gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680554 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 04:47:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sounds of Summer breakdown with Howie Edelson on Surf's Up podcast  (Read 1829 times)
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 16, 2022, 07:59:00 AM »

Greetings everyone. Wanted to let you know that there is a new episode of Surf's Up: A Beach Boys Podcast Safari in which we welcome back Brother Records consultant/liner notes writer Howie Edelson to discuss the Sounds of Summer expanded edition. But that's just the starting-off point for a wide-ranging conversation on the history of Beach Boys comps -- and why he wanted it to be Endless Summer-branded -- fan reaction to the new mixes, how Dennis' songs have become more resonant, a preview of upcoming box sets, what's the deal with "Pom Pom Play Girl," and how listening to this will make you a better person. As always, you can find us on Spotify, Apple Podcasts, Amazon Music, Amazon Alexa, Audible and on SoundCloud at this link: https://soundcloud.com/user-93394161/howie-edelson-on-sounds-of-summer-expanded-edition. Would love to hear what you think.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2022, 07:59:52 AM by Mark Dillon » Logged

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2022, 12:35:15 PM »

It was a great interview, Mark.

I highly recommend this to anyone.

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2022, 01:18:47 PM »

Thanks for tuning in, Robbie. I'm glad you liked it.

Alan: “God forbid any other Beach Boys go up onstage and actually be a Beach Boy.”
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2022, 08:22:33 PM »

Thanks so much for posting, Mark--you guys were all in great form. Howie's thoughts about "Wind Chimes" was especially eloquent, getting right to the heart of why the BB's music is so special and really "beyond" so much of what else is out there--it so often touches the essence of what being alive is all about.

Kudos also for the celebration of Dennis' achievements; we'll keep a candle in the window that we get another generous dollop of him in the CATP/Holland set. (And a nice try in getting Howie to give out some more of what we're gonna get--the intimation that there will be some Brian backing tracks from this period is extremely tantalizing!)

Mark Dillon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2022, 08:36:28 AM »

Thanks, Don. Regarding Dennis and the upcoming sets -- for CATP/Holland, how about an official release of "Carry Me Home"? And for the live set, let's keep our fingers crossed they come across a good recording of "I've Got a Friend." They must have one! And that's for starters...

Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2022, 11:35:50 AM »

I love talking with these guys. We could've gone on for hours. That felt like 9 minutes.
A pleasure. Same wavelength.
bryand
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2022, 02:50:55 PM »

Definitely a great interview. I enjoyed this same group discussing Feel Flows back last year. Really great energy in these discussions.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: July 18, 2022, 01:46:30 PM »

Great stuff. Can't wait to hear more.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx