gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:01:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike working on yet another new album  (Read 51623 times)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: May 23, 2019, 12:00:14 AM »

I think it would be funny if the studio work of older acts like the Beach Boys and Paul McCartney mirrored their live work in recent decades. "Paul McCartney is releasing a new album this month that contains brand new versions of Hey Jude, Let it Be, Long and Winding Road, Can't Buy Me Love, Back in the USSR, Sgt. Peppers Lonely Hearts Club Band, plus 2 brand new songs that nobody cares to hear". lol. Maybe that's what Mike is doing now. Brian's done it too - I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Pet Sounds Live, Brian Wilson Presents Smile, Live at the Roxy.
It doesn't upset me because I know these guys are long past the point where a new song of theirs is going to be a hit. I know that when Mike or Macca play their new songs in concert, people will run to the concession stand or the restroom.
And that's why I just wasn't made for these times. I hate to see these guys become museum pieces. I want to turn back the clock to the time when they were vital creative artists. I mean, think about the Wings years. They played all of 5 Beatles songs....5 Beatles songs...in a 2 hour show. Can you imagine Paul going out now and devoting most of the show to songs from Egypt Station, Flaming Pie, and Chaos and Creation?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: May 24, 2019, 07:23:22 PM »

He could...but it wouldn't be to 20-50,000 seat venues with multi-night engagements...

Sir Paul could exclusively play Paul McCartney music and still sell out average size arenas and amphitheaters simply because he's Paul McCartney.

But it's not really a fair comparison...if Mike or Brian tried that, they'd be selling out the types of venues Al hits on the Story Tellers tours...
The Foot Fetish Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: May 25, 2019, 11:25:24 AM »

I'm all for Mike recording another album for no other reason than it's just there for anybody who wants it just like a Ringo Starr album...nothing more, nothing less.
And now that the world is online it'll be easier to find the album than having to wade through the cut-out bins that stores used to have.

Nothin' but a foot fetish thang! (Thank you, Brittany Michelle)
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2019, 10:06:49 PM »

I'm all for Mike recording another album for no other reason than it's just there for anybody who wants it just like a Ringo Starr album...nothing more, nothing less.
And now that the world is online it'll be easier to find the album than having to wade through the cut-out bins that stores used to have.
I loved the cut out bins! Got a lot of good music that way, especially in the years vinyl was being phased out. Found gems like America's first album, George Benson's Weekend in LA, Another Side of Bob Dylan, Gord's Gold Volume 2, Frank by Squeeze, several Marshall Crenshaw albums, Yo Frankie by Dion, More Greatest Hits of the Monkees.
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: May 28, 2019, 03:37:23 PM »

michaels covering the Ramones??!?!?!?   the song "rockaway beach" actually could work in beach boys style,--- but omg-- no way mike thought this up on his own--
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: May 28, 2019, 04:08:46 PM »

Oh the nasality of Rockaway Beach!
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: May 28, 2019, 05:42:41 PM »

I wonder if he'll remake Rockin' The Man In The Boat...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: May 28, 2019, 08:00:22 PM »

https://twitter.com/MikeLoveOFCL/status/1133512372952403970

Today @SIRIUSXM w/ @MarkyRamone preparing for the 1st single from my new LP “12 Sides of Summer” out 7/19/19, "Rockaway Beach" a remake of The Ramone's original song. I can't wait-scheduled for release Thurs, 5/30. I also ran into @ChrisShiflett71 Foo Fighters Photo #marohagopian

Mike's been prolific lately - wonder how his next record turns out to be.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2019, 12:28:58 AM »

Well, this is interesting.

https://www.billboard.com/articles/business/8513452/wme-signs-the-beach-boys-mike-love-bruce-johnston

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: May 29, 2019, 12:34:55 AM »

Found this 38 seconds clip of "Rockaway Beach" on Endless Harmony Forum:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3A-f1Ho-9F0
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2019, 05:54:59 AM »

The album is now on amazon.co.uk:

www.amazon.co.uk/12-Sides-Summer-Mike-Love/dp/B07S28TLT3

Tracklist:
1. California Beach
2. It's OK (feat. Hanson)
3. Surfin'
4. Calfornia Sun
5. Surfin' Safari
6. On and On and On
7. Here Comes The Sun
8. Girl From Ipanema
9. Over and Over
10. Keepin' Summer Alive
11. Summertime Blues
12. Rockaway Beach

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2019, 06:09:53 AM »

Mike’s covering GIRL FROM IPANEMA? Huh

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2019, 06:31:02 AM »

The album is now on amazon.co.uk:

www.amazon.co.uk/12-Sides-Summer-Mike-Love/dp/B07S28TLT3

Tracklist:
1. California Beach
2. It's OK (feat. Hanson)
3. Surfin'
4. Calfornia Sun
5. Surfin' Safari
6. On and On and On
7. Here Comes The Sun
8. Girl From Ipanema
9. Over and Over
10. Keepin' Summer Alive
11. Summertime Blues
12. Rockaway Beach

This album cover makes me wish Mike would just lean into the Getcha Back, Kokomo, Summer in Paradise style of production rather than the bland, generic sound he's currently going for. Getcha Back is basically a re-write of Hungry Heart, but at least it sounds different because it's so heavily electronic-based. And I love Getcha Back.

I'm not a Mike hater, but I'm not going to pretend I listen to his solo stuff. If it's not going to be good anyway, then I'd prefer he at least make his covers his own. And a SIP-style Rockaway Beach certainly would at least be funnier than what I'm hearing in the 38-second sample, which just doesn't really need to exist, as is.

Certain songs on Summer in Paradise (Still Surfin', Lahaina Aloha, title track) are guilty pleasures of mine because a. they're catchy and b. because of the kitschy production. Those songs wouldn't really be interesting at all without the datedness of the electronic drums and 80s/90s guitar tone.

Might be an unpopular opinion, but that album cover certainly doesn't fit what I'm hearing from the 30-second sample of Rockaway Beach.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2019, 07:03:34 AM »

Well, at least it'll be interesting to compare his "California sun" to Brian's (which is pretty good):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=auJ0h9jnsK0

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2019, 07:12:19 AM »

Surprised a new "Sunshine Remix" of Pisces Brothers didn't make it onto this thing...

...Of course now Mike will have "Here Comes The Sun" available to further enhance the threadbare George Harrison connection when he goes for the heavy/reverent/pious moments at his shows.

Mike should stay far away from Beatles covers based on previous efforts after the Party album, but I digress.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2019, 07:15:42 AM »

Oh, and just allow me a moment to rage for a bit, then I'll put the soapbox away...

How many more fucking covers and remakes of "Surfin" do we need to endure from Mike??? None of them has ever been good, none has ever come close to the magic of even a half-second of the 60's tracks...so yeah, let's get another remake of Surfin' out there.

For "fun", right?  Grin

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2019, 07:31:54 AM »

So this appears to be all covers as far as I can tell: Covers of other artists (California Sun, Here Comes the Sun, Girl from Ipanema, Rockaway Beach), Beach Boys covers (Surfin’, Surfin’ Safari, It's OK, Keepin' the Summer Alive), covers of *previous covers* (On and On and On, Over and Over, Summertime Blues), and I'm guessing a cover/re-recording of one old unreleased outtake ("California Beach").

As I recall, "California Beach" was a re-write of "Skatetown USA" (or vice versa).

Also interesting in that Mike's current live arrangement of "It's OK" has its intro borrowed from "Skatetown USA/California Beach."

I'm surprised Mike didn't dig into a few of those "originals" from the Adrian Baker late 90s/early 2000s albums, like "Camp California" and "Summertime Music."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
baseball95
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2019, 07:59:49 AM »

God i get the terrible feeling half these songs will end up in the Summer Beach Boys setlist....
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2019, 08:25:48 AM »

« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 08:28:00 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2019, 08:27:52 AM »

God i get the terrible feeling half these songs will end up in the Summer Beach Boys setlist....

A pretty safe assumption. The only question is how many "Unleash" tracks will get displaced because of it.

Will he finally put "Pisces Brothers" out of its misery?

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2019, 08:28:13 AM »

Thanks for linking that, Wata! I love how the description for that video is solely "Mike Love please do not sue me!" Quite the reputation Grin

The production on this sounds SO much better than the last couple albums he has put out. There is no jarring autotune, I think there may be some there, but it's not to the level it was on Unleash The Love. Mike pretty much sounds like Mike should, and it sounds like he's having fun. I think 'Girl From Ipanema' is a great choice, especially if Mike does a duet with Ahmba (pardon if spelling that wrong) for that tune. I completely agree with Guitarfool about 'Surfin' - I don't really see the appeal outside of hearing the original song (granted, I feel this way about most covers).

My biggest hope for this album? That it would inspire Brian to get into the studio. If Brian is done with the studio, then more power to him. But for all the talking he does about a "rock and roll album" there is sure a complete lack of progress on it. In the time Brian has talked about Pleasure Island Mike will have released 3 studio albums (probably more than that, depending on how far back Brian started talking about this thing).

I really think Brian could do something so unique with a rock-and-roll album. Make it into a concept album revolving around classic radio stations from the 60s. Get a DJ to do interludes every 3 songs, interview Brian on it with a few Brianisms thrown in. Get Paul McCartney to guest doing a duet of 'Girl Don't Tell Me' with Brian. End it with Brian doing a minute long solo piano cover of 'That's Why God Made The Radio'. Get it produced properly and it would be a small hit, methinks.

Anyways, don't mean to hijack the thread and make it about Brian. I think a friendly competition between both Mike and Brian would be a neat thing to see...and perhaps this will be the album to spark that....I can dream....

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2019, 08:30:00 AM »

Man, this song makes me imagine an "Onion" headline:

Sole Fan Who Always Wanted to Hear Mike Love cover The Ramones Finally Gets Wish

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2019, 08:36:02 AM »

Thanks for linking that, Wata! I love how the description for that video is solely "Mike Love please do not sue me!" Quite the reputation Grin

The production on this sounds SO much better than the last couple albums he has put out. There is no jarring autotune, I think there may be some there, but it's not to the level it was on Unleash The Love. Mike pretty much sounds like Mike should, and it sounds like he's having fun. I think 'Girl From Ipanema' is a great choice, especially if Mike does a duet with Ahmba (pardon if spelling that wrong) for that tune. I completely agree with Guitarfool about 'Surfin' - I don't really see the appeal outside of hearing the original song (granted, I feel this way about most covers).

My biggest hope for this album? That it would inspire Brian to get into the studio. If Brian is done with the studio, then more power to him. But for all the talking he does about a "rock and roll album" there is sure a complete lack of progress on it. In the time Brian has talked about Pleasure Island Mike will have released 3 studio albums (probably more than that, depending on how far back Brian started talking about this thing).

I really think Brian could do something so unique with a rock-and-roll album. Make it into a concept album revolving around classic radio stations from the 60s. Get a DJ to do interludes every 3 songs, interview Brian on it with a few Brianisms thrown in. Get Paul McCartney to guest doing a duet of 'Girl Don't Tell Me' with Brian. End it with Brian doing a minute long solo piano cover of 'That's Why God Made The Radio'. Get it produced properly and it would be a small hit, methinks.

Anyways, don't mean to hijack the thread and make it about Brian. I think a friendly competition between both Mike and Brian would be a neat thing to see...and perhaps this will be the album to spark that....I can dream....

I think Mike's glut of albums is down to having an ongoing deal with a label, and both he and the label realize these albums are cheap and easy to knock out (and it seems many of the circulating copies are getting moved by being thrown in as freebies alongside concert tickets). No offense to the people putting in hard work to record them, but there is *very little* new writing across all three of these albums.

Mike's basically doing what he did with Adrian Baker in the late 90s, only with higher production values (but also more autotune).

Brian and Al and company could easily knock out albums like this. But do I want an album full of stuff that sounds like Brian's "California Sun?" Not really. That track is fine and solid, but unremarkable. I've always had little interest in hearing 50s and 60s oldies covered by Brian across an entire album. Maybe if Al sang all the songs, then it would hold *some* interest.

But I'd rather see a "Brian all by himself" album (Brian and a piano with just enough editing to make the songs full/complete, but otherwise untouched), or even another "No Pier Pressure" type album rather than oldie covers. If Brian *had* to do an album of covers, I'd rather see a thoughtful, somewhat esoteric selection. Stuff more like "Wanderlust" and less like "Good Golly Miss Molly."
« Last Edit: May 29, 2019, 08:37:08 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2019, 08:41:04 AM »

Am I the only one who is excited about this release? The Rockaway Beach clip sounds crisp and clear and upbeat and fun. I remember thinking just in the last week or two that Mike should eventually release a studio version of Summertime blues, with the current band rather than the version with Adrian that has been in circulation. I'm also excited to see California Beach get  released after all these years! I always thought that would have been a great song for KTSA. Speaking of KTSA, I'm not sure if that's a remake of the same song (the wording of the title is slightly different), but I've been putting in requests with Scott for years for John Cowsill to sing that one live! So count me as one long time fan who is excited about this! Much more than UTL and RFTS.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2019, 08:49:49 AM »

Man, this song makes me imagine an "Onion" headline:

Sole Fan Who Always Wanted to Hear Mike Love cover The Ramones Finally Gets Wish

While I find this hilariously true LOL I'm also glad that Mike is doing his own thing here. He could've done a cover of 'Kokomo' (which we'd all be expecting), but this is kinda different, which is refreshing.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx