gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 09:13:14 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: I just thought of an interesting topic.  (Read 12602 times)
Jason
« on: January 10, 2006, 05:46:42 PM »

If there's enough people interested, how about we have some threads dedicated to our live recording collections? We can talk about/review the concerts we have. It would be pretty fun. All those in favor, reply.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2006, 08:46:40 PM »

I have the Beach Boys Concert on vinyl.

I made a tape of it.

I listen sometimes to it in the car.

It is fun.

I fastforward "Monster Mash" sometimes.

"Little Old Lady from Pasadena" is a great version.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2006, 08:47:37 PM »

Hmmm, got a hundred or so...
Any requests?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2006, 09:00:05 PM »

What is the best BB performance ever to your ears Ian?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2006, 09:01:00 PM »

TAMI show, 1964.

After that, Princeton 1971.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2006, 09:02:23 PM »

I have maybe 2 or so (unreleased). Woe is me.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2006, 09:06:59 PM »

What's the state of a legitimate TAMI DVD Ian?  Of the whole show?  Has any of it been released?

Who was playing?  Beach Boys, Stones?  What was played?

Sounds great.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2006, 11:22:14 PM »

TAMI Show is the greatest rock film ever made, bar none, directed by the same genius who helmed Elvis' 68 special, Steve Binder.
Two days at the Santa Monica Civic in 1964, filmed in beautiful black and white.
Check this lineup:
The BB's, Lesley Gore (YES!), Chuck Berry, The Miracles, The Supremes, Marvin Gaye, Jan And Dean, James Brown, The Rolling Stones. With hot 60's chick go-go dancers dancing the entire film.
The Brown/Stones doubleheader at the end is the most exciting 20 minutes I have ever been blessed with viewing.
Unfortunately, FAR too many rights issues to clear for official release, so get it off Ebay. Easy to find, crappy print, but better than nothing.
It's shown in LA every once in a while from Quentin Tarantino's personal print. Gold, pure gold.

I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2006, 11:24:29 PM »

The BB's entire performance can be found on the Sights DVD in the Sights And Sounds Of Summer CD/DVD package, in great quality. Grab it.

Matinee Idyll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2006, 12:21:59 AM »

Oooh, I certainly will...

Is the clip of them doing "Surfer Girl" at the start of IJWMFTT from the show?  Also I Get Around (with Denny going mad on drums) and Dance, Dance, Dance?

Is it possible to compile the entire thing, high quality, from different releases, or is the BB part the only one with legitimate release?

Thanks mate
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2006, 12:48:47 AM »

Nope, only the Beach Boys section. Yep, that's the show with those clips, with Denny on the high drum riser.

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2006, 08:55:14 AM »

I want to see/hear more of the Boys in 1965 doing Today! songs. I have a clip of When I Grow Up from somewhere, and one of the DVDs has them doing Help Me Rhonda and Please Let Me Wonder with Brian there. Are those easy to find?

Watch out for snakes!
Fantastico!
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2006, 10:07:07 AM »

I want to see/hear more of the Boys in 1965 doing Today! songs. I have a clip of When I Grow Up from somewhere, and one of the DVDs has them doing Help Me Rhonda and Please Let Me Wonder with Brian there. Are those easy to find?

That Please Let Me Wonder is a lip sync.  I don't know about the Rhonda on Andy Williams.
There is a bunch of Dance Dance Dance live stuff out there, and probably some Do You Wanna Dance,
But I bet there is no vintage "Don't Hurt My Little Sister" "Good To My Baby" or Side two stuff (minus what has been mentioned).
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2006, 11:13:21 AM »

The original, undoctored Wonder clip is live vocals over track, the same for the Andy Williams clip.

Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2006, 12:34:50 PM »

I fastforward "Monster Mash" sometimes.
Are you kidding, that's my favorite cover song (Little Old Lady From Pasadena doesn't count) on the album!

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2006, 02:29:37 PM »

Ugh, a major reason to dislike Mike Love right there. Unfortunately even Monster is a masterpiece in comparison to Long Tall Texan.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2006, 07:30:58 AM »

BTW does anyone have a recording of this concert? http://members.tripod.com/~fun_fun_fun/6-29-93.html

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2006, 07:04:43 PM »

The BB's entire performance can be found on the Sights DVD in the Sights And Sounds Of Summer CD/DVD package, in great quality. Grab it.

Are all of the TAMI performances full, not just snippets? Same with the Ed Sullivan stuff too? And is any of it lipsynched? I've been thinking about getting the Sights and Sounds since I got the cd disc before the CD/DVD release and it got ruined

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #18 on: March 06, 2006, 06:43:05 AM »

Are all of the TAMI performances full, not just snippets? Same with the Ed Sullivan stuff too? And is any of it lipsynched? I've been thinking about getting the Sights and Sounds since I got the cd disc before the CD/DVD release and it got ruined

Full performances. "God only knows" is from "An american band", so the sound is from the "Live in london" while you see pictures from Hawaii in '67. I think on "Do it again" from Sullivan there is a little playback at the beginning, but rest is live.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: September 17, 2006, 03:51:52 PM »

The only things that's kept me from getting the Sights And Sounds of Summer is that I already (for some dumb reason) own SOS CD and plus I was disappointed Capitol didn't put the 1964 Ed Sullivan performance of I Get Around on there. That clip is the first time I remember ever seeing the Beach Boys, when I was a kid. It's dynamite; I still remember how cool Brian was, with his falsetto and all. Even as a kid, I sensed this guy was the center of the music.

But since it does have those TAMI songs, I'll probably pick it up now....I guess. I've always adored that Surfer Girl perfomance, which I've seen everywhere (AAB docu, IJWMFTT docu, Beautiful Dreamer, etc...I think Endless Harmony too). It's classic.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2006, 04:26:25 PM »

In fact the T.A.M.I.-I get around has alot more nergy than the Sullivan one. But it's nice to see them no matter on what show. BTW the Sullivan-appearance is on youtube, you might want to check it out...

- Jack Rieley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx