gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 07:40:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike working on yet another new album  (Read 51641 times)
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: August 14, 2019, 06:27:47 AM »

Does anyone else think "California Beach" sounds a lot like a lesser Jan & Dean track? Along the lines of "Malibu Beach," "Waimea Bay," or  "Horace, The Swingin' School Bus Driver," but with less oompf to it?
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: August 14, 2019, 08:43:58 AM »

“The only way anything will change in the band members' lifetimes is some extreme event like Mike being charged and/or convicted of some serious crime or something of that nature”

Wouldn’t his solo albums qualify as that?

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL You' got that right!! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t! w00t!

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: August 14, 2019, 10:12:55 AM »

positivemusic,

As a huge J&D fan I actually agree with you on that one. California Beach to me actually sounds like something they would've done in Phase II. It would fit nicely with the stuff on Port To Paradise or Second Wave. Most of the Phase I J&D stuff really rocked, which California Beach doesn't, but Phase II had some more mellow soft rock tunes like Ocean Park Angel, How I Love Her and She's Dancing.
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: August 14, 2019, 10:43:15 AM »

positivemusic,

As a huge J&D fan I actually agree with you on that one. California Beach to me actually sounds like something they would've done in Phase II. It would fit nicely with the stuff on Port To Paradise or Second Wave. Most of the Phase I J&D stuff really rocked, which California Beach doesn't, but Phase II had some more mellow soft rock tunes like Ocean Park Angel, How I Love Her and She's Dancing.

Nate, I can definitely see that fitting in Phase II, as well. Another good comparison might be with "Hawaiian Mirage," though I do like that one better than "California Beach."

I'm also a big fan of the much under-appreciated Jan & Dean!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #254 on: August 14, 2019, 11:54:04 AM »

positivemusic,

How, how I love her may be the greatest "love song you never heard".

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
positivemusic
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: August 14, 2019, 12:09:12 PM »

positivemusic,

How, how I love her may be the greatest "love song you never heard".

I can get behind that. But, personally, I'm pretty fond of "That's The Way It Is" and "Love Her Tonight."
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: August 15, 2019, 08:25:35 AM »

Man, those are all super overlooked cuts.

How How I Love Her is a masterpiece in my opinion. The arrangement is splendid, and you can feel the ache in every chord change. Especially in the chorus. The strings blasting, harmonies locked in, the lyrics. I love the dynamics in the song, and the interesting pickups.

That's The Way It Is is another classic. I love the way the electric guitars, bass, and cellos all work together. I've always felt a real emotional weight with this song. Super nice arrangement quirk, how when Jan sings "I hear violins softly in the night", the violins come in. This song has great dynamics- going from quiet and soft to loud and rocking- something Jan had really mastered in the mid 60's and continued to use. Spector's productions were like a constant booming sound, whereas Jan's tended to have dynamics and built from soft to loud.

Love Her Tonight may be the last true Jan Berry classic (even though I really enjoy most of the songs on Second Wave). The chord changes are sublime, and those strings and backing harmonies really tug at the heart strings.

Jan's obviously struggled to varying degrees, vocally, on these songs, but he sounds comfortable and confident on them. You can tell there was still music in his heart that he needed to express after the accident; nothing changed in that respect. The complex, almost Classical-like arrangements were still there in his head.

Anyway, maybe the reason I'm actually enjoying the 12 Sides Of Summer as a whole, is it definitely has a J&D Phase II feel all around. Soft summer rock. Some tender moments, some fun moments. Nothing too serious, but cool attention to musical detail. Call me a heretic, but I actually find myself enjoying 12 Sides Of Summer (and UTL) on the same level that I do NPP, Postcards, and TWGMTR. They're not perfect albums, but I couldn't be more thankful to have new studio albums from any of the BBs, in any combination. Mike and Brian's recent solo efforts have suffered from autotune and synthetic sounding production, but 12 Sides Of Summer sounds wayyyy more natural than UTL or NPP in my opinion.  To me, it's just a really fun BBs sounding lp, with some cuts that I've been wanting for years, and some new surprises. I don't think anyone involved would want you to take 12SOS seriously as an important work of art, just blast it driving in your car, or mixed in with some of the upbeats 70's and 80's material, and you might find yourself enjoying it.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx