gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 04:56:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian article  (Read 24481 times)
MBE
« on: August 19, 2006, 02:28:41 AM »

Look how thin Brian briefly got last Xmas. He looks heavier again recently
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/05353/624533-129.stm
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 04:35:19 AM »

Damn but that's a depressing interview - obviously one of Brian's bad days. Also depressing for some of the content.

And maybe this is me, but isn't it scary that we can now date photos of Brian by his teeth ?

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2006, 01:24:34 PM »

Those teeth look TOO white, very unnatural, as if the photo was 'shopped.

My wife talked to my record executive Clive Davis at Arista Records, and he said, "Yeah, go ahead and make an album."

Well, it was her idea to finish the "Smile" album, and we got it finished. It was all her idea.

Undecided

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2006, 10:25:40 PM »

It is sad the artistic results have been (in my eyes) pretty good since 99 but I don't think Brian "Wanted" to do any of it. He is a man in his 60s if he wants to retire let him.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2006, 08:29:19 AM »

No doubt, although I don't think that Brian necessarily doesn't WANT to make music...I think it's more along the lines he doesn't care what he does ,in any shape or form.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2006, 08:35:08 AM »

I think Brian does like making music, and sure he probably is happy to be so well liked. The point is why make him tour or record if he doesn't want to. The Paley sessions were his idea, maybe Love You, Spring, and all the albums through Sunflower had him working out of desire too. Yet as happy as I am to have seen him live and to have Smile as finished as it is ever gonna be, I hate that he is pushed into anything. He has paid his dues.
SMiLEY
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated Ruins Domino

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2006, 12:33:53 PM »

This has been gone over many times, but here it is again--

Brian is a complex person. He has said a lot of things that make everything seem a lot worse than it is. He says he hates performing, but he loves it when he's finally on stage and getting the love from the audience. He would not, in all probability, make goals for himself like finishing SMiLE, but once he's through the process he's much happier.

I'd think it would be much worse of Melinda (and DL) to simply let Brian veg out, which is what he did for thirty-odd years. It's quite possible that he would no longer even be alive if he hadn't got up off his behind and got into touring, recording, writing, etc.

And you know what? He knows it. He does complain publicly, as Charles says, on his bad days.  But, she wouldn't be much of a wife if she didn't prod him to achieve. Brian needs that Murray-like quality from her. He's always relied on being pushed, to a certain extent.

Look! Listen! Vibrate! SMiLE!
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2006, 12:42:39 PM »

Where's David Leaf and his books about how Brian is being paraded as caged bear when we need him?   Cheesy

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
rb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2006, 12:47:09 PM »

My guess is that he likes making music more than he does doing interviews.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2006, 12:51:22 PM »

Brian is a complex person. He has said a lot of things that make everything seem a lot worse than it is. He says he hates performing, but he loves it when he's finally on stage and getting the love from the audience. He would not, in all probability, make goals for himself like finishing SMiLE, but once he's through the process he's much happier.

I'd think it would be much worse of Melinda (and DL) to simply let Brian veg out, which is what he did for thirty-odd years. It's quite possible that he would no longer even be alive if he hadn't got up off his behind and got into touring, recording, writing, etc.

And you know what? He knows it. He does complain publicly, as Charles says, on his bad days.  But, she wouldn't be much of a wife if she didn't prod him to achieve. Brian needs that Murray-like quality from her. He's always relied on being pushed, to a certain extent.
Where's David Leaf and his books about how Brian is being paraded as caged bear when we need him?
It  depends on what Melinda's real motivations are. We don't know the whole story...well, some of us do, and just can't say nothing due to confidentiality. Let's just say things are not what they seem. Finding out the real truth is like playing leapfrog with a unicorn...difficult and quite painful.

MBE
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2006, 01:59:19 PM »

Murry may have been a product of his upbringing and he was VERY wrong to sell to A&M and I can understand why Mike and Brian went through mental anguish after they found out but..... I think he was the only one who really had Brian WANTING to succeed. Even if he had to make him mad, it worked. I think unlike Landy and those to follow he did at least try to have Brian's best interests at heart. I am not saying Brian should rot and die doing dope and eating five steaks for dinner, all I mean is that if a man who is well past 60 wants to retire he should be allowed to. I love the work Brian has done since 1999 in many ways, but there are those who used to bellyache that Brian shouldn't be made to tour are now doing it to him themselves. The Brian of 1965-74 was strong enough to choose if and when he toured or recorded. What has happened since is kind of sad. If he did or does get anything out of his solo career I am very happy for him but I think the only time he has been in control of his music since Adult Child was the Paley era. Please understand I don't know Brian, but I can see through thinly veiled PR. I again just hope he has some peace of mind. He owes nobody anything.

For those who have it listen carfully to what Ginger Blake says at the end of the A&E bio.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2006, 02:01:45 PM by MBE » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2006, 04:16:14 PM »

Very well put.

Pablo.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2006, 04:57:06 PM »

The thing really new (and negative) for me it's Brian saying that Davis picked all the carols.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2006, 06:39:12 PM »

Not so much surprised by that, as Davis does that for seemingly all his artists.

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2006, 06:57:52 PM »

Other than one short article, where Clive Davis was praising What I Really Want For Christmas, I haven't seen any follow-up articles, specifically if Clive signed Brian for another album, or if the Christmas album was a one off... 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2006, 07:07:58 PM »

I think it was a oneoff, as Brian never seems to have a  label for too long... not his fault either, but rather his, ahem, "management"

MBE
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2006, 10:45:33 PM »

The Xmas album is better then it had any right to be, I like it very much for what it is.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 21, 2006, 12:34:29 AM »

I'm 90% sure both his chin/neck and his teeth were photoshopped in that picture. And I'm a graphic designer, so I should know.  Cool Guy
« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 12:39:26 AM by shelter » Logged
MBE
« Reply #18 on: August 21, 2006, 12:44:21 AM »

It would not surprise me. He was photoshopped in 1975 for SOA for the 72 pic.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: August 21, 2006, 02:21:57 AM »

I'm 90% sure both his chin/neck and his teeth were photoshopped in that picture. And I'm a graphic designer, so I should know.  Cool Guy

Brian stated in September 2004 that he'd had something like $60,000 worth of dental work done.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2006, 05:15:45 AM »

Brian stated in September 2004 that he'd had something like $60,000 worth of dental work done.

Could be, but the photo just looks very unnatural. And I'm pretty sure about the neck/chin thing.
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2006, 05:23:18 AM »

In this close-up you can clearly see the picture was photoshopped.

« Last Edit: August 21, 2006, 05:25:52 AM by shelter » Logged
MBE
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2006, 05:55:12 AM »

Boy it sure was a hack job. The teeth thing I have noticed in recent interviews too. Remember the Friends where Ross teeth glow in the dark LOL.
Swamp Pirate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 21, 2006, 06:11:27 AM »

And you know what? He knows it. He does complain publicly, as Charles says, on his bad days. But, she wouldn't be much of a wife if she didn't prod him to achieve. Brian needs that Murray-like quality from her. He's always relied on being pushed, to a certain extent.
Where's David Leaf and his books about how Brian is being paraded as caged bear when we need him?
It depends on what Melinda's real motivations are. We don't know the whole story...well, some of us do, and just can't say nothing due to confidentiality. Let's just say things are not what they seem. Finding out the real truth is like playing leapfrog with a unicorn...difficult and quite painful.

Billy, I would be more concerned if Melinda:

-co-wrote and co-produced songs with Brian
-ghost wrote his autobiography
-would be constantly out there self-promoting herself as the one who brought Brian back.

I don't claim to have any 'inside' info here.  All I can go by Brian's productivity over the past ten years and a show in Michigan last year.  Brian was into his second song when Melinda finally made it to her seat (just a few rows in front of us incidentally) and Brian's face literally lit up, big smile and everything. 
MBE
« Reply #24 on: August 21, 2006, 08:10:40 AM »

Swamp Pirate I know Billy is going out of town and I don't presume I can answer your questions for him. So I can only offer what I think.

Brian undoubtedly cares for his wife. He also cared about Landy. Your first two points are valid as far as what she has not done. I disagree though that she has stayed in the background. Watch IJWMFTT, the AnE bio, the 4 solo DVDs Brian has put out, the Larry King interview. Have you ever seen Mike, Bruce, Al, or Carl's wives interviewed? Dennis wives, even Karen, never had as high of a media profile. Marilyn had some press because of her music career and she has participated in some of the coverage on Brian. Yet outside of the music they did togther, I never heard Brian say that she told him to record,  tour, etc.

If Melinda has helped Brian then great. I have never spoke to her, and I only can go on my own and others observations. To me it all boils down to Brian having personal and artistic freedom. I never want to think the worst about people, but I am not convinced that he does. I would be happy if my fears proove unfounded.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx