gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:19:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road (2019 Brent Wilson Documentary)  (Read 123509 times)
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: March 22, 2021, 12:10:56 PM »

Brent emailed me again and said that it is important to both him and Jason that Brian's fans see this film in theaters.

I certainly "get" that from an experiential perspective, but under the not-quite-out-of-the woods pandemic circumstances, I guess that makes me less optimistic about the possibility of personally seeing the film anytime soon.  I agree that watching a special film isn't quite as special at home on TV via Netflix/Amazon/Showtime/HBO/whatever. BUT I suppose I'd have welcomed hints about a deal with one of those channels rather than something along that lines that Brent is cooking up a great little art-house distribution deal for the second half of 2022. We'll see.  Roll Eyes

« Last Edit: March 22, 2021, 12:11:43 PM by juggler » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #176 on: March 22, 2021, 12:16:20 PM »

Now that Icon is in charge maybe they won't screw it up.

Iconic bought a majority of the Beach Boys; the Brian doc is not under the purview of the group or Brother.

I would imagine one if not several outside production companies funded this Brian documentary, with an eventual distributor paying for distribution rights. Those are the parties making decisions.

While one would think/hope/assume Iconic, now essentially running the Beach Boys, would make some attempts to coordinate with concurrent solo projects, especially a bigger one like a feature-length Brian doc, ultimately I don't think this doc is running through Iconic in any way.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #177 on: March 22, 2021, 12:24:03 PM »

I'm the biggest proponent around of maintaining the big screen theatrical experience, and not just for big, loud action movies. I'd love to see a Brian or BB doc on the big screen.

But holding this film for a theatrical run is dumb. Pre-pandemic this would not have seen much traffic in theaters (and probably wouldn't have hit many markets/screens), and now it'll see even less.

A good Brian doc (and I have no idea how good or bad this one might be; it would be very personal and poignant, or if could be a puff PR thing, I dunno) would make perfect sense creating a bit of buzz on Netflix or HBO Max or wherever.

If they also put it in theaters concurrently, sure, why not? Or giving it a few weeks window that way, sure. But if that's holding it up for excessive amounts of time, that seems odd.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: April 03, 2021, 10:43:10 AM »

Agreed with that HeyJude. Streaming is the new 'theatre' for art documentaries.

I'm happy to be surprised on this, but I can't see people going to see this at my local Odeon/Cineworld, hotdog in hand...
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: April 03, 2021, 11:32:59 AM »

The state of Georgia is about to open up in a couple of weeks, so I can envision this showing at the local art house (which has been doing well with pay-per-view and private theater rentals so far). Still I expect to have to wait to see it until the DVD/Blu-ray release, like everything else lately. Streaming on a computer with slow internet frankly sucks, imo.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2021, 11:33:51 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: April 21, 2021, 09:30:50 PM »

This June at Tribecca

Sorry for the awful screenshot, this site is not very mobile friendly
« Last Edit: April 21, 2021, 09:31:42 PM by Shady » Logged

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: April 22, 2021, 12:49:03 AM »

You’re right! Assuming when they say ‘have been invited back’, they mean they have accepted.

https://tribecafilm.com/news/announcing-the-feature-film-lineup-for-tribeca-2021

(near the bottom of page)

2020 FESTIVAL SELECTIONS
After having their planned Tribeca 2020 premieres canceled, the feature films of the 2020 Festival have been invited back for long awaited in-person premieres in 2021. Participating titles include:

Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road, directed by Brent Wilson
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #182 on: April 22, 2021, 05:16:40 AM »

Confirmed by Brian's Facebook account:

The Brian Wilson documentary “Long Promised Road” will have its world premiere at Tribeca Film Festival this June. Dates and details to come.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: May 17, 2021, 08:02:03 AM »

From Brian's Facebook account:

Brian and Darian Sahanaja in the studio during the filming of the upcoming documentary “Long Promised Road.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #184 on: May 26, 2021, 08:08:21 AM »

Another one from Facebook:

Brian and writer Jason Fine taking a break from filming of the upcoming documentary “Long Promised Road.” The documentary premieres at the Tribeca Film Festival in NY on June 15th. There will be other screenings and news following that first showing.

- Jack Rieley
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: June 07, 2021, 03:05:40 PM »

Quite a bit of new info here...
https://deadline.com/2021/06/brian-wilson-long-promised-road-documentary-tribeca-film-festival-world-premiere-1234770327/

God bless Brian for his honesty... but poor Brent.  LOL

At one point I asked Brian which of the films or shows that have been made about his life he liked the most.

“Well Love & Mercy was the best one,” he quickly replied.

“You like Love & Mercy?” asked Brent.

“Love & Mercy, yeah,” said Brian.

“This one’s got to be a little better?” Brent said hopefully. “Now what did you like about Long Promised Road, our documentary?”

Referencing its title, Brian of course answered in a way that reflects what is always foremost on his mind and defines him to this day.

“It was a good song.”
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: June 07, 2021, 03:36:39 PM »

Man, I’d love to see the entire 70 hours!
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: June 07, 2021, 06:11:29 PM »

Another one from Facebook:

Brian and writer Jason Fine taking a break from filming of the upcoming documentary “Long Promised Road.” The documentary premieres at the Tribeca Film Festival in NY on June 15th. There will be other screenings and news following that first showing.

Gosh I can’t help but think if only Carl and Dennis were standing with Brian, life would be complete. Still to this day it’s hard to believe he’s the last Wilson. Very bizarre.
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: June 07, 2021, 06:55:04 PM »

Brian looks phenomenally great in that photo!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #189 on: June 08, 2021, 01:30:10 AM »

Quite a bit of new info here...
https://deadline.com/2021/06/brian-wilson-long-promised-road-documentary-tribeca-film-festival-world-premiere-1234770327/

God bless Brian for his honesty... but poor Brent.  LOL

At one point I asked Brian which of the films or shows that have been made about his life he liked the most.

“Well Love & Mercy was the best one,” he quickly replied.

“You like Love & Mercy?” asked Brent.

“Love & Mercy, yeah,” said Brian.

“This one’s got to be a little better?” Brent said hopefully. “Now what did you like about Long Promised Road, our documentary?”

Referencing its title, Brian of course answered in a way that reflects what is always foremost on his mind and defines him to this day.

“It was a good song.”

Billy Hinsche shared the article on Facebook as well and had this to add regarding the picture (for thos interested):

This just in regarding a new documentary - note: photo taken at The Hollywood Bowl during our soundcheck for the BRIAN WILSON Pet Sounds Tour of 2016 - and the film crew shot lots of footage that day …

- Jack Rieley
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #190 on: June 08, 2021, 02:03:55 AM »

"Brian also wrote a new one specifically for the movie called “Right Where I Belong,” and the filmmakers are not shy in hoping it finally is the one that lands him an Oscar nomination."

More Carl influence maybe?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: June 08, 2021, 02:12:28 AM »

Sad to read this story and the fact he doesn’t remember *he* actually posted a message back in 2015. 😞

https://www.usatoday.com/story/entertainment/music/2021/06/07/beach-boys-brian-wilson-documentary-long-promised-road-tribeca-interview/7595064002/

Later in the film, Fine breaks the news to Wilson that former Beach Boys manager Jack Rieley died years earlier, in 2015. Wilson wipes tears from his eyes, saying the revelation "absolutely broke my heart."

Brian Wilson
21. April 2015  ·
I’m sad to hear about Jack Rieley passing away last Friday. Jack was our manager in the early 1970s and helped us a lot. He wrote the lyrics for “A Day in the Life of a Tree” which blew me away. I also had Jack sing the lead on that one because his voice seemed to fit the song. Jack was a real force on our “Surf’s Up” and “Holland” albums and I’ll always remember his kindness. My thoughts go out to Jack’s family and friends.
- Love and Mercy, Brian
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: June 08, 2021, 06:23:57 AM »

Nice to see Brian is still active.  Glad to hear he has a new song in the can and another documentary waiting to be released.  Things had been very quiet with him for the most part during this pandemic (with the Colbert appearance being an exception).  I was starting to wonder about his health. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: June 15, 2021, 11:41:37 AM »

Here come the reviews...

Film Review: “Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road” — Getting Close to a Legend of Pop Music
https://artsfuse.org/231069/film-review-brian-wilson-long-promised-road-getting-close-to-a-legend-of-pop-music/

"New documentary tells Brian Wilson's survival story"
https://abcnews.go.com/Entertainment/wireStory/documentary-tells-brian-wilsons-survival-story-78290700

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: June 16, 2021, 02:20:03 AM »

Finally....A clip! 👍

https://youtu.be/ONE4xpSgPsQ
juggler
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 16, 2021, 07:45:26 AM »

https://www.thewrap.com/brian-wilson-long-promised-road-film-review-the-film-is-frustrating-but-the-music-is-transcendent/

" ... film is apt to become wearying to all but the most diehard fans of Wilson and the Beach Boys."

Sounds like *we* are good to go.  LOL
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 16, 2021, 07:55:17 AM »

I had the pleasure of seeing this movie last night @ Tribeca. I found it poignant and moving. It is by far the most intimate portrait of BW I've seen (and I've seen them all). To pull this off is no small feat. Some new wonderful insights into the past, some sad ones, and everything in between. It truly feels like you are riding in the car with your buddy Brian. Jason Fine did a remarkable job getting Brian to open up (you can tell how much Brian loves him and trusts him) and Brent Wilson did a remarkable job capturing some raw and spontaneous moments, as well as weaving the past with the present. Some of the most powerful moments are not in what is said, but what is shown and contextualized. Some great stuff with the BW Band as well.

They said last night they have international theatrical distribution for Q4 2021, and hope to be able to secure the same domestically in the US. I hope everyone on here is able to see this soon.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: June 16, 2021, 08:27:31 AM »

Finally....A clip! 👍

https://youtu.be/ONE4xpSgPsQ

Looks good to me. Can't wait.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: June 16, 2021, 09:15:24 AM »

Thanks for reports.
Any indication it might make it to other upcoming festivals?
Am hoping they have submitted to TIFF

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: June 16, 2021, 10:03:23 AM »

Hollywood Reporter's review:
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/movies/movie-reviews/brian-wilson-long-promised-road-1234966499/

And ESQ's review:
https://esquarterly.com/2021/06/15/review-brian-wilson-long-promised-road/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 12 13 ... 18 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx