gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680555 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 09:10:13 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Dennis Wilson music on Shindig link.  (Read 1613 times)
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 11, 2022, 11:33:41 PM »

https://www.shindig-magazine.com/?p=4986&fbclid=IwAR13DoF8wNoIQ69xvUPx1OxRoUJQbLvXofQA8Q3DlSsMFJDOzXSVyg5oUs8

Just in case anyone here has missed this. I managed to until now. I'd heard most of it but not the wonderful harmony ending to Hawaiian Dream, which brought me out in goosebumps. Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again seems to have a slightly different ending to the released version (I think...).

Wonderful post by Stan Shapiro too.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2022, 09:54:48 AM »

Link without Facebook's tracking garbage:
https://www.shindig-magazine.com/?p=4986
« Last Edit: July 12, 2022, 09:56:39 AM by Emdeeh » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2022, 11:06:27 AM »

I don't know that they'd ever need to release this music separately as this point, but while citing the working title in liner notes and whatnot is all well and good, if they ever *do* release this music on its own in any way, could we please not title it "Dennis Wilson Poops?"

I have the impulse to say it's unlikely the album would have *actually* carried that name had it been released in like 1971 or 72, but I know, stranger things have happened.

Anyone remember when Ringo was originally going to title his "Vertical Man" album "Thanks for Comin'." In fact, considering he put this phrase in the liner notes as "Thanks for Cummin'", he probably was going to actually spell it that way.

"Pacific Ocean Blue" is like a perfect title. "Bambu" is fine. But let's rework "Poops" if this thing ever got like some sort of single-disc Record Store Day release or something like "Bambu" did (and let's also find better cover art than that "Bambu" LP got).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2022, 11:11:10 AM »

Link without Facebook's tracking garbage:
https://www.shindig-magazine.com/?p=4986

Thanks!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2022, 09:38:20 PM »

Dennis' 80th birthday will occur late in 2024, and I think that would be a most appropriate time for a full box set of his songs to appear, packaged in a way that would create a physical disk and CD/LP cover for this collection of songs. I suspect that there may be a few more versions/outtakes in the vaults as well that could be included at that point in time.

Absent such an ambitious release, we can still hope that a physical release of this material under Dennis' name will somehow surface. He (and it) really, really deserve that...
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2022, 01:38:35 AM »

Dennis' 80th birthday will occur late in 2024, and I think that would be a most appropriate time for a full box set of his songs to appear, packaged in a way that would create a physical disk and CD/LP cover for this collection of songs. I suspect that there may be a few more versions/outtakes in the vaults as well that could be included at that point in time.

Absent such an ambitious release, we can still hope that a physical release of this material under Dennis' name will somehow surface. He (and it) really, really deserve that...

I completely agree. Just noticed on Amazon.co.uk that Jon Stebbins's The Real Beach Boy is for sale at £169.00 and that's for a used copy! So maybe another book would be a nice idea too.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2022, 09:33:43 AM »

I completely agree. Just noticed on Amazon.co.uk that Jon Stebbins's The Real Beach Boy is for sale at £169.00 and that's for a used copy! So maybe another book would be a nice idea too.

Holy moly--I'm a big fan of Jon's book (his other ones, as well) but that price is just crazy! Perhaps Jon will be inspired by David Leaf to bring together the many strands of his Beach Boys research into a new project that ties together new info about Dennis' creative output, the fraught interaction between Dennis and the band as regards his solo material, and a revisit to the "FAQ" book to update where we are at in terms of what we know about the band. It seems that there's a lot of ground that he can cover now that wasn't really possible when he wrote THE REAL BEACH BOY.

And it should be noted that Stan Shapiro's account of "Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again" diverges a good bit from the recollections of Steve Desper, including some that have been posted recently here at the board. I don't know how anyone is actually going to be able to reconcile those accounts, to be honest--they seem to point to two different realities. From what I've seen elsewhere, I'm certain that Stan's authorship claims are absolutely on the money, however. It's also possible that Steve was a calming influence on Dennis, and that what he relates in terms of his conversations/dinners with him reflects his ability to "talk Dennis down" from the schisms that were certainly at play in the "home studio era."
Angela Jones
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2022, 02:07:54 AM »

Holy moly--I'm a big fan of Jon's book (his other ones, as well) but that price is just crazy! Perhaps Jon will be inspired by David Leaf to bring together the many strands of his Beach Boys research into a new project that ties together new info about Dennis' creative output, the fraught interaction between Dennis and the band as regards his solo material, and a revisit to the "FAQ" book to update where we are at in terms of what we know about the band. It seems that there's a lot of ground that he can cover now that wasn't really possible when he wrote THE REAL BEACH BOY.

And it should be noted that Stan Shapiro's account of "Wouldn't It Be Nice to Live Again" diverges a good bit from the recollections of Steve Desper, including some that have been posted recently here at the board. I don't know how anyone is actually going to be able to reconcile those accounts, to be honest--they seem to point to two different realities. From what I've seen elsewhere, I'm certain that Stan's authorship claims are absolutely on the money, however. It's also possible that Steve was a calming influence on Dennis, and that what he relates in terms of his conversations/dinners with him reflects his ability to "talk Dennis down" from the schisms that were certainly at play in the "home studio era."

If Jon Stebbins does a new book, I'd prefer a different title. Of course, I understand why he chose it. Apart from anything else, it identifies Dennis for those unfamiliar with the name, but it once again defines Dennis in  the context of a particular image rather than focusing on his music. The choice of name of the group really typecast them. It was a part of their success but such a downside too.
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2022, 04:47:10 AM »

If Jon Stebbins does a new book, I'd prefer a different title. Of course, I understand why he chose it. Apart from anything else, it identifies Dennis for those unfamiliar with the name, but it once again defines Dennis in  the context of a particular image rather than focusing on his music. The choice of name of the group really typecast them. It was a part of their success but such a downside too.

I hear what you're saying...I think that when Jon wrote the book he had incomplete access to Dennis' music, a situation that only slowly began to change in the ensuing years. (Think of how much material surfaced just recently, and that's apparently not the end of it, either.) Rather than updating the book as that was occurring, he participated in a documentary that attempted to go further into POB and Bambu material to further flesh that out...but a book that fully covers the evolution/ebb-and-flow of Dennis' songwriting career is still awaiting its ideal author.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx