it confirmed that it is indeed Al.
It's both of them. They each sing a verse.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
wjcrerar
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 01, 2019, 02:42:01 PM »

« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 05:01:14 AM by wjcrerar » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 01, 2019, 02:44:09 PM »

Interesting. Who sings which verse?
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2019, 03:11:53 PM »

Oh my God, Al's voice is incredible

So essential to that magical sound

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2019, 04:41:55 PM »

He still sounds great live!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2019, 06:45:18 PM »

Lol! I had to listen again just now. No it's Al in both verses. But it's possible Mike is over dubbing on the first verse.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 01, 2019, 11:24:11 PM »

Lol! I had to listen again just now. No it's Al in both verses. But it's possible Mike is over dubbing on the first verse.
It's Mike on the second verse, and Al and Mike together in the first verse.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2019, 02:06:51 AM »

Nope, same vocalist on both verses, both Al. Only difference is the first verse is double-tracked.
Hey, just listened to 2nd verse & it indeed is Al! Fantastic. I used to think it's Mike but in fact Al sings 2 verses. It's veeeery subtle to catch. Wow, Al really can morph his voice into Mike's (& the other BBs mentioned).

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2019, 01:28:40 PM »

I'm about 98% sure that they each sing a line. They always sang it that way in concert.

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2019, 08:48:34 PM »

Al sings the first verse, i.e. “Life supporting waves of bliss...”

Mike sings the second, “Golden auras glow around you...”

I always thought it was Mike on both verses. I’ll be damned.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2019, 10:25:33 PM »

Al sings the first verse, i.e. “Life supporting waves of bliss...”

Mike sings the second, “Golden auras glow around you...”

I always thought it was Mike on both verses. I’ll be damned.
Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2019, 10:38:16 PM »

Summer_Days, listen carefully to ''Meant For You'' with headphones, the same mellowness vocally as ''Golden auras''. Mike's timbre is little bit lower in it than Al's.

''around you''/ ''omnipresent love surrounds''/ ''wisdom warming as the sun'' give subtle, but clues nevertheless, that this is Al *entirely* in 2nd verse. There's folkiness in highlighted bits, Al's got it in his voice.

When Mike sings mellow in MFY, ''Aren't You Glad'', it's like he sings poem, he gives his voice special quality, tenderness, affection, grace, elegance, even upper class, as if to change completely his usual signature ML voice. Al sings with affection as well but it still doesn't stray to drastic change.

It's best explanation by me. Hope it makes sense. Smiley

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 02, 2019, 11:08:22 PM »

do we know here where al really was, when they shot the summer days/nights cover-
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx