gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:31:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Our Car Club is freaking amazing (UK Mono lp)  (Read 1791 times)
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 27, 2019, 05:27:44 AM »

i played the mfsl surfer girl stereo today and by far, i prefer my UK mono lp, at least for our car club-.  so these came out not w/ the US ones, but later, in 1967, according to discogs----

so this lp, and i seriously seriously doubt the US cap is the same- but you can crank it on my JVC receiver almost to 8 or 9.  Let me stress: **NO** lp, on my jvc receiver, can i crank that loud.  it feeds back at like cracking to to *5* or more on many or most lps. but the uk surfer girl i can blast to like 8 1/2.  i then turn the right speaker off so i can hear the mix in one speaker mono style.   and WOWOWOWOW. 

i like the concept of the smileysmile board it is a beach boys specific board, for beach boys specific things, like how many times i listened to our car club today.  why wasnt this a single.  capitol really missed one there. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 05:29:30 AM by chewy » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2019, 05:47:52 AM »

Can't comment on the quality of the UK mono lp. But I have the original mono pressing of the American version. That entire album sounds glorious, and I totally agree about 'Our Car Club' - it is such an underrated tune. I think I had never heard this song before I spun the vinyl of this album, I'm happily listening through and this song just comes out of nowhere. Brian's chorus vocal is heavenly mixed with those baritone sax (?) and the deep bass. While it wasn't a single it should've at least made it's way onto a popular compilation album.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2019, 10:21:24 AM »

It is truly one of my favourite BB songs.  I remember reading somewhere - no idea where, sorry - that it is heavily influenced by Herbie Hancock's Watermelon Man, which was covered by Mongo Santamaria and became a major hit.  So perhaps the record company chose not to release a single for fear of a repeat of the Surfin Safari/Chuck Berry thing?  I have no idea.  

Regardless, it's amazing.  On Youtube there's a video of David Marks and Jeffrey Foskett playing this at a private gig.  David Marks says that they only ever played this in concert one time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89Ysw6fyhlw
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 10:22:58 AM by marcella27 » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2019, 11:18:22 AM »

It is truly one of my favourite BB songs.  I remember reading somewhere - no idea where, sorry - that it is heavily influenced by Herbie Hancock's Watermelon Man, which was covered by Mongo Santamaria and became a major hit.  So perhaps the record company chose not to release a single for fear of a repeat of the Surfin Safari/Chuck Berry thing?  I have no idea.  

Man, before 5 minutes ago I was only aware of the Herbie's Headhunters version of 'Watermelon Man', which was released in '73, so I had to look it up. For anyone interested in the '62 version that Marcella27 is referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbHJHPTikQA

Very well worth the listen if you like jazz, thanks for bringing it up Marcella! And I can definitely see some similarity.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2019, 01:59:44 PM »

brian had a copy of blue note 4109 "Takin' off" feat. watermelon man? god i never would of thought of that- but youre right i see what yr saying absoutely
« Last Edit: March 27, 2019, 02:00:33 PM by chewy » Logged
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2019, 12:15:32 PM »

Man, before 5 minutes ago I was only aware of the Herbie's Headhunters version of 'Watermelon Man', which was released in '73, so I had to look it up. For anyone interested in the '62 version that Marcella27 is referring to:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZbHJHPTikQA

My pleasure!  I actually prefer the 1962 version.  Freddie Hubbard!
Very well worth the listen if you like jazz, thanks for bringing it up Marcella! And I can definitely see some similarity.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx