gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
649763 Posts in 25977 Topics by 3702 Members - Latest Member: GV August 24, 2019, 12:12:23 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian Wilson: Long Promised Road (2019 Brent Wilson Documentary)  (Read 9103 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: August 11, 2019, 05:45:29 PM »

One of the best I've seen in that regard was Scorcese's take on Dylan.

That doc was completely made up, at least big portions of it..which brings up a good point, would a fake doc about the BB be worth making/watching? I feel like the reason it worked with Dylan is he has such a mystique, doesnt do interviews, people dont really know much about his life, hell he doesnt even talk between songs on stage... that most of the made up stuff couldve been true and no one wouldve known....but so much more is known about the BBs, especially with Mike constatly doing interviews,  same with Brian, etc I feel like doing the same thing about the BB wouldnt really work....

I guess I'm completely out of the loop. Could you briefly expand on how big portions of that doc are made up? I have read many a book on Dylan, but it has been a while since I've read those books, I guess I don't remember anything in that doc being out of the ordinary from what I read in the books.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

The Beach Boys legacy is still being mortared to this day...it has a solid and unbreakable foundation of incredible songs that tower above most bands, yet some bricks are more brittle and ugly than others (even some bricks put down more recently)...thus is the nature of any entity that continues to exist. You are not defined solely by your good achievements in life, you're also defined by those unpleasant moments too. This law of life, thankfully, helps keep us all in check.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 11, 2019, 07:30:21 PM »

That doc was completely made up, at least big portions of it..which brings up a good point, would a fake doc about the BB be worth making/watching? I feel like the reason it worked with Dylan is he has such a mystique, doesnt do interviews, people dont really know much about his life, hell he doesnt even talk between songs on stage... that most of the made up stuff couldve been true and no one wouldve known....but so much more is known about the BBs, especially with Mike constatly doing interviews,  same with Brian, etc I feel like doing the same thing about the BB wouldnt really work....

I guess I'm completely out of the loop. Could you briefly expand on how big portions of that doc are made up? I have read many a book on Dylan, but it has been a while since I've read those books, I guess I don't remember anything in that doc being out of the ordinary from what I read in the books.

Oh, you know what, I just realized both you and guitarfool are probably talking about "No Direction Home" from ~2003 or whenever, which was great. The new one that just came out in the last month or so that Scorsese did is about the rolling thunder revue and most of the stories/interviews are fake and all made up. The archival footage is great to see and its pretty entertaining but most people who watch it dont know that its fake because its presented as a documentary....Bob tells a bunch of stories that are lies, people interviewed that were supposedly there werent there and are made up characters, etc. Still worth watching but just know that most of it is BS. Its on netflix
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 11, 2019, 10:19:13 PM »

Oh, you know what, I just realized both you and guitarfool are probably talking about "No Direction Home" from ~2003 or whenever, which was great. The new one that just came out in the last month or so that Scorsese did is about the rolling thunder revue and most of the stories/interviews are fake and all made up. The archival footage is great to see and its pretty entertaining but most people who watch it dont know that its fake because its presented as a documentary....Bob tells a bunch of stories that are lies, people interviewed that were supposedly there werent there and are made up characters, etc. Still worth watching but just know that most of it is BS. Its on netflix
No Direction Home is a great one. Rare to see Bob speaking so openly about his influences, inspirations; great concert footage, too. I haven't seen the new one; if it's going to be fiction, they should have just re-released Renaldo and Clara. Bob put a lot of money into that film, i'm sure the critics would still hate it, but the fans would buy it just because it's Bob.
If we're going to have a fictional Beach Boys movie, please make it one where Carl and Dennis don't die tragically young.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 12, 2019, 11:44:24 AM »

Jessie Reiswig, I believe you're correct. The original speed version of "Caroline, No" is still only available on the Pet Sounds Sessions box set. Unfortunately, this version isn't available on streaming services, such as, Spotify. Also, Spotify mistitles the stereo sped-up version that's included on Classics Selected By Brian Wilson as original speed.
It was also released on a single disc promotional sampler of the box set as well. But since it's only a promotional item, it will obviously be quite difficult to find.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 12, 2019, 05:56:14 PM »

No Direction Home is a great one. Rare to see Bob speaking so openly about his influences, inspirations; great concert footage, too. I haven't seen the new one; if it's going to be fiction, they should have just re-released Renaldo and Clara. Bob put a lot of money into that film, i'm sure the critics would still hate it, but the fans would buy it just because it's Bob.
If we're going to have a fictional Beach Boys movie, please make it one where Carl and Dennis don't die tragically young.

I know this is off topic, but the funny thing about what you said is the new dylan documentary actually has clips from Renaldo and Clara and makes them look like real documentary footage and doesnt tell you its from a movie...pretty funny you said that
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2019, 03:48:43 PM »

I know this is off topic, but the funny thing about what you said is the new dylan documentary actually has clips from Renaldo and Clara and makes them look like real documentary footage and doesnt tell you its from a movie...pretty funny you said that
Yeah, Renaldo and Clara was a very unusual film, seen by probably 500 people total. Part fact, part fiction, part concert film...which apparently is the same approach Scorsese took for the new film.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx