gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:18:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 'Good Vibrations' in new horror flick 'Us'  (Read 1951 times)
Summertime Blooz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 23, 2019, 01:40:21 PM »

Just got back from the new hit movie 'Us'. There is a major and ironic use of the song in a quite horrifying scene. The movie is good and provocative though not as much so as Jordan Peele's previous one 'Get Out'. Anybody else see it? What did you think of the song's use?

Please visit 'The American(a) Trip Slideshow' where you can watch the videos and listen to fan mixes of all the Smile songs: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doOws3284PQ&list=PLptIp1kEl6BWNpXyJ_mb20W4ZqJ14-Hgg
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2019, 12:37:03 PM »

I liked the use of the song. Actually, any time I hear a Beach Boys song in films nowadays, it almost seems out of place. The music is timeless and I always like to hear them regardless of the context - but it often feels like they needed a specific part of the song, but the rest of it did not go with it, but they said "the heck with it".

This time, I enjoyed the irony, but once the first 30 minutes was gone, I thought the movie was cringeworthy. I had such high hopes after 'Get Out'.
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 01:43:47 PM »

Just got back from seeing it. I’m a horror buff, I liked the beginning then it kind of fell off towards the end for me.. loved the use of Good Vibrations.
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 04:11:41 AM »

Just heard another recent use of GV by chance: a copycat quoting the whole (electro-)theremin part of it in an otherwise unrelated popsong?  Anyone else heard it. If so please forward name/title & link!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 04:22:33 AM by >PapaLaPap< » Logged

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2019, 12:55:42 PM »

I have a strong dislike for the horror genre, so I won't be seeing Us despite the rave reviews. But I found an interesting article on using "Good Vibes" in the film from Variety:

Jordan Peele’s ‘Us’ Music: How the Beach Boys and N.W.A Came to Anchor a Great Horror Playlist

https://variety.com/2019/music/news/jordan-peeles-us-music-festival-how-the-beach-boys-and-n-w-a-came-to-anchor-a-great-horror-playlist-1203171071/

Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2019, 10:21:02 PM »

I have a strong dislike for the horror genre, so I won't be seeing Us despite the rave reviews.

I feel like even people who aren't into horror can enjoy Us and Get Out.  They're more reminiscent of classic sci-fi like The Twilight Zone (which not so coincidentally is being revived by Jordan Peele) than a lot of the modern generic horror flicks (which I would agree are for the most part awful).  I did see Us this past weekend and I absolutely loved it and the use of "Good Vibrations" was pretty cool.

gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx