gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 11:43:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian article  (Read 24604 times)
MBE
« Reply #100 on: September 06, 2006, 10:55:25 PM »

If anyone thinks I am trying to spread rumors or anything I am not. I am not trying to withhold anything.  I am commenting on the delicate balance of a public and private life. Everyone here can watch, hear, or read about who Brian is today as a public figure. As far as who anyone is like in real life, contact them and make your own judgement on who they are to you. I don't mean that in anything but a sincere way. Again this isn't secret agent time. I just fail to see why Brian should be professinally forced to do anything if he doesn't want to. This has nothing to do with Brian as a husband or Melinda as a wife.
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: September 07, 2006, 08:15:01 AM »

See, I think Brian's a lot smarter and a lot stronger than a lot of you think he is.  If he truly didn't want to tour, it wouldn't have happened. 

This isn't the days were Brian was shunted off to the side by the rest of the Beach Boys where they hoped he could keep it together to get through the show.  No, Brian is the whole f'n show and if he didn't want to be there, he could make it painfully obvious to everyone that he didn't want to be there.  It's hard to have a show when the star of the show doesn't want to participate.

So I don't buy the whole 'Melinda is forcing Brian to do things he doesn't want to do' stuff.   
holeypeacoat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: September 07, 2006, 10:36:10 AM »

Brian is the whole f'n show and if he didn't want to be there, he could make it painfully obvious to everyone that he didn't want to be there. So I don't buy the whole 'Melinda is forcing Brian to do things he doesn't want to do' stuff.   

To my eyes it was "painfully obvious" he didn't want to be at that first Smile show in London. Didn't want to do it long before in rehearsals either...at least that's the way it seemed on the doc. Guess David and Mel know best though.

-hp
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #103 on: September 07, 2006, 01:38:14 PM »

To my eyes it was "painfully obvious" he didn't want to be at that first Smile show in London. Didn't want to do it long before in rehearsals either...at least that's the way it seemed on the doc. Guess David and Mel know best though.

-hp

And he said numerous times that he didn't want to do the Smile premiere. That's no secret. He was scared. He's Brian Wilson, and he was premiering Smile. Anyone would be scared. But then he said that once it started, he felt better. And then once it was over, he felt extreme relief (as in...I did Smile--not as in...the show is over). He also said he thought about backing out. I'm sure if he really wanted to back out, he would have, but he kept cooperating.  Ultimately, if he was pushed into it, it was the best thing. I mean, look. He's relieved that Smile is out there and was well received. He's creating again. He seems more articulate in interviews now than he has in a long time. So maybe David and Melinda (and Brian himself) DO know best. And maybe we don't know anything about Brian's life and should stop making accusations.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: September 07, 2006, 02:31:57 PM »

For you people who say there is something almost criminal in what is being done to Brian, that there are mean people who are forcing him to do things he doesn't want to do, please let me know how you know it is best for Brian to do nothing.  Please, give me your professional expertise on how Brian sitting on his ass and doing nothing is better for Brian than what Melinda and David Leaf have gotten Brian to do.  At least give me some examples of people who have sat on their ass and done nothing and were much the better for it, as compared to when they were being socially and financially constructive. 

(And are you telling me that never once in your life have you been scared to do something but did it anyway and found out afterward that you were really glad you did it -- or were at least you glad you tried it?)

So, please, tell me how you KNOW that Brian would be better off if he had retired ten years ago.  Please describe to me the horrible consequences that have taken place because Brian has been pushed to be active these past ten years.  Once you do that you might have a point.  As it is, your point is ridiculous and pitiful. 

Just so you know, this is what your whining comes across as... "Oh, Brian has given us so much already he shouldn't be made into a trained monkey and forced to perform for us!"   Well, if that's all the brain capacity that Brian has left, then yes, I would probably agree with you that he shouldn't be made to perform.  However, first you've got to prove to me that Brian has that much brain damage.  And if you can't prove to me that Brian is as brain damaged as that, then as I said above, you have to prove to me a productive human being is worse off than an unproductive one.  Especially one who is productive doing what he loves the most, which in this case is writing, recording, and performing music.

As for people who are intimating that David Leaf and Melinda are doing who knows what to Brian (Chinese water torture?  Locking him in a cage?  Making him eat his vegetables?) I just think that is sick.  Either say what you know and back it up with evidence or keep your trap shut, I say.  How exactly are unfounded *secret* rumors supposed to help us?!?!

Love and merci,   Dan Lega
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #105 on: September 07, 2006, 03:12:50 PM »

People will say or speculate anything they want about Brian till the moment it's forbidden by the Board's rules. Brian's private life has been made more than public by his or his handlers' choice.

You can't stand these kinds of thread? Do like I do with BWPS apreciation threads: stay away - or at least don't reply.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: September 07, 2006, 03:41:40 PM »

Brian is the whole f'n show and if he didn't want to be there, he could make it painfully obvious to everyone that he didn't want to be there. So I don't buy the whole 'Melinda is forcing Brian to do things he doesn't want to do' stuff.

-hp

My guess is he wouldn't have gone through with the show if he didn't want to.
MBE
« Reply #107 on: September 07, 2006, 10:17:35 PM »

People will say or speculate anything they want about Brian till the moment it's forbidden by the Board's rules. Brian's private life has been made more than public by his or his handlers' choice.

You can't stand these kinds of thread? Do like I do with BWPS apreciation threads: stay away - or at least don't reply.

Amen

MBE
« Reply #108 on: September 07, 2006, 10:31:36 PM »

Dan you sign everything Love and Merci but what you wrote is very hostile. I never said I was right or that you are wrong. This is a hot issue, I don't want what I or others write to personally offend you but I don't applogise either  I have given detailed reasons of why I feel like I do. If I or anyone else has personal reasons for feeling the way they do then respect that. I am not trying to dangle a carrot in front of you, What I discuss here are things everyone CAN see publically. I am not trying to tease or hold back. Try not to take this so seriously, I like reading your posts normally but let's keep this all in perspective. Hopefully this responce doesn't make things worse  but please understand that what I say or don't say isn't up to you.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 12:15:14 AM by MBE » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: September 08, 2006, 03:52:37 AM »

Not sure I buy the "if-Brian-doesn't-want-something-it-doesn't-happen" tenet 100%. He didn't want "Surf's Up" on Surf's Up, but it is. of course, that's an old and possibly isolated example.

I'm not saying Brian can be forced to do anything... but he's very capeable of being coerced. Birthday cake & steak, anyone ?  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: September 08, 2006, 06:06:20 AM »

Because I was told in confidence, as I'm sure the unnamed sources in Peter's book did the same.

Fair enough.

I guess we'll have to wait some years for the juicy bits.

There will be no juicy bits; just negative speculation by generally negative people who don't believe anything is as it seems; after all the sky is really just an illusion caused by the atmosphere; There is no god; Santa is a fat man in a red suit at the mall, and the easter bunny was made up by Hallmark. 
Again read Brian's own words or watch his interviews. Then make up your own mind. You know I have said this before but Brian owes the public nothing and himself everything. He should not be forced to do one damn thing. As long as he isn't doing drugs or being destructive people should leave him alone to do what he wants. If that means nothing so be it.

I have; I do.  I think half the time he sounds like he loves it, half the time he doesn't.  He has mental problems.  It's well documented he wouldn't do anything if not required to... we've been over all this before, we just disagree. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: September 08, 2006, 06:11:32 AM »

Dan you sign everything Love and Merci but what you wrote is very hostile. I never said I was right or that you are wrong. This is a hot issue, I don't want what I or others write to personally offend you but I don't applogise either  I have given detailed reasons of why I feel like I do. If I or anyone else has personal reasons for feeling the way they do then respect that. I am not trying to dangle a carrot in front of you, What I discuss here are things everyone CAN see publically. I am not trying to tease or hold back. Try not to take this so seriously, I like reading your posts normally but let's keep this all in perspective. Hopefully this responce doesn't make things worse  but please understand that what I say or don't say isn't up to you.

We can all see it publicly, but there are two ways to look at Brian's comments, though.  You can believe the negative things he says, or you can believe the positive things he says.  You choose to believe the negative things he says.  Think about that.  Why are you inclined to believe the negative but not the positive? 
MBE
« Reply #112 on: September 08, 2006, 06:54:18 AM »

I think agreeing to disagree is a good idea because this shouldn't be personal or make anyone angry. How I choose to think good or bad is totally dependent on the situation. Let me say a few good things. With Brian I do think winning a Grammy and the overall way Smile was recieved was a good thing for him. I like his last three albums quite a bit. I think the band treats him with much respect and that there are aspects of his last decade that creatively must have been satisfying. It made me very happy to see him. 

All I am trying to point out is our own wants as fans may not mesh with what he wants. I can't argue with some of the final results as a fan but  his comments lead me to two questions. First did getting to this high point career wise, come at the expense of his personal desires? Second what is the line between encouraging and presuring somebody? Is it so unreasonable that I ask this as an observer?
holeypeacoat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: September 08, 2006, 07:27:45 AM »

well I did have a post here but this discussion will never be resolved and it seems pointless to perpetuate it.  pm me if you give a flip about reading it...which I doubt anyone does.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2006, 07:32:54 AM by holeypeacoat » Logged
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: September 08, 2006, 08:34:43 AM »

All I am trying to point out is our own wants as fans may not mesh with what he wants. I can't argue with some of the final results as a fan but  his comments lead me to two questions. First did getting to this high point career wise, come at the expense of his personal desires? Second what is the line between encouraging and presuring somebody? Is it so unreasonable that I ask this as an observer?

I think what got a lot of people angry was the post(s) that said things like [paraphrased] "Trust me, David and Melinda are not what they seem." And "I can't reveal anything, but time will tell." That kind of thing. It seemed to imply that people had inside information and were just teasing to get attention. It also seemed extremely vitriolic toward David and Melinda, as if implying that there is no love or friendship involved at all-- as if they're these evil masterminds or something. That doesn't seem fair to say until you've got evidence supporting it that you're willing to share.
But if you're just speculating and questioning whether Brian is doing what he wants, then I don't have a problem with that. The only thing I have a problem with is taking every negative thing Brian says and ignoring every positive thing, because as Ron pointed out, Brian is depressed and apt to say negative things. He doesn't have a filter.
Dan Lega
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #115 on: September 08, 2006, 01:55:59 PM »

I read your post holeypolecat, and you said...  "Did he (Brian) feel better after he did it?  Not really the point to me."  Not really the point to you?  Why not?  Since when is the end result not part of the equation?  And for MBE, as Amy B. pointed out what I was alluding to was the fact that the folks on your side of the debate keep acting like there is some real underhanded coercion or something nefarious in the way that David Leaf and Melinda have gotten Brian to be productive.  Please let me know what you know.  As far as I know all they did was tell Brian that they thought it would good for him to be productive and ask him if would go along with plans they would like to set up.  Brian said yes -- and, by God, he followed through with it!  Yeah, it was scary and hard work for him, but I don't see him complaining that it was his wife's idea to do "SMiLE".  Sure, we all wish it had been his idea from the start, but seeing as it wasn't doesn't mean it still wasn't a great experience for him!

I went to music school, and the first time I had play piano in front of my classmates I was incredibly nervous.  My hands were literally shaking and I didn't play very well.  However, I lived through it and got more and more comfortable playing in front of people as each year went by.  Finally in my last year when I had to do it again I really fed off the vibe of playing live.  I was totally in the moment and played the piano piece better in front of a live audience than I ever played it in the practice room -- which was a total opposite of how things happened when I first started.  And let me tell you, that was a great, great feeling!  I'll never forget that sense of how into it I was.   So, yes, Brian admitted himself to the hospital during an early "SMiLE" practice session... but checked himself out when his wife showed up and went out to dinner with her.  He then went through all the practices for "SMiLE" and then... performed it in front a huge crowd.  He didn't chicken out, he sang every single note and didn't miss an entrance.  He says he was very scared to do it, but felt better almost as soon as they started, and was really glad to have finished it.  He's seems to be in much better spirits now, so please tell where the harm was -- and how sitting on his ass doing nothing would have been better.  From what I can see Brian felt much better about himself and life after finishing "SMiLE".  That's the evidence I'm seeing.

Love and merci,   Dan Lega

(Once again, as for my sign-off, I didn't choose that sign-off to try and tell everybody that I was some kind of truly enlightened being.  I'm a human being and I get pissed off sometime and I'm not going to let my signature get in my way.  I chose the signature only because I thought it was a clever twist of "Love And Mercy".  However, if you ever do see me leave the signature off, that's when you'll know I'm truly indignant!)   Cool Guy
endofposts
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: September 08, 2006, 04:15:31 PM »

I do have a problem with people that think the only alternative for Brian to making music is "sitting on his ass doing nothing."   He has three young children to stay home with and enjoy.  As long as he's not laying around being depressed, I'm sure he has things to do that have nothing to do with music.  At this point, music should be a fun hobby and outlet for him, not a burden that he must do, like some kind of household chore.  If that's what it amounts to, then no one should be pressuring him to record or tour.   A couple of projects he's been involved with have raised that question, particularly "Imagination."  But it seems his management (and I'm including the real management people, not just David and Melinda, who probably rely on these professional advisers) has hopefully learned from that experience, and if Brian is doing music now, it's on his own terms.  But if he chooses not to, I wouldn't be so patronizing as to say he's "sitting on his ass doing nothing," and ought to be prodded to do something, anything to do with music.
MBE
« Reply #117 on: September 09, 2006, 04:21:17 AM »

Forget Marie I concur with you totally.

Amy and Dan I am glad you both told me how you feel. We all care about Brian and want him happy.  Being honest while still respecting privacy is tricky. I feel I have done my best to keep my tone measured and only discuss what I am willing to publically disclouse. I want to point out that I read what everyone writes here and take it all into consideration. I just want everyone to look at things from all angles good and bad. I feel this board hardly ever lapses into to making anyone a saint or sinner.  I feel we have to respect  each others views, and make people feel able to air them. I hope we can all agree on that.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: September 09, 2006, 02:00:47 PM »

Once again, I will state for the record that my friend David Leaf does not have ANY input into the creative life of Brian Wilson. He works 70 hours a week producing and directing documentaries for LSL, and the Lennon film is merely the latest in a list of projects they are developing. If Brian is recording, it is because Brian wants to record. The results will be known next year. Speculation at this time seems pretty fruitless. I will say that based on previous product of Brian's, I'll probably like about 70% of the cd.

I think it's a shame that Brian, or Mike, or whoever cannot just put out a cd and receive honest response based on that cd's merits. It seems like every cd has to be a Pet Sounds or a Smile. Henry Aaron didn't homer every time he came to bat. Paul McCartney certainly doesn't hit the peaks of Revolver or Rubber Soul every time he does an album. Dylan seems to go through hot and cold periods....so does Pete Townshend.

Melinda may not be trained in management, but I will say one thing in her favor. She has helped Brian remain creative at a pace he desires to keep, and when he said he wanted to back off touring, she supported him. The various accusations flung back and forth between the first and second families are just that-they knew different Brians. Brian is a master politician and has a way of keeping everyone around him fighting so he doesn't have to be accountable, and this "What Brian wants to do sh*t" is just that. What Brian wants to do changes from hour to hour. Trying to keep his interest for an entire album is tough. That is why I think letting him just go in and record when he wants to, and then assembling an album out of the best of it is the best approach, and Melinda finally seems to have figured that out. Good for her.

If it runs amuck, call the duck
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #119 on: September 09, 2006, 02:37:53 PM »

The various accusations flung back and forth between the first and second families are just that-they knew different Brians. Brian is a master politician and has a way of keeping everyone around him fighting so he doesn't have to be accountable,

Huh. I never thought of it like that. Good point.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2006, 03:09:43 PM »

delete
« Last Edit: September 09, 2006, 03:35:38 PM by Sheriff John Stone » Logged
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: September 10, 2006, 12:47:05 PM »

Once again, Peter chimes in with the definitive post.

Peter, I look forward to the day when your book is published.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
MBE
« Reply #122 on: September 10, 2006, 02:29:23 PM »

Thanks Peter what you said makes sense on several levels.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx