gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:53:00 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike working on yet another new album  (Read 51604 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2019, 07:08:59 AM »

It's interesting that Mike hasn't sought out a Terry Melcher-type collaborator to continue to write new material that much. Yes, there are a few actual originals (or newly polished-off songs) on the recent albums. But beyond the glut of cover versions and BB re-recordings, most of the "originals" on the albums have been songs written decades ago.

One would have thought that Mike's continual stated desire to "write songs from scratch" alone in a room with Brian would have sprung at least in part by a desire to write new music in general. Yet, we don't see him seeking out alternate avenues to write a ton of material with other writers (at least in terms of what's released). It tends to reinforce the feeling some fans have that Mike's "alone in a room" thing with Brian had more to do with taking issue with *others* writing with Brian and getting writing credits/royalties.

It's interesting to break down the tracks across these recent three Mike albums. There are a total of 49 tracks across these three albums. Of the 49 tracks:

- 33 are cover versions of songs previously released (including BB songs, standards, etc.)
     - Within this category approximately 24 are covers of songs Mike has already released as part of the BBs or solo
- 8 are re-recordings of unreleased songs known to have been written and recorded years ago
- 3 are previously released tracks more or less unchanged (Cool Head, Pisces Brothers, Alone on Christmas Day)
- 5 are as-yet-unheard-of originals

This is not an exact science; there is some overlap in these categories. I'm not counting the "It's OK" remake as previously released, even though it was aired a year ago. I'm assuming on those five seemingly "new" compositions; for instance, "All the Love in Paris" is a co-write with his old collaborator Paul Fauerso, so it could actually be older as well. Also, one of those "originals" isn't a Mike co-write.

Which original is not a Mike co-write?

My *partial* bad. I was thinking of "Must Be Christmas", which is on Mike's XMas album and is not co-written by Mike. But I guess that one is technically a "cover" of a track recorded a few years prior by the "Band of Merrymakers" seasonal group fronted by the song's writers.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Steven
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2019, 06:06:08 PM »

This is about as awful as it gets. The voice, that wasn't very good to begin with, is shot to hell from 649 concerts a year(talk about overexposure!). No one, absolutely nobody cares what Mike Love is trying to do these days, and are probably surprised he's even still around. He's a friggin' parody of himself in yet this geezer still thinks he's has major importance in the world of entertainment. Sad. Just sad that's all.

I'm sure there are several people who care about Mike Love's current activities, possibly thousands. I don't recall Love proclaiming his "importance in the world of entertainment"; he's simply doing what he's been doing since 1962. You don't have to love Mike's Endless Summer but you certainly hate it with relentless passion.

Mike rubs me the wrong way at times...always has. But I rejoice that he is still standing. Check out his show if they come to your town...you may enjoy it in spite of yourself. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:07:38 PM by Steven » Logged

Formerly known as "Moon Dawg"
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2019, 11:11:27 PM »

This is about as awful as it gets. The voice, that wasn't very good to begin with, is shot to hell from 649 concerts a year(talk about overexposure!). No one, absolutely nobody cares what Mike Love is trying to do these days, and are probably surprised he's even still around. He's a friggin' parody of himself in yet this geezer still thinks he's has major importance in the world of entertainment. Sad. Just sad that's all.

I'm sure there are several people who care about Mike Love's current activities, possibly thousands. I don't recall Love proclaiming his "importance in the world of entertainment"; he's simply doing what he's been doing since 1962. You don't have to love Mike's Endless Summer but you certainly hate it with relentless passion.

Mike rubs me the wrong way at times...always has. But I rejoice that he is still standing. Check out his show if they come to your town...you may enjoy it in spite of yourself. 
Cool Guy Cool
STE
Smiley Smile Associate

"I'm not on top like I used to be"

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: June 27, 2019, 01:23:17 PM »

“California Beach,” the second single off the album: https://youtu.be/ENJ3LkHMMzw

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: June 27, 2019, 01:45:16 PM »

Tell your Teach, we're gonna make it out to California Beach? OMG.....UGH!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: June 27, 2019, 01:46:53 PM »

Someone call a tow truck to try to pull Mike Love out of the 60's. This 2nd single is further proof that he should stick with singing Brian's songs and forget about trying to show the world that he's a competent songwriter as this entry is another embarrassing exercise in mediocrity.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: June 27, 2019, 03:43:24 PM »

Well that’s 22 seconds I won’t get back. (All I could manage)  Thud
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 03:44:08 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: June 27, 2019, 07:31:40 PM »

I actually sort of enjoy the new single. Sure, it's corny as hell, and the *interesting* drum mixing gives me flashbacks to SIP, but I have to admit, it did get stuck in my head. At first listen I was a little underwhelmed, but after a few listens I can say it definitely hits the spot in a way. It's not perfect, but I'd still take an ok Mike Love song over many other artists. Hearing all of Mike's new stuff really makes me curious what Brian, Bruce, and especially Al have in their back catalog, or 'vaults'
Love Thang
Smiley Smile Associate

Wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeen

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: June 27, 2019, 09:17:04 PM »

Mike Love is an anal bead. The end.
Empire Of Love
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #159 on: June 27, 2019, 09:22:25 PM »

I don’t want to find fault where there isn’t any but I’m not sure what to make of this:

I’ll tell my boss why don’t you tell your teach...?

Am I reading too much into this or is this about a working aged man and a girl in high school?

EoL

Zargo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: June 27, 2019, 11:39:57 PM »

I actually sort of enjoy the new single. Sure, it's corny as hell, and the *interesting* drum mixing gives me flashbacks to SIP, but I have to admit, it did get stuck in my head. At first listen I was a little underwhelmed, but after a few listens I can say it definitely hits the spot in a way. It's not perfect, but I'd still take an ok Mike Love song over many other artists. Hearing all of Mike's new stuff really makes me curious what Brian, Bruce, and especially Al have in their back catalog, or 'vaults'

I have a real soft spot for the original, so can't help but enjoy this version. It has the same catchy chorus, but I miss the guitars and faster tempo of the earlier version.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: June 27, 2019, 11:42:42 PM »

So I'll be the first to say it, I don't hate the unreleased "California Beach" as recorded in the late '70s by The Beach Boys. It's that kinda harmless fluff like "It's a Beautiful Day" that I'm sure the group could still knock out in their sleep if they wanted to. But this remake, egh, I don't know. I feel like a lot of the songs Mike are doing these days are being recorded at slower tempos because his voice isn't up to the challenge for the more "rocking", up-tempo things. But regardless, it definitely pulls back on the punch that the original "California Beach" had. I suppose I need more time to fully decide how I feel, but I think it's fair that we put this song in the "Mike Love trying recapture 1963" bucket with "Camp California", "Goin' To The Beach" and a handful of others.

I don’t want to find fault where there isn’t any but I’m not sure what to make of this:

Am I reading too much into this or is this about a working aged man and a girl in high school?

EoL

That lyric also caught my eye/ear but I guess I forgot about it kinda quickly. But yeah, kinda weird. But not so weird considering this a song originally recorded (and therefore likely composted) not long after "Lazy Lizzie" and "Hey Little Tomboy" from the same group.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: June 28, 2019, 10:04:29 AM »

Download/streaming services appear to be using the album artwork for this single (instead of the single artwork from Mike’s video). If anyone sees a version for sale on a download service using the single artwork, let me know. (I have a problem.)

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #163 on: June 28, 2019, 11:41:47 AM »

Download/streaming services appear to be using the album artwork for this single (instead of the single artwork from Mike’s video). If anyone sees a version for sale on a download service using the single artwork, let me know. (I have a problem.)

You can always just snag the artwork and then tag your music with it (this particular one I just randomly grabbed would require some cropping of course):

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #164 on: June 28, 2019, 09:21:13 PM »

EoL
Probably. I'm sure a lot of 20-21 year old guys have girlfriends still in high school.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: June 29, 2019, 05:46:03 AM »

EoL
Probably. I'm sure a lot of 20-21 year old guys have girlfriends still in high school.

I don't think it's a big deal. However, this is the same Mike who, in his mid-50s, released an official Beach Boys album where he wrote a line about fornicating in a swimming pool with some babe. And Brian is the guy who wrote 'Hey Little Tomboy' and 'Roller Skating Child' - let's face it: in the context of their ages, these guys have written and released some creepy stuff over the years.

As for this song, I think some are basing the context of this song off of the overall surf genre that we're used to Mike singing about (young adults enjoying courtship on the sunny beaches of the West Coast) and not the song itself. Mike could be singing about a 60 year old man working at McDonalds dating a 50 year old woman attending a community college...we'd never know because the lyrics leave a lot to be desired. So I think it's best to not read too much into this.

I will say that this is the problem with never moving on - constantly being stuck in the same formula: a near-80-year-old man singing from the perspective of young surfers finding love isn't something you hear everyday...it's why 'Beaches In Mind' (a song kickstarted by Brian, I believe) from TWGMTT doesn't seem genuine to me...yet the life suite feels completely real to me.

And whatever, if it gives Mike enjoyment and makes his life more positive, that's what he should do. Brian himself says he wants to record songs from the 60s, and more power to him. But in the post #metoo era, I don't think it should be surprising if people start questioning lyrics about dating potentially underage girls that are sung by elderly men.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: June 29, 2019, 01:06:33 PM »

Is there anything particularly morally objectionable about gentlemen in late middle age having sex in swimming polls? Asking for a friend.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #167 on: June 29, 2019, 02:26:20 PM »

Is there anything particularly morally objectionable about gentlemen in late middle age having sex in swimming polls? Asking for a friend.

Not that I'm aware of.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: June 29, 2019, 04:41:40 PM »

If it’s solo....yes!  Wink
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #169 on: June 29, 2019, 07:21:28 PM »

Not that I'm aware of.

Maybe only if said gentleman proudly boasts about it in a song only a couple years after standing behind the censorship-hungry PMRC, then it's just a bit...weird
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: June 30, 2019, 11:35:47 PM »

If it’s solo....yes!  Wink
Funny you mention that. I was at my doctor's office the other day, and she said "you need to stop masturbating". Well, of course this puzzled me, so I asked "Why?" and the doctor replied "because i'm trying to examine you!"  LOL LOL
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: July 01, 2019, 12:45:08 AM »

Oh very well done 👍.

I remembered this straight away.

https://youtu.be/jdOliYDY-LM
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #172 on: July 01, 2019, 07:55:24 AM »

Oh very well done 👍.

I remembered this straight away.

https://youtu.be/jdOliYDY-LM

LOL LOL LOL Classic  LOL LOL LOL

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #173 on: July 05, 2019, 11:00:49 AM »

Four producers: Courtesey of new ESQ

Michael Lloyd: It's OK
Sam Hollander: California Beach, Over and Over, On and On and On, Surfin', Surfin' Safari
Scott Totten: Here Comes The Sun, Rockaway Beach, Keepin' The Summer Alive, California Sun, Summertime Blues
Paul Fauerso: The Girl From Ipanema

I'm hoping that since Surfin' Safari and Surfin' are by Hollander and not Lloyd, they might be a bit more listenable than the UTL remakes...

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: July 05, 2019, 12:32:59 PM »

Four producers: Courtesey of new ESQ

Michael Lloyd: It's OK
Sam Hollander: California Beach, Over and Over, On and On and On, Surfin', Surfin' Safari
Scott Totten: Here Comes The Sun, Rockaway Beach, Keepin' The Summer Alive, California Sun, Summertime Blues
Paul Fauerso: The Girl From Ipanema

I'm hoping that since Surfin' Safari and Surfin' are by Hollander and not Lloyd, they might be a bit more listenable than the UTL remakes...

That’s awesome that Mike and Paul Fauerso are still collaborating, even if it’s not on an original.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx