gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
646523 Posts in 25867 Topics by 3685 Members - Latest Member: Green Street Green May 22, 2019, 02:09:30 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Opera, anybody?  (Read 2445 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2019, 02:36:17 PM »

This topic is old (the previous post was over eight years ago!) but I need an opera topic and if there's one available, why start a new one for the two or three posts it's going to get?

This is a subject close to my heart these days thanks to a good friend many years my junior. Lucia Lucas was and still is a world-class baritone since transitioning.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wp9EHoL5akM

https://www.theguardian.com/music/2019/apr/30/don-giovanni-trans-opera-singer-lucia-lucas

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2019, 06:31:54 AM »

I like opera, but I went to Rigoletto this afternoon and really didn't care for it.

I may be crucified for this, but I think much of Verdi's works verge on "extremely boring".

Well, how many have you heard/seen?  He wrote over twenty, so to say that "much" of his works verge on boring means you've seen, at the very least, 14 Verdi operas, which would be, I suppose, just over half of them, depending on if we throw in the Requiem.  If you've seen 14 Verdi operas, then you're pretty hardcore, because it's mostly a handful that get the most attention.

With Verdi, I feel like there's something for everybody--Historical Dramas, Fairy Tales, Love Stories, Boston, Africa, Spain, Italy...you can travel around the world. 

I'm surprised Peter didn't like Rigoletto.  The great arias from that are almost Brian Wilson pop.  La Donna e Mobile is one of the most hummable melodies of all time, Caro Nome, Ella mi fu Rapita, Possente Amor, etc, etc--all great stuff.  But that's taste for you, I guess.

Of course, It helps when you have very good singers, which you can't always rely on.

My view of Verdi has softened since I last posted. Maybe it's because I am getting older. I dunno.  LOL (for the record, at the time I posted, I had personally attended Otello, Falstaff, MacBeth, Luisa Miller, La Traviata, Il Trovatore, and Rigoletto. I have made a point of listening to his earlier opera's lately though.  Just finished listening to Nabucco last weekend whilst Spring cleaning) Smiley
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2019, 10:59:32 AM »

It would be cool to tempt aeijtzsche back to this topic. Her views always make interesting reading.

I've since added Berlioz's Les Troyens to operas I enjoy, bringing that list up to a grand total of two (the other being Wozzeck). 

I once sat through Puccini's Turandot--a friend of a friend was singing in it. Let's say I survived. Grin

Actually I love orchestral music from operas. It really does help when everyone keeps their gob shut. LOL

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 03, 2019, 06:11:56 PM »

I used to be able to attend operas regularly , or at least live broadcasts in a local theater featuring the New York Metropolitan Opera. Occasionally I would listen on the radio.

Can't do links on my tablet but there's a commercial online - Met Texaco Commercial - that ran for many years here in the US. Showed that even out in the middle of nowhere cowboys could enjoy the opera!

Nowadays I can't get out for the theater shows, and don't have 3 plus uninterrupted hours available on Saturday afternoons to listen to the broadcasts. But I can still listen to individual arias and duets.

One of my faves is Bizet's The Pearl Fishers.
Hope you can listen to duet by Jussi Bjorling and Robert Merrill . Heavenly.

Also aria by Bjorling, Je Crois Entendre Encore.
And if you wish, David Gilmour (!) does a credible take on this song.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2019, 08:59:51 PM »

I just got a bachelor's in voice today. Have lots of stories to tell froy experiences in the opera world. I just wrapped up a production of La Scala di Seta, an obscure Rossini opera, bell canto Italian composer as the tenor lead. Hard af music, like Handel on steroids to sing.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 04, 2019, 01:30:16 AM »

I used to be able to attend operas regularly , or at least live broadcasts in a local theater featuring the New York Metropolitan Opera. Occasionally I would listen on the radio.

Can't do links on my tablet but there's a commercial online - Met Texaco Commercial - that ran for many years here in the US. Showed that even out in the middle of nowhere cowboys could enjoy the opera!

Nowadays I can't get out for the theater shows, and don't have 3 plus uninterrupted hours available on Saturday afternoons to listen to the broadcasts. But I can still listen to individual arias and duets.

One of my faves is Bizet's The Pearl Fishers.
Hope you can listen to duet by Jussi Bjorling and Robert Merrill . Heavenly.

Also aria by Bjorling, Je Crois Entendre Encore.
And if you wish, David Gilmour (!) does a credible take on this song.

Just a few posts into this revived topic and true to form I've already insulted at least two posters with one of my famous sweeping statements. LOL I'm so very sorry, folks.

Glad to see you around again, Lizzie. Smiley

Is this the commercial you mean? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TCHx1RG4fPA

And here are Björling and Merrill: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PYt2HlBuyI

Now I think of it, this duet is a favourite of my wife's. I must admit it sounds very classy. You may convert this philistine yet. Grin

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2019, 01:39:02 AM »

I just got a bachelor's in voice today. Have lots of stories to tell froy experiences in the opera world. I just wrapped up a production of La Scala di Seta, an obscure Rossini opera, bell canto Italian composer as the tenor lead. Hard af music, like Handel on steroids to sing.

Congrats, FHCS.  Wow. Roll Eyes

Is The Silken Ladder obscure? I know and love the Overture (Rossini overtures are wonderfully uplifting):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CRjm0dkLO3k

I for one would love to hear about your experiences in the opera world, so please feel free! Smiley

NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2019, 02:05:29 PM »

I also love instrumental music in operas. Carmen is particularly great.
And vocal selections are packaged as instrumentals to be performed in symphony concerts. One of my favorites is Britten's "Four Sea Interludes" from his opera Peter Grimes.
 "Dawn" gave me goosebumps.
« Last Edit: May 04, 2019, 02:06:25 PM by NOLA BB Fan » Logged

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2019, 03:35:32 PM »

I also love instrumental music in operas. Carmen is particularly great.
And vocal selections are packaged as instrumentals to be performed in symphony concerts. One of my favorites is Britten's "Four Sea Interludes" from his opera Peter Grimes.
 "Dawn" gave me goosebumps.

Wow. I heard a live performance of the Britten "Interludes" only last week! What a brooding, ominous picture they paint. You just know disaster is going to strike. Yes, those menacing brass chords in "Dawn"! Roll Eyes

Here are all four interludes under Paavo Järvi:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VTd2aXLTA84

It took me literally decades to catch onto old Benjy Britt. In the end it was "my" choir's rehearsals and performance of his Hymn to St Cecilia that converted me.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Peter_Grimes

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx