gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:46:57 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike working on yet another new album  (Read 51609 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 05, 2019, 12:36:44 PM »

I can’t help but think this album would have been a great opportunity for Mike to reclaim “Almost Summer” and bring it back into setlists. Not that a 2019 recording of “Almost Summer” would be particularly revelatory, but it would at least be more interesting than another remake of “Surfin’” and could have introduced casual fans to the song.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 05, 2019, 01:10:06 PM »

I can’t help but think this album would have been a great opportunity for Mike to reclaim “Almost Summer” and bring it back into setlists. Not that a 2019 recording of “Almost Summer” would be particularly revelatory, but it would at least be more interesting than another remake of “Surfin’” and could have introduced casual fans to the song.

It's really, really weird how Mike has excluded that song from pretty much all areas when he has gone back to the well for so many inferior old songs. It's as if he's forgotten about it, or feels it has the cooties. Almost Summer is a surprisingly solid tune, although some of the lyrics probably didn't age all that well.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 05, 2019, 07:26:37 PM »

It's really, really weird how Mike has excluded that song from pretty much all areas when he has gone back to the well for so many inferior old songs. It's as if he's forgotten about it, or feels it has the cooties. Almost Summer is a surprisingly solid tune, although some of the lyrics probably didn't age all that well.

Agreed with both of you guys. I'm of the opinion that "Almost Summer" is the best "solo" tune of Mike's, though I guess it should be pointed out that a certain Brian Wilson and Alan Jardine also wrote the track. Overall it's nuts the the original recording is not available via iTunes or any of the digital music services, nor any Beach Boys, Brian Wilson or Mike Love compilation. But The Beach Boys have proven themselves to not always be the most sensible bunch.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #178 on: July 08, 2019, 11:59:09 AM »

From what I've heard, Mike owns the masters to the "Celebration" stuff.

BRI/The Beach Boys have no control over that material. There may be some grey areas in terms of outtakes from that era, as there often has been with other similar types of material (e.g. Dennis solo outtakes vs. Dennis-Beach Boys outtakes).

But it would be up to Mike to get the "Celebration" stuff out there. Last year, the BB SiriusXM channel *did* play "Almost Summer", thought that apparently didn't portend any additional things happening with the material.

I get the sense, especially now that old material has been cannibalized for Mike's recent albums, Mike may well have no interest in putting "Celebration" nor "Looking Back with Love" back out on the market place.

All of this of course doesn't explain why Mike doesn't do "Almost Summer" in concert; indeed, it's pretty surprising considering the general type of material he likes as well as the type of material he tends to resurrect from the back catalog or outtake bin (e.g. "It's OK", "California Beach", "Goin' to the Beach", etc.).
« Last Edit: July 08, 2019, 12:00:33 PM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CAFeelin89
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 14, 2019, 10:10:36 PM »

Anyone know if 12 Sides of Summer will be released on vinyl?
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 15, 2019, 02:35:26 AM »

Someone call a tow truck to try to pull Mike Love out of the 60's. This 2nd single is further proof that he should stick with singing Brian's songs and forget about trying to show the world that he's a competent songwriter as this entry is another embarrassing exercise in mediocrity.

Are you never tired???  I am, after reading your refrains! You talk about Mike, but you always sing the same songs too... sad...
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 15, 2019, 05:32:06 AM »

Anyone know if 12 Sides of Summer will be released on vinyl?

The ad for the album on the back of the latest issue of ESQ says “CD/DIGITAL/VINYL,” but I haven’t seen any pre-order links anywhere for a vinyl version.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 15, 2019, 09:27:23 AM »

Someone call a tow truck to try to pull Mike Love out of the 60's. This 2nd single is further proof that he should stick with singing Brian's songs and forget about trying to show the world that he's a competent songwriter as this entry is another embarrassing exercise in mediocrity.

Are you never tired???  I am, after reading your refrains! You talk about Mike, but you always sing the same songs too... sad...
Being a Mike Love apologist is a strenuous career choice. Either cut back your hours or get more sleep.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 15, 2019, 09:42:02 AM »

Being a Mike Love apologist is a strenuous career choice. Either cut back your hours or get more sleep.

Who is a Mike Love apologist? I'm a Beach Boys apologist; And I don't consider being a Beach Boys fan is a career but a passion; I don't  always speak badly of the same guy, behind a computer screen. (but this IS YOUR CREER CHOICE it seems...) Man, you really have a problem...
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 09:48:01 AM by mustomax » Logged
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 15, 2019, 10:43:16 AM »

Who is a Mike Love apologist? I'm a Beach Boys apologist; And I don't consider being a Beach Boys fan is a career but a passion; I don't  always speak badly of the same guy, behind a computer screen. (but this IS YOUR CREER CHOICE it seems...) Man, you really have a problem...

CREER choice?? Huh? Who has a problem?? And, just to clarify, I usually sit in front of my computer screen as it tends to be a bit easier. But really Musto, stop worrying about me as much as you seem to do. I'll be alright, but I appreciate your genuine deep concern.  Hello

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 15, 2019, 03:58:21 PM »

Mike’s voice is dust these days...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 15, 2019, 11:01:07 PM »

From what I've heard, Mike owns the masters to the "Celebration" stuff.

BRI/The Beach Boys have no control over that material. There may be some grey areas in terms of outtakes from that era, as there often has been with other similar types of material (e.g. Dennis solo outtakes vs. Dennis-Beach Boys outtakes).

But it would be up to Mike to get the "Celebration" stuff out there. Last year, the BB SiriusXM channel *did* play "Almost Summer", thought that apparently didn't portend any additional things happening with the material.

I get the sense, especially now that old material has been cannibalized for Mike's recent albums, Mike may well have no interest in putting "Celebration" nor "Looking Back with Love" back out on the market place.

All of this of course doesn't explain why Mike doesn't do "Almost Summer" in concert; indeed, it's pretty surprising considering the general type of material he likes as well as the type of material he tends to resurrect from the back catalog or outtake bin (e.g. "It's OK", "California Beach", "Goin' to the Beach", etc.).
I don't think anyone remembers "Almost Summer". It's never been included on the compilations. Do you recall what label it was on?  I recall seeing one album of Celebration on Michael Nesmith's Pacific Arts label.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 16, 2019, 01:11:25 AM »

MCA Records

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Almost_Summer_(album)
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 16, 2019, 12:19:31 PM »

The irony is that the cover photo for Almost Summer was taken in front of the Beverly Hills Hotel.  Within a year before or after, I can't remember exactly, the Eagles had their album Hotel California with a cover photo of the Beverly Hills Hotel.  Both cover photos were quite good.
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 16, 2019, 12:42:16 PM »

Is there anything particularly morally objectionable about gentlemen in late middle age having sex in swimming polls? Asking for a friend.

Just a long as you do it before forking out any hard earned dollars for a movie....just in case you get shot down!
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 18, 2019, 03:12:33 PM »

Anyone overseas enjoying 12SOS yet? Grin

grapejuicesnake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 18, 2019, 05:59:56 PM »

Anyone overseas enjoying 12SOS yet? Grin

I switched the settings on Spotify so that I use the Australian version.  12 Sides of Summer wasn't cringey  or unplesent to me, but it felt unnecessary because all the songs are ones we've heard before, done better.  The version of Surfin here wasn't as bad as the Summer In Paradise version, but it can't hold a candle to the original.  The re-dos of the songs from looking Back With Love aren't better than the ones from 40 years ago.  His version of "Here Comes the Sun" sounds more like "Everyone's In love With You" than George Harrison original.  "Keepin the summer Alive" was never one of my favorites, but this version makes me appreciate the original a little.  The worst was "It's O.K", but that was released last year.

I don't know why this pic is in the emojis, but I'm using it
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 18, 2019, 07:10:44 PM »

I switched the settings on Spotify so that I use the Australian version. 

Smart move. I’m just going to wait till midnight my time to be disappointed LOL

grapejuicesnake
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 18, 2019, 07:25:54 PM »

As Brian Wilson said in my favorite song:  "Midnight's Another Day".  They don't make songs like that anymore.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 19, 2019, 02:15:23 AM »

Just listened to the album. Overall, I actually really like it. Mike's age definitely shows in his vocals, but that's expected for anyone nearing 80. Overall, it's a great effort. I'm glad Surfin Safari wasn't an exact note for note remake, the new groove is pretty cool. Here Comes The Sun actually sounds really nice on here, better than it did in it's live debut. I really enjoy Summertime Blues and Rockaway Beach. KTSA is pretty good, but I would've preferred Cowsill to take the lead, but Mike's is pretty good. It's not high art, but this album is definitely a lot of fun.
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2019, 07:38:59 AM »

I don't plan on picking this one up, save for downloading a few tracks.  For what it's worth I do like his cover of "Rockaway Beach".  Mike provides a pretty good vocal and gives that song the "Beach Boys" treatment while still being faithful to the Ramones' recording.  If he wants to keep making music (even mediocre music), more power to him. 

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2019, 07:46:21 AM »

Still surprised BRI allows such blurred lines between "Mike Love" product and "Beach Boys" product.

They're selling "Beach Boys" merchandise at shows now that is entirely designed based on Mike's solo album title and cover art:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2019, 08:39:31 AM »

Apparently, BRI doesn't care and Mike has no shame.

Can you imagine: Memory Almost Full, The Beatles.

Every wave is new until it breaks.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 26, 2019, 08:54:39 AM »

They're selling "Beach Boys" merchandise at shows now that is entirely designed based on Mike's solo album title and cover art:

It's the name of the tour, right?

https://www.thebeachboys.com/tour/

Every wave is new until it breaks.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #199 on: July 26, 2019, 09:38:50 AM »

It's the name of the tour, right?

https://www.thebeachboys.com/tour/

It appears so. It's just a clear case of Mike using the BB touring license to directly promote his solo album not only by performing songs from the album and selling the album at shows (which isn't a problem usually), but naming the *Beach Boys* tour after the solo album and literally using materials from his solo album with a "Beach Boys" logo dropped on top of it.

It certainly blurs the line and goes beyond what I would view as the purview of a touring-only license.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx