gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 06:18:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Party/Party Sessions  (Read 1849 times)
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 31, 2019, 01:51:16 PM »

I have four questions, which have been bugging me:
1) Was Bruce ever miffed with Dean Torrence grabbing co-lead vocal duties on Barbara Ann, considering the quality of his own falsetto at the time? He can barely be heard on the album, even including the extra Sessions takes - I think you can make him out talking on one of the tracks - which is surprising given his major role on God Only Knows in a few months' time.
2) I am pretty sure that on one of the 'chatter' tracks on the Sessions release, someone makes reference to LSD? Is that Brian?
3) Was Mike absent for some of the sessions? There's a run of tracks within the Sessions, where you cannot hear him and one of those songs is Hully Gully, on which he would take the lead vocal.
4) Who played the harmonica parts?

Thanks!
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2019, 12:11:04 PM »

I have four questions, which have been bugging me:
1) Was Bruce ever miffed with Dean Torrence grabbing co-lead vocal duties on Barbara Ann, considering the quality of his own falsetto at the time? He can barely be heard on the album, even including the extra Sessions takes - I think you can make him out talking on one of the tracks - which is surprising given his major role on God Only Knows in a few months' time.
2) I am pretty sure that on one of the 'chatter' tracks on the Sessions release, someone makes reference to LSD? Is that Brian?
3) Was Mike absent for some of the sessions? There's a run of tracks within the Sessions, where you cannot hear him and one of those songs is Hully Gully, on which he would take the lead vocal.
4) Who played the harmonica parts?

Thanks!
According to Wikipedia, here's the personnel:

The Beach Boys

Al Jardine – vocals, 6 and 12 string guitars, ashtray
    Bruce Johnston – vocals, electric bass
    Mike Love – vocals
    Brian Wilson – vocals, bass, piano, bongos
    Carl Wilson – vocals, 6 and 12 string guitars, bass
    Dennis Wilson – vocals, bongos, castanet, harmonica

Additional musicians

Hal Blaine – bongos
    Ray Avery – bongos
    Steve Korthof – bongos, tambourine
    Ron Swallow – tambourine
    Terry Melcher – tambourine
    Marilyn Wilson – vocals
    Billy Hinsche – harmonica on "Mountain Of Love"
    Dean Torrence – co-lead vocal on "Barbara Ann"

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2019, 12:44:12 PM »

First of all, these guys were and continue to be friends.  Bruce and Terry Melcher contributed some great background vocals to Dean's Legendary Masked Surfers redux versions of GONNA HUSTLE YOU and SUMMER MEANS FUN.

I recall reading or hearing an interview with Bruce where he specifically talked about BARBARA ANN.  He described the differences between Brian's falsetto and Dean's falsetto and said the combination of the two was a perfect, happy, and slightly messy accident that made it a hit record.  His stated analogy was having the perfect hair, not a hair out of place... and then your girlfriend messes it up and somehow it looks even better.
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2019, 10:04:54 AM »

Dennis is playing harmonica!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx