gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:28:17 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: R.I.P. Scott Walker  (Read 2945 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« on: March 25, 2019, 02:41:52 AM »

We've lost a great singer and a great character. My favourite non-musical memory of Scott Walker was when he burst into a cinema in the middle of The Ten Commandments and asked "Has God been on yet?" He was politely shown the door. LOL

"Love Her" is my favourite Walker Brothers song (a Jack Nitzsche production I believe). May he rest in peace.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIZe_dLa58U

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/mar/25/scott-walker-experimental-pop-hero-dies-aged-76

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2019, 05:01:24 AM »

I'll have to check this out and other Walker Brothers songs . Am only familiar with "The Sun Ain't Gonna Shine Anymore."

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2019, 08:41:01 AM »

Jack Nitzsche arranged Love Her but it (and the other three tracks the Walker Brothers cut in LA before going to London) were produced by Nick Venet so that’s one thing Scott had in common with our guys.
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2019, 04:26:53 AM »

Jackie and Matilde were my two favourites, stunning vocals and the arrangements were sublime.

I have to mention Joanna written by Britain's own Jackie Trent and Tony Hatch ... : - )

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2019, 05:31:25 AM »

Jackie and Matilde were my two favourites, stunning vocals and the arrangements were sublime.

I have to mention Joanna written by Britain's own Jackie Trent and Tony Hatch ... : - )

It never dawned on me that Jackie Trent was a songwriter (they say you learn something new every day).

I remember her from her gorgeous hit of 1965, "Where Are You Now", which I now see she co-wrote!

Thanks for the memory, J. And rest in peace, Ms Trent.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2019, 12:37:06 PM »

https://youtu.be/X48C2RWvmZ0

Not only did Jackie Trent cowrite Scott’s highest charting solo 45, she also was the first to cover one of his songs....
Seaside Woman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2019, 10:04:46 AM »

It never dawned on me that Jackie Trent was a songwriter (they say you learn something new every day).

I remember her from her gorgeous hit of 1965, "Where Are You Now", which I now see she co-wrote!

I'm so sorry JK, I missed your reply.

Her contribution to their work has never been properly or fully acknowledged. Indeed when Hatch was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame not only wasn't she given the honor but she wasn't invited. To make things worse he never mentioned her in his acceptance speech. Trent and Hatch were divorced at that point and he was holding back Royalties for songs she had written saying she had no input into them.

I saw them in concert together in Cardiff in the early '80s and to this day it stands out as one of the best I've seen. Her voice was sublime and she had charisma in spades enough for the two of them for sure because personality wise Hatch brought zip to the table.

She wrote a book about her life which came out posthumously. She put as much as Hatch's Lawyers would allow her to of their litigation of the music which remained unresolved at the time of her death.

A tale as old as time and unbelievably sad because it had an impact on her that she was never able to resolve or come to terms with... As she said, "What happened to all the money"?
« Last Edit: June 24, 2019, 08:04:14 AM by Jeanster » Logged

Caretaker in an aesthetic prison of my own dimension.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2019, 02:29:47 PM »

I'm so sorry JK, I missed your reply.

Her contribution to their work has never been properly or fully acknowledged. Indeed when Hatch was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame not only wasn't she given the honor but she wasn't invited. To make things worse he never mentioned her in his acceptance speech. Her and Hatch were divorced at that point and he was holding back Royalties for songs she had written saying she had no input into them.

I saw them in concert together in Cardiff in the early '80s and to this day it stands out as one of the best I've seen. Her voice was sublime and she had charisma in spades enough for the two of them for sure because personality wise Hatch brought zip to the table.

She wrote a book about her life which came out posthumously. She put as much as Hatch's Lawyers would allow her to of their litigation of the music which remained unresolved at the time of her death.

A tale as old as time and unbelievably sad because it had an impact on her that she was never able to resolve or come to terms with... As she said, "What happened to all the money"?

No need to apologize, J.  Wink

That is tragic--and incredibly cruel and self-centred. I thought stuff like that only happened in the US in the 1950s! Lucky you though, to have seen her in concert.

I see Hatch's wiki page says nothing about his dreadful behaviour towards Jackie. Maybe his lawyers have been poking around there too.  Angry 

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx