gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:58:54 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike working on yet another new album  (Read 51599 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #200 on: July 26, 2019, 09:45:38 AM »

To be clear, as I understand it, anything sold at shows with the "Beach Boys" name on it is something which Mike pays BRI for in some form or another. I would imagine Mike's touring company and/or another clothing distributor essentially pays for a "merchandise" license from BRI, and/or in conjunction with that BRI gets a cut of any "Beach Boys" branded merchandise sold at shows.

I'm frankly surprised Mike doesn't *leave off* the BB name on "12 Sides of Summer" stuff so that he *doesn't* have to give BRI a cut of that particular merchandise. But I would imagine "Beach Boys" merch sells better than "Mike Love" merch at Mike's BB shows.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 09:46:51 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: July 26, 2019, 09:53:32 AM »

As we said many times before, Mike has no shame and BRI doesn't give a flying f*** anymore, so it seems. Or else they just don't want to spend any more time or money dealing with Mike in a legal capacity if they do challenge this nonsense. War of attrition, or something like that, where Mike's legal actions have come so swiftly and in such great numbers in the past, they don't want to deal with it.

Speaking of numbers...How many of these products actually sell at Mike's concerts? Fans may not know the ins and outs of all the history, but they're not stupid either...They know the difference between "The Beach Boys" and a Mike Love solo project.

If we say that, we're "haters" or "toxic" I guess, even though it's pretty smarmy to do. But again, Mike keeps doing it.

So how much of this schwag does he actually sell? Is anyone buying it?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 26, 2019, 10:12:23 AM »

I can only speak from the shows I've been to, but I was quite surprised last year when I was seeing The BBs in Milwaukee, most of the merch was sold out by the end of the night- a couple keychains, very few t shirts, and reportedly there good UTL sales (I asked, I was curious)
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: July 26, 2019, 10:35:12 AM »

Top of my want-list is a Mike Love keychain, for sure...or would that be a Beach Boys keychain promoting a Mike Love solo album? Hmm.

It always comes back to the question why can't Mike Love just play it straight down the line, and do his own stuff as "Mike Love" while following the license and doing "The Beach Boys" material on its terms and legacy. Selling T-shirts and merch with Mike's solo album cover graphics and title on them as Beach Boys t-shirts, with a Beach Boys name and logo? That's nuts.

If there are fans buying them, I guess it's no surprise considering how many people bought the pet rock in the 70's.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 26, 2019, 10:43:12 AM »

As we said many times before, Mike has no shame and BRI doesn't give a flying f*** anymore, so it seems. Or else they just don't want to spend any more time or money dealing with Mike in a legal capacity if they do challenge this nonsense. War of attrition, or something like that, where Mike's legal actions have come so swiftly and in such great numbers in the past, they don't want to deal with it.

Speaking of numbers...How many of these products actually sell at Mike's concerts? Fans may not know the ins and outs of all the history, but they're not stupid either...They know the difference between "The Beach Boys" and a Mike Love solo project.

If we say that, we're "haters" or "toxic" I guess, even though it's pretty smarmy to do. But again, Mike keeps doing it.

It really makes one wonder what album content Mike Love might release under The Beach Boys name if he had full legal right to do so. I imagine UTL, 12 Sides of Summer, and perhaps a slew of even more content unworthy of the brand name would be happily paraded around as Beach Boys Product. I think Mike would be more prolific with releasing more, more, more under the brand name if he could.

The current situation, while not quite as bad, is still unbelievably infuriating considering how much Mike bemoaned "brand confusion" in 2005, and saddled his cousin with legal garbage as though he was going out of his way to spoil Brian's BWPS triumph in a time period when Brian was finally getting some 40 years of emotional baggage off his chest. It seemed so incredibly vindictive and intentionally spiteful. I cannot stand that hypocrisy when compared to Mike's current actions with his solo album conflated with his "Beach Boys" tour, nor can I understand how it simply doesn't bother some fans. I concur that everyone in BRI probably just stopped caring to fight legally with someone who is going to be a legal bully, which is seemingly why nobody challenges this stuff anymore.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 10:47:33 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #205 on: July 26, 2019, 10:49:47 AM »

12 Sides Of Summer was number 17 on the UK Independent Album Breakers Top 20 this week (a chart for artists who haven't had a top 20 album).

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #206 on: July 26, 2019, 10:50:54 AM »

It really makes one wonder what album content Mike Love might release under The Beach Boys name if he had full legal right to do so. I imagine UTL, 12 Sides of Summer, and perhaps a slew of even more content unworthy of the brand name would be happily paraded around as Beach Boys Product. I think Mike would be more prolific with releasing more, more, more under the brand name if he could.

The current situation, while not quite as bad, is still unbelievably infuriating considering how much Mike bemoaned "brand confusion" in 2005, and saddled his cousin with legal garbage as though he was going out of his way to spoil Brian's BWPS triumph in a time period when Brian was finally getting some 40 years of emotional baggage off his chest. It seemed so incredibly vindictive and intentionally spiteful. I cannot stand that hypocrisy when compared to Mike's current actions with his solo album conflated with his "Beach Boys" tour, nor can I understand how it simply doesn't bother some fans. I concur that everyone just stopped caring to fight legally with someone who is going to be a legal bully, which is seemingly why nobody challenges this stuff anymore.

Mike has been openly parading his own solo material as "Beach Boys" material for years now. How many TV appearances were billed as The Beach Boys only to see them performing one of Mike's solo releases? Too many. And for the average person watching these things, they see Mark McGrath shouting "DO IT!" and mugging for the camera with Mike and think that's The Beach Boys.

Now it's Mike touring his solo release using the brand power of the name Beach Boys to help hawk the solo stuff and related merch.

I join you in not understanding how it simply doesn't bother the fan base any more than someone gave the example of McCartney or Ringo billing his solo stuff as The Beatles. Or selling his solo merch with "THE BEATLES" label on the items. It would be so crazy it would be an international joke.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: July 26, 2019, 10:59:42 AM »

12 Sides Of Summer was number 17 on the UK Independent Album Breakers Top 20 this week (a chart for artists who haven't had a top 20 album).

Well, pop the champagne bottles!

Two quick points: Mike's album is 6 positions behind the new album from cartoon character "Peppa Pig".

And it's jarring in a way to see the other entries on what most would say are truly independent labels, while Mike's label is listed as "BMG", which is of course the name of one of the largest music corporations in the world. How is a record on "BMG" an indie release?

BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #208 on: July 26, 2019, 11:26:07 AM »

Two quick points: Mike's album is 6 positions behind the new album from cartoon character "Peppa Pig".

And it's jarring in a way to see the other entries on what most would say are truly independent labels, while Mike's label is listed as "BMG", which is of course the name of one of the largest music corporations in the world. How is a record on "BMG" an indie release?

Obviously it isn't an amazing achievement. But, it's not like any of us, including Mike or BMG, was expecting it to top the charts. By getting into that chart it can be presumed it did better in the UK than either UTL or RFTS did, so they'll be happy.

Still, kids TV show music is big business - Bob the Builder has had as many number ones singles in the UK as the Beach Boys did...

Also, for whatever reason, BMG is counted as an indie by the OCC - number 9 in the main Independent Album Charts is also on BMG. Its not the only one on the list - WaterTower Music is a Warner thing and Rise Records is also BMG owned and both are also in the Indie Breakers list.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #209 on: July 26, 2019, 11:47:22 AM »

Obviously it isn't an amazing achievement. But, it's not like any of us, including Mike or BMG, was expecting it to top the charts. By getting into that chart it can be presumed it did better in the UK than either UTL or RFTS did, so they'll be happy.

Still, kids TV show music is big business - Bob the Builder has had as many number ones singles in the UK as the Beach Boys did...

Also, for whatever reason, BMG is counted as an indie by the OCC - number 9 in the main Independent Album Charts is also on BMG. Its not the only one on the list - WaterTower Music is a Warner thing and Rise Records is also BMG owned and both are also in the Indie Breakers list.

It just adds to my suspicion that this "chart" is a sham, when you have these labels that are under the umbrellas of the largest music corporations in the world being listed on an "independent" chart. It's pure crap! The true indie labels and artists that are on this ersatz chart, more power to them...but c'mon, calling releases that are under the BMG or Warner umbrellas "indie"? 

I'm well aware of the power and success of kids TV music, in fact since it's been 20 years or so I wonder how many people realize Simon Cowell made a name for himself by getting a Teletubbies record on the popular charts back in the day.

And Peppa Pig, yes that is a franchise that has grossed and brings in literally hundreds of millions in revenue...so what's it doing on an "indie" music list if it's a multi-million grossing franchise?

Makes no sense.

BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #210 on: July 26, 2019, 12:10:45 PM »

It just adds to my suspicion that this "chart" is a sham, when you have these labels that are under the umbrellas of the largest music corporations in the world being listed on an "independent" chart. It's pure crap! The true indie labels and artists that are on this ersatz chart, more power to them...but c'mon, calling releases that are under the BMG or Warner umbrellas "indie"?  

I'm well aware of the power and success of kids TV music, in fact since it's been 20 years or so I wonder how many people realize Simon Cowell made a name for himself by getting a Teletubbies record on the popular charts back in the day.

And Peppa Pig, yes that is a franchise that has grossed and brings in literally hundreds of millions in revenue...so what's it doing on an "indie" music list if it's a multi-million grossing franchise?

Makes no sense.

They have an rules enquiry email address, so I'll ask them. https://www.officialcharts.com/who-we-are/contact-us/

Still I was similarly confused and did more digging and it seems that the rules are basically just if its not owned by Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group or Sony Music Entertainment.

BMG is actually BMG Rights Management. It is not owned by Sony.
It was formed out of the parts of Sony BMG that Bertelsmann kept when Sony acquired the rest. So its not owned by Sony anymore.

Similarly, the label Peppa Pig came out on isn't on a major record label - its on eOne Music, a label owned by the TV/film company that own Peppa Pig. eOne is apparently the largest indie label in America.

In fact even that WaterTower Music that is owned by Warner is owned by the WarnerMedia - which doesn't own Warner Music Group anymore.

So while all these are owned by multibillion dollar companies, they aren't owned by the three multibillion dollar record labels so don't count as major label it seems.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2019, 12:15:43 PM by BeachBoysCovers » Logged

UEF
Smiley Smile Associate

Sheriff John-ston

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 27, 2019, 08:11:46 AM »

Hey, at least the 2019 version of Surfin' has some instruments on it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=plvvOo4308s
« Last Edit: July 27, 2019, 08:12:25 AM by UEF » Logged
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 29, 2019, 05:33:11 AM »

Makes no sense.

They have an rules enquiry email address, so I'll ask them. https://www.officialcharts.com/who-we-are/contact-us/

Still I was similarly confused and did more digging and it seems that the rules are basically just if its not owned by Universal Music Group, Warner Music Group or Sony Music Entertainment.

It was formed out of the parts of Sony BMG that Bertelsmann kept when Sony acquired the rest. So its not owned by Sony anymore.

Similarly, the label Peppa Pig came out on isn't on a major record label - its on eOne Music, a label owned by the TV/film company that own Peppa Pig. eOne is apparently the largest indie label in America.

In fact even that WaterTower Music that is owned by Warner is owned by the WarnerMedia - which doesn't own Warner Music Group anymore.

So while all these are owned by multibillion dollar companies, they aren't owned by the three multibillion dollar record labels so don't count as major label it seems.
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 29, 2019, 05:35:36 AM »

Makes no sense.

Number 616 on Amazon Top CD Chart this morning
timbnash68
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 29, 2019, 05:58:20 AM »

Mikes album is currently Number 616 on the Amazon CD Sales Chart. It has not charted on the Billboard Top 200........Amazon and Billboard Top 200 are the respected industry standards for charts in my opinion.  Along with Sound Scan which is not readily available to the public.. As memory serves, TWGMTR was Number One on the Amazon Chart for many days. TWGMTR debuted at Number 3 on the Billboard Top 200 Chart. I remember reading somewhere, maybe Mikes book that Mike thought that while a number 3 debut was ok, the album  ( TWGMTR) didn't get any higher than Number Three so it wasn't that big of a deal !  Or something like that. If I remember correctly  NPP also peaked in the Top 15 of the Billboard Top 200.  Having said that,  there are many sub charts in both Amazon as well as Billboard. For example Top Country , Urban , AC, etc..... The Indie chart was usually reserved for Alternative  albums released by companies that had no major label distribution.   BMG is for certain a major label. I would guess that to qualify  Mike has a  label imprint with BMG and is not signed directly to the BMG label. So if you really  analyze this, the chart position as an Indie release would be technically correct. Although once again, Mike becomes his own worse enemy If he indeed were to boast that his solo record was TOP 17 because of this Indie qualification while saying that The last Beach Boy Record wasn't that well received. The sales difference between the two charts are miles apart. Even these days , or in 2012  a Top 3 Billboard Record would be somewhere north of 70,000 actual sales! I would venture to guess that Mikes solo album has sold less than 5,000 units to date. Im still happy to hear new music from Mike and compliment him that at age 75 plus he still cares enough to at least try. But lets cut the B S  as far as chart position.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 29, 2019, 07:31:54 AM »

If they are selling the cd at the Beach Boy concert concession stands, they are likely selling a few hundred each night. 150 shows a year works out to another 30,000 units. not sure if Billboard would have a way to count that in their total. not mindblowing but SIP numbers will likely be surpassed over time.

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: July 29, 2019, 10:07:51 AM »

Let me just say this, repeating something I think I posted recently in another thread. The CD as a format that people buy new is pretty much dead at this point. I honestly don't know too many people who buy "new" CD's, or brick-and-mortar record stores which still stock and sell CD's in any significant number. If we're talking about Mike selling CD's at his Beach Boys merch tables, I again have to question how many people are actually buying them, and if those sales would even put a dent in any kind of sales/chart numbers anyway.

Just take an informal survey among friends, co-workers, or fellow shoppers at record shops and see when the last CD they bought really happened, or even ask if they still buy CD's over vinyl or downloads/streams. It's pretty eye-opening, but I think it relevant if we're discussing how many CD albums Mike has been selling.

Also - Wasn't there a lawsuit brought up years ago about counting albums given away with concert tickets as actual sales to be tallied for chart positioning? I can't recall the details, something tells me it involved Prince? Can't remember.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:09:00 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 29, 2019, 10:14:14 AM »

Also - Wasn't there a lawsuit brought up years ago about counting albums given away with concert tickets as actual sales to be tallied for chart positioning? I can't recall the details, something tells me it involved Prince? Can't remember.

Prince. Musicology. I like the album a lot but it was included in the ticket price and had gotten him his first number one album since like maybe Diamonds and Pearls or something. And after this Billboard changed the rules apparently.

No lawsuit as far as I know though. Just Billboard changing the rules.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2019, 10:15:03 AM by Jim V. » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: July 29, 2019, 10:15:55 AM »

Mikes album is currently Number 616 on the Amazon CD Sales Chart. It has not charted on the Billboard Top 200........Amazon and Billboard Top 200 are the respected industry standards for charts in my opinion.  Along with Sound Scan which is not readily available to the public.. As memory serves, TWGMTR was Number One on the Amazon Chart for many days. TWGMTR debuted at Number 3 on the Billboard Top 200 Chart. I remember reading somewhere, maybe Mikes book that Mike thought that while a number 3 debut was ok, the album  ( TWGMTR) didn't get any higher than Number Three so it wasn't that big of a deal !  Or something like that. If I remember correctly  NPP also peaked in the Top 15 of the Billboard Top 200.  Having said that,  there are many sub charts in both Amazon as well as Billboard. For example Top Country , Urban , AC, etc..... The Indie chart was usually reserved for Alternative  albums released by companies that had no major label distribution.   BMG is for certain a major label. I would guess that to qualify  Mike has a  label imprint with BMG and is not signed directly to the BMG label. So if you really  analyze this, the chart position as an Indie release would be technically correct. Although once again, Mike becomes his own worse enemy If he indeed were to boast that his solo record was TOP 17 because of this Indie qualification while saying that The last Beach Boy Record wasn't that well received. The sales difference between the two charts are miles apart. Even these days , or in 2012  a Top 3 Billboard Record would be somewhere north of 70,000 actual sales! I would venture to guess that Mikes solo album has sold less than 5,000 units to date. Im still happy to hear new music from Mike and compliment him that at age 75 plus he still cares enough to at least try. But lets cut the B S  as far as chart position.

The last line in bold, agree 100% with that. The chart system overall in terms of where it is in 2019 is FUBAR. It's so segmented, watered down, and ridiculous that it's nothing like it was even a decade ago, let alone where it was in the 60's which is what many of us including Mike would use as a reference. The sales chart biz is an industry that still has not caught up with technology or listening habits, and instead puts out useless stats like this "indie" chart referenced above.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #219 on: July 29, 2019, 10:17:48 AM »

Prince. Musicology. I like the album a lot but it was included in the ticket price and had gotten him his first number one album since like maybe Diamonds and Pearls or something. And after this Billboard changed the rules apparently.

Cool, thanks for the info! I thought there was legal action taken...maybe that was something more recent that referenced Prince, someone like DJ Khalid filing suit because of the way his sales were tallied and how he didn't get a #1 placement? I'll look it up when I can, but thanks for the info!

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 29, 2019, 10:58:50 AM »

If Mike is selling his solo CDs at "Beach Boys" shows, then all of Brian's solo catalog should be for sale at the merch booth too...
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: July 29, 2019, 11:37:22 AM »

If Mike is selling his solo CDs at "Beach Boys" shows, then all of Brian's solo catalog should be for sale at the merch booth too...

They better be selling David Mark's Work Tapes too...

The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 29, 2019, 12:06:17 PM »

Absolutely! The only fly in the ointment being that Brian would have to sell Mike's awful CD's as well and I wouldn't want to see that quite honestly.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 29, 2019, 09:25:57 PM »

Cool, thanks for the info! I thought there was legal action taken...maybe that was something more recent that referenced Prince, someone like DJ Khalid filing suit because of the way his sales were tallied and how he didn't get a #1 placement? I'll look it up when I can, but thanks for the info!

Ah. I did hear about Khaled going into his label offices and kicking up a fuss that he lost the number one spot for his latest album to somebody else. Maybe Tyler the Creator or somebody. Can't remember. But I did not know that there was a lawsuit. I haven't been paying attention to Khaled. I'm a decent hip-hop fan, though I really prefer artists who started in the '80s and '90s (Dr. Dre, Snoop Doggy Dogg, Beastie Boys, OutKast), but admit a lot of the current stuff just doesn't do it for me.
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #224 on: July 30, 2019, 09:57:02 AM »

For a new record, there has been very limited conversation about this release in any of the usual online BB's places.

Really seems to be little interest which kinda surprises me as there is not much else happening in the BB's world.

Talk of chart placings seems pointless when even hardcore BB's fans are not particularly bothered.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx