gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680600 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 05:07:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike working on yet another new album  (Read 51632 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2019, 08:52:39 AM »

I think Mike's glut of albums is down to having an ongoing deal with a label, and both he and the label realize these albums are cheap and easy to knock out (and it seems many of the circulating copies are getting moved by being thrown in as freebies alongside concert tickets). No offense to the people putting in hard work to record them, but there is *very little* new writing across all three of these albums.

Mike's basically doing what he did with Adrian Baker in the late 90s, only with higher production values (but also more autotune).

Brian and Al and company could easily knock out albums like this. But do I want an album full of stuff that sounds like Brian's "California Sun?" Not really. That track is fine and solid, but unremarkable. I've always had little interest in hearing 50s and 60s oldies covered by Brian across an entire album. Maybe if Al sang all the songs, then it would hold *some* interest.

But I'd rather see a "Brian all by himself" album (Brian and a piano with just enough editing to make the songs full/complete, but otherwise untouched), or even another "No Pier Pressure" type album rather than oldie covers. If Brian *had* to do an album of covers, I'd rather see a thoughtful, somewhat esoteric selection. Stuff more like "Wanderlust" and less like "Good Golly Miss Molly."

I mean, if I had a say in it, I would want Brian to being recording original tunes as much as he could too. But Brian has stated about 1000 times now that he wants to make an album of rock and roll covers. It's about the only consistent statement he has made for the last decade (or two) during interviews. I believe he has gone as far as saying what songs he would like to see on the album. My post above was ideas that would make an album of covers by Brian unique...so it wasn't the same-old same-old like we're getting from Mike.

And regardless of the reason behind Mike's albums, fact is that he is still getting in the studio and recording them. They are nothing I listen to, nothing I will ever listen to outside of an initial listen and I usually forget about it soon after. But he is spending time in the studio, and from what I gather, it's far more time than Brian has spent in the studio recently. Whatever the reasons, I hope that Brian gets a spark of inspiration from it.

Brian has been in the studio recording the soundtrack for the upcoming documentary...so that will be a treat to hear when it comes out. Hopefully that too will spark some inspiration for him to get into the studio more.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2019, 08:58:34 AM »

Am I the only one who is excited about this release? The Rockaway Beach clip sounds crisp and clear and upbeat and fun. I remember thinking just in the last week or two that Mike should eventually release a studio version of Summertime blues, with the current band rather than the version with Adrian that has been in circulation. I'm also excited to see California Beach get  released after all these years! I always thought that would have been a great song for KTSA. Speaking of KTSA, I'm not sure if that's a remake of the same song (the wording of the title is slightly different), but I've been putting in requests with Scott for years for John Cowsill to sing that one live! So count me as one long time fan who is excited about this! Much more than UTL and RFTS.

I suppose that 38 second clip has less immediately evident autotune (though it still sounds present to me), and covering a Ramones song is certainly going to get one away from rather limp production and arrangement values. But, not to be hypercritical, I genuinely think it's okay to say that Mike Love's voice has rarely or never been suited to sing a Ramones song. I think Mike had a little bit of that type of grit in his voice back in the "All I Want To Do/Sweet and Bitter" era in 1968/69/70. But I haven't heard that type of singing from him since then.

And yes, it's quite possible "Keepin' Summer Alive" is different than "Keepin' THE Summer Alive"; I assumed at typo but it could be a new song. I can't say writing a NEW song but titling it nearly identically to the title track from a 1980 Beach Boys album sounds particularly original or interesting (I'd say the same for something called "Really Still Cruisin" or "Another Summer in Paradise", etc.)

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2019, 09:01:17 AM »

God i get the terrible feeling half these songs will end up in the Summer Beach Boys setlist....

A pretty safe assumption. The only question is how many "Unleash" tracks will get displaced because of it.

Will he finally put "Pisces Brothers" out of its misery?

I'd take hearing the album in full just to never have to hear "Pisces Brothers" live in concert again.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2019, 09:02:50 AM »

LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL So far, the best remark made about this thing. And if the 30 second snippet is any indication of what this thing is all about, I'll be shocked  Shocked if it even charts. Next.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2019, 09:04:03 AM »

I think Mike's glut of albums is down to having an ongoing deal with a label, and both he and the label realize these albums are cheap and easy to knock out (and it seems many of the circulating copies are getting moved by being thrown in as freebies alongside concert tickets). No offense to the people putting in hard work to record them, but there is *very little* new writing across all three of these albums.

Mike's basically doing what he did with Adrian Baker in the late 90s, only with higher production values (but also more autotune).

Brian and Al and company could easily knock out albums like this. But do I want an album full of stuff that sounds like Brian's "California Sun?" Not really. That track is fine and solid, but unremarkable. I've always had little interest in hearing 50s and 60s oldies covered by Brian across an entire album. Maybe if Al sang all the songs, then it would hold *some* interest.

But I'd rather see a "Brian all by himself" album (Brian and a piano with just enough editing to make the songs full/complete, but otherwise untouched), or even another "No Pier Pressure" type album rather than oldie covers. If Brian *had* to do an album of covers, I'd rather see a thoughtful, somewhat esoteric selection. Stuff more like "Wanderlust" and less like "Good Golly Miss Molly."

I mean, if I had a say in it, I would want Brian to being recording original tunes as much as he could too. But Brian has stated about 1000 times now that he wants to make an album of rock and roll covers. It's about the only consistent statement he has made for the last decade (or two) during interviews. I believe he has gone as far as saying what songs he would like to see on the album. My post above was ideas that would make an album of covers by Brian unique...so it wasn't the same-old same-old like we're getting from Mike.

And regardless of the reason behind Mike's albums, fact is that he is still getting in the studio and recording them. They are nothing I listen to, nothing I will ever listen to outside of an initial listen and I usually forget about it soon after. But he is spending time in the studio, and from what I gather, it's far more time than Brian has spent in the studio recently. Whatever the reasons, I hope that Brian gets a spark of inspiration from it.

Brian has been in the studio recording the soundtrack for the upcoming documentary...so that will be a treat to hear when it comes out. Hopefully that too will spark some inspiration for him to get into the studio more.

I definitely wish Brian (and really more so Al than any of them) would get more active in the studio. Covers, originals, rejiggered outtakes, whatever man.

It's certainly true, however workmanlike and conveyor-belt style he's doing it, Mike's recording and releasing stuff. Al has a literal pro recording studio at his literal door step, so I definitely wish he could get more out there.

I think both Brian and Al have more "in the can" (including stuff recorded in recent years) than we know. I don't know if I'd want three albums of covers from Brian and Al over the course of two years, but releasing something would be nice.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2019, 09:06:13 AM »

I guess we'll have to see the production credits, but I wonder if a few of the old BB covers on this new one were recorded back during the "Unleash" sessions.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2019, 09:11:59 AM »

In all fairness, that clip of Rockaway Beach comes without context, it could be a rough mix or a leftover from previous sessions, so who knows until further info comes out what that is.

However, judging *that clip* of Rockaway Beach...it sounds like it came from an episode of "Saved By The Bell" from the 90's when the kids decide to start a rock band and play at a school dance until Mr. Belding threatens to shut them down...then Mr. Belding's old neighbor Mike shows up to save the dance and sits in with the kids on an old number.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:13:06 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »

I'm truly ambivalent about the album cover; there is actually part of my brain that doesn't mind slick, simple cover designs. But the album cover does remind me of stuff like this:

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2019, 09:26:57 AM »

Bonus points if someone can determine whether elements of the album cover are taken from stock image beach photos.....

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:29:58 AM by HeyJude » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2019, 09:35:49 AM »

While it's a lost cause/non-issue at this point clearly with BRI, I do continue to be a bit dismayed with the blurring of promoting the "Beach Boys" tour vis-a-vis Mike's solo album. You get concert promotions like this:

From this website: https://www.pne.ca/event/the-beach-boys/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 09:39:45 AM by HeyJude » Logged

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2019, 10:18:51 AM »

Of course, what else is new? Was anything less than that expected from Mike? Mike has an album "12 Sides Of Summer", and we get a BEACH BOYS 12 SIDES OF SUMMER concert promotion complete with that Dean Torrence logo. Even though it's not the Beach Boys. BRI doesn't seem to give a sh*t, unless they just don't want to get mixed up in a legal shitstorm with Mike. If fans paying to see the Beach Boys won't mind Mike plugging his own solo efforts as The Beach Boys and playing his own stuff at concerts rather than actual Beach Boys songs, what else is there to say. It's ridiculous but so is a lot of what Mike pulls.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2019, 10:23:29 AM »

Of course, what else is new? Was anything less than that expected from Mike? Mike has an album "12 Sides Of Summer", and we get a BEACH BOYS 12 SIDES OF SUMMER concert promotion complete with that Dean Torrence logo. Even though it's not the Beach Boys. BRI doesn't seem to give a sh*t, unless they just don't want to get mixed up in a legal shitstorm with Mike. If fans paying to see the Beach Boys won't mind Mike plugging his own solo efforts as The Beach Boys and playing his own stuff at concerts rather than actual Beach Boys songs, what else is there to say. It's ridiculous but so is a lot of what Mike pulls.

And this is coming from a guy who sued his cousin in 2005 over what he termed "brand confusion" or something like that. Unbelievable hypocrisy.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2019, 10:36:34 AM »

And this is coming from a guy who sued his cousin in 2005 over what he termed "brand confusion" or something like that. Unbelievable hypocrisy.

Hypocrisy is the nicer way to describe it.

Adding more to the blurring of Mike Love solo versus The Beach Boys...There are promotions where people buying Beach Boys tickets online will get a free digital download of Mike's solo album "12 Sides of Summer". Mike "doin' it again" in terms of piggybacking his solo stuff onto the Beach Boys name.

And the tour in some places is indeed being promoted under the same name as Mike's solo album, like this one:

https://www.facebook.com/events/bold-point-park/the-beach-boys-12-sides-of-summer/621232551634436/

Again, I guess BRI either doesn't care or doesn't want to get into a scrum with Mike's lawyers. But it is hypocrisy considering Mike's previous legal actions, and a cheap way to use an iconic band name to self promote. IMO.

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2019, 11:11:35 AM »

I'm not a Mike hater, but I'm not going to pretend I listen to his solo stuff. If it's not going to be good anyway, then I'd prefer he at least make his covers his own. And a SIP-style Rockaway Beach certainly would at least be funnier than what I'm hearing in the 38-second sample, which just doesn't really need to exist, as is.

Certain songs on Summer in Paradise (Still Surfin', Lahaina Aloha, title track) are guilty pleasures of mine because a. they're catchy and b. because of the kitschy production. Those songs wouldn't really be interesting at all without the datedness of the electronic drums and 80s/90s guitar tone.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but that album cover certainly doesn't fit what I'm hearing from the 30-second sample of Rockaway Beach.

You know startBB, you actually kinda nailed it there. A lot of us have complained over the years about the '79 version of "Here Comes the Night", The Beach Boys '85 and Summer In Paradise, along with some giving Brian Wilson '88 some grief as well (though I personally love it).

It seems like so many of us wanted a return to a more "natural" recording, and with that we'd get more "classic" tunes. But really, and maybe it's just me, but I'd take the craziness of "Crack at Your Love" and it's recording over something like the more "natural" sounds of most of Gettin' In Over My Head just like I'd take the insanity of Summer In Paradise or that crazy '80s bombast of "Getcha Back" over Mike's new "Rockaway Beach" cover or "Make Love Not War" or whatever crap that is.

Now for material like That Lucky Old Sun, That's Why God Made The Radio, No Pier Pressure (excepting "Runaway Dancer"....yeesh) and yes, even Mike's "Cool Head, Warm Heart" and his solo version of "Daybreak Over the Ocean", these are (in my opinion) well written and well-recorded songs, at least instrumentally (as I know there are many about the vocal processing on both guys solo records) and therefore we are lucky that he weren't recorded in a super dated or tacky style.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 01:02:02 PM by Jim V. » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2019, 01:23:31 PM »

Hypocrisy is the nicer way to describe it.

Adding more to the blurring of Mike Love solo versus The Beach Boys...There are promotions where people buying Beach Boys tickets online will get a free digital download of Mike's solo album "12 Sides of Summer". Mike "doin' it again" in terms of piggybacking his solo stuff onto the Beach Boys name.

And the tour in some places is indeed being promoted under the same name as Mike's solo album, like this one:

https://www.facebook.com/events/bold-point-park/the-beach-boys-12-sides-of-summer/621232551634436/

Again, I guess BRI either doesn't care or doesn't want to get into a scrum with Mike's lawyers. But it is hypocrisy considering Mike's previous legal actions, and a cheap way to use an iconic band name to self promote. IMO.

Regarding the 2005 lawsuit and this new tour/album thing: I can not see how anyone back in 2005 would get a free CD of Brian Wilson recordings, thinking it would be the Beach Boys because of a tiny picture on the cover (as one of Mike's or Mike's lawyer's associates claimed), but I can totally see someone thinking the new album would be the Beach Boys after seeing the tour poster, even though Mike's name is printed in big letters on the cover.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #90 on: May 29, 2019, 01:42:36 PM »

This is 100% observational on my part, but I'm guessing BRI isn't/wasn't completely blind to how Mike is promoting the solo projects in conjunction with the BB name.

As folks here helped to document, after initially releasing "Unleash the Love" with a sticker that used the BB trademark logo and referred to Mike as "lyricist of the Beach Boys", when it hit vinyl the sticker was redesigned without the logo and changed the reference to "a lyricist of...":

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 01:43:11 PM by HeyJude » Logged

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 29, 2019, 02:16:06 PM »

As folks here helped to document, after initially releasing "Unleash the Love" with a sticker that used the BB trademark logo and referred to Mike as "lyricist of the Beach Boys", when it hit vinyl the sticker was redesigned without the logo and changed the reference to "a lyricist of...":

happy to see my photography live on Azn

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #92 on: May 29, 2019, 02:18:10 PM »

happy to see my photography live on Azn

Hey, you took one for the team, buying *multiple* copies of the album!

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 29, 2019, 02:21:01 PM »

I am glad someone is looking at that stuff. Whats funny to me is that some fans are still adamant that the "Legacy" of the Beach Boys just can't be altered in any way, shape, or form anymore. Yet that Mike was forced to change that sticker is evidence enough that people who are in an official position to make such calls obviously see the harm Mike can do by placing a Beach Boys logo on the less-than-stellar UTL.

And keep in mind that the 2005 lawsuit was also about Brian re-recording songs co-written by Mike and Mike not having any say in those songs being re-recorded. Yet Mike is clearly doing the same nonsense here too. There is hypocrisy from every angle when you look at the 2005 lawsuit.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 29, 2019, 02:54:36 PM »

This is 100% observational on my part, but I'm guessing BRI isn't/wasn't completely blind to how Mike is promoting the solo projects in conjunction with the BB name.

However, isn't it "revised" band logo actually in the Pet Sounds font?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #95 on: May 29, 2019, 03:26:57 PM »

It's sort of in the Pet Sounds font, but it's probably not an issue because it's a publicly-available font and not an original copyrighted/trademarked logo.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 29, 2019, 03:29:00 PM »

It's sort of in the Pet Sounds font, but it's probably not an issue because it's a publicly-available font and not an original copyrighted/trademarked logo.

Makes sense.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 29, 2019, 04:57:34 PM »

Coming soon to your local PBS telethon...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 29, 2019, 06:31:07 PM »

The only thing I have any interest in here is "Keeping The Summer Alive"...I'd always hoped they'd add that to the set with Cowsill on lead...maybe this will get the band thinking in that direction?
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #99 on: May 29, 2019, 10:53:57 PM »

The only thing I have any interest in here is "Keeping The Summer Alive"...I'd always hoped they'd add that to the set with Cowsill on lead...maybe this will get the band thinking in that direction?

I've been asking Scott for on and off for years to suggest it to Mike! I feel like it would fit the band's vibe very well. Hopefully they'll add it to the setlist!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7 8 9 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx