gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:36:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike working on yet another new album  (Read 51617 times)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« on: March 19, 2019, 05:50:19 PM »

I was just reading an interview with Mike about Stamos joining, Hal Blaine's death, and other topics... I was surprised to see that Mike is working on a new album. Here's an excerpt from the article:
He also is working with Sam Hollander, who has written and/or produced 20 or more Top 40 hits including "High Hopes" by Panic! at the Disco. His songs have more than 4 billion streams, something that wasn't considered when the Beach Boys were having "Fun, Fun, Fun" years ago.

Love and Hollander are working on a "couple of my songs" for a forthcoming Love album, which will have a summer release date.

"Just starting it," he said.

Weather you like UTL and Reason For The Season or not, you have to admit that Mike seems to be very productive these days. One album in 2017 and another in 2018, recorded during Mike's crazy touring schedule. Very impressive for a guy who just turned 78.

Sam Hollander's work with Mike is very refreshing to my ears. He co-wrote the new original songs on Reason For The Season, "Celestial Celebration"(which has great BBs feeling production, featuring Pet Sounds-esque tic-tac bass) and "Must Be Christmas". These tracks I'd say are some of the better ones on the album. They aren't soaked in autotune like the Michael Lloyd produced tracks on UTL and "Little Saint Nick" on Reason. Sure, there's vocal pitch correction, but it's no more offensive than NPP or TWGMTR (for better or worse I guess LOL)

The prospect of Mike and Sam Hollander working on a full project together excites me. The tracks on which he participated on Reason For The Season, sound very clean and modern, but still have that classic Beach Boys sound.

Hopefully we get some new originals with contribution from Mike. We should be thankful for every new piece of music we get, from any of the guys. Mike also mentioned a summer release, so I'd be thrilled to get something that soon. I'd also like for Bruce and Mike's current band to be involved, and just based on the personnel on Mike's last two records, I think we can assume they will be on the album. It's unlikely that there will ever be a live album representing what I call the "Scott Totten" era of Mike's band, in which their sound improved drastically. People on this board like to give Mike's band sh*t, but I think no one can deny that his band has seriously improved since 1999. UTL Disc Two kinda suffices as a representation of the, then, current group, but the questionable autotune and compression choices suck the life out of what would have been great performances. For example, I think "California Girls", "Fun Fun Fun" and "Kiss Me Baby" are all examples of tracks on UTL that feature great performances, but horrible production/mixing.

Thoughts?
https://www.reporternews.com/story/news/local/2019/03/14/beach-boys-ba-ba-ba-ba-back-abilene/3155706002/
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 07:06:24 PM »

Oh for christ sake!  Roll Eyes Doesn't this guy ever get the message that no one gives a sh*t about his horrible recording output? I would suppose that he somehow enjoys being ignored by people who buy or subscribe to new music and they definitely are not looking in his direction for his "latest release". There has to be someone who's encouraging this clown to waste his time trying to be relevant but I love that each new disaster infested, way less than mediocre release is met with public complacency.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
quichenight
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 07:34:27 PM »

he is
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 08:03:33 PM »

quichenight, that made me laugh out LOL LOL LOL

OSD, if no one cared about Mike's music, like you say, Reason For The Season wouldn't have been #4 on Billboard Holiday charts and #6 on independent album charts. We can all agree there isn't a huge market for Mike's solo material, but you gotta give credit where it's due man. 77 years old (when Reason For The Season came out) and nearing the top two billboard charts isn't too shabby,.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 08:45:27 PM »

he is

That was awesome lol

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 10:37:43 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. Another reason to skip the M&B show this summer as you know he will plug the album with a  flop...song or two.
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 04:55:59 AM »

Some anti Mike Love are so horrible here... so sad...
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 06:55:32 AM »

Some anti Mike Love are so horrible here... so sad...

Yes, agreed it is a bit much. Don't get the level of anger directed toward him. 

Mike is a bit of a douche and I leave it at that.   

Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 07:14:27 AM »

Granted I wont buy it or give it much of a listen most likely, but I have to give Mike credit for continuing to put out new music.
Senator Blutarsky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 07:15:27 AM »

On a side note we need a delete button , dont see a way to discard posts.

Wanted to go back and combine my last 2 posts but dont see a way to do it on this board. Or am I just not seeing something?
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:21:30 AM by Senator Blutarsky » Logged
thatjacob
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 08:53:21 AM »

I'm actually somewhat hopeful for this. It'll probably be trash, but the production on those two tracks on Reason For the Season was tolerable and "Celestial Celebration" was by far my favorite track on it. Maybe we'll get one or two decent tracks out of it.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2019, 01:01:03 PM »

thatjacob,

That's exactly what I'm saying! Mike Love and Sam Hollander's collaborations might be the freshest sounding solo music Mike has ever made. Hollander is certainly a qualified producer with a plethora of hits, so I can only assume that he'll push Mike to make something special, like the two tracks on the Christmas record.

I used to float between what us Smiley Smilers would call a "Brianista" and "Love Apologist"... The older I get, I realize these men were just normal people too. Everyone does shitty things in their life. Mike's happened to be documented. None of The BBs are perfect people, I don't understand why some people on here talk about Mike like he's the devil.... I mean, he's the lead singer and one of the principal lyricists of our favorite band, yet half of the people on here seem to be literally angered by idea of him releasing no music. Mike has done bad things. Brian has done bad things. Dennis has done bad things. Let's just enjoy the music!

And people talk about UTL like Imagination never happened... LOL Both Brian and Mike have been victims of weak production.

Personally, I can't wait for the new record. Who's to say Mike doesn't have another "All I Wanna Do" or "Warmth Of The Sun" in him? If Brian can still arrange beautiful harmonies, I'm sure Mike could still pen some great songs.

It seems like some people on here would rather have no new Mike Love music again, than have albums released and there being a chance of a really solid song or two.
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 01:55:48 PM »

Thanks for the heads up. Another reason to skip the M&B show this summer as you know he will plug the album with a  flop...song or two.

LOL LOL Yeah, and Nate, it would be a good idea to dispose of the Brianista talk. By now you should be well aware of the fact that there are those who either love Brian to death or hate Mike till the cows come home. It's all opinion anyway so either read the post and chill and move on to the rest of the thread, ok? And by ther way, I respect your opinion even if I don't agree with you but we all need our space. As far as Imagination vs UTL, there can be no comparison about the quality of the material and Brian's fantastic return to singing well again. Face it, Mike will always be in Brian's shadow.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
southbay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 02:07:53 PM »

Just because I am completely uninterested in any new Love recording does not mean it can be simply written off as me being "anti-Mike Love".  I'm not.  His product just isn't...interesting.

Summer's gone...it's finally sinking in
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 03:54:16 PM »

I mean, there is a difference between not caring about Mike's projects, and acting like every project he does is a personal attack on you...

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 03:54:25 PM »

I respect that Mike has been willing to put out new music over the last few years.

I hope he won't include any remake on the new album, though I'm 90% sure he will. I think remakes of old BB hits were huge drawbacks on Unleash the Love/Reason for the Season.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 04:00:08 PM »

DO IT DO IT LETS DO IT WOOOOOO
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 04:01:35 PM »

Just because I am completely uninterested in any new Love recording does not mean it can be simply written off as me being "anti-Mike Love".  I'm not.  His product just isn't...interesting.

Exactly. I had a bunch of songs playing yesterday, including two of Mikes songs from the TWGMTR album. Seven years later they are still the weakest. Probably one of the best on the album was ‘Summers Gone’ sung by Brian, yet it would be just as great sung by Mike IMO.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 04:02:43 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 04:22:47 PM »

Just because I am completely uninterested in any new Love recording does not mean it can be simply written off as me being "anti-Mike Love".  I'm not.  His product just isn't...interesting.

Exactly. I had a bunch of songs playing yesterday, including two of Mikes songs from the TWGMTR album. Seven years later they are still the weakest. Probably one of the best on the album was ‘Summers Gone’ sung by Brian, yet it would be just as great sung by Mike IMO.

Mike pretty much always sounds best when singing in a hushed tone, the way he sings his few lines on From There To Back Again, Meant For You, and dare I say, Kokomo. Especially at his age, when he tries to sing in his "upbeat" nasal old school way, it is not advisable, especially when it's slathered in Autotune. Ew. I kinda expect lots of the ew voice on his new stuff though, because I think he thinks the "young Mike voice" is what he "needs" to still attempt to sound like.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2019, 06:15:54 PM »

They're never getting back together are they

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 06:30:03 PM »

#
thatjacob,

That's exactly what I'm saying! Mike Love and Sam Hollander's collaborations might be the freshest sounding solo music Mike has ever made. Hollander is certainly a qualified producer with a plethora of hits, so I can only assume that he'll push Mike to make something special, like the two tracks on the Christmas record.

I used to float between what us Smiley Smilers would call a "Brianista" and "Love Apologist"... The older I get, I realize these men were just normal people too. Everyone does shitty things in their life. Mike's happened to be documented. None of The BBs are perfect people, I don't understand why some people on here talk about Mike like he's the devil.... I mean, he's the lead singer and one of the principal lyricists of our favorite band, yet half of the people on here seem to be literally angered by idea of him releasing no music. Mike has done bad things. Brian has done bad things. Dennis has done bad things. Let's just enjoy the music!

And people talk about UTL like Imagination never happened... LOL Both Brian and Mike have been victims of weak production.

Personally, I can't wait for the new record. Who's to say Mike doesn't have another "All I Wanna Do" or "Warmth Of The Sun" in him? If Brian can still arrange beautiful harmonies, I'm sure Mike could still pen some great songs.

It seems like some people on here would rather have no new Mike Love music again, than have albums released and there being a chance of a really solid song or two.

A couple points aimed a few posts made in this thread:

1. I think fans of Mike Love's recent output try way too hard to sell his music. Which may explain why people attempt to swing the pendulum farther away in the opposite direction. After reading above how "Celestial Celebration" is one of the better tracks from the Christmas album, I checked it out last night. I wasn't even going to comment on what I thought, but after reading the above post, I do want to interject some reality in case someone gets swayed to buy this based on the glowing reviews. If CC is one of the better tracks on the Christmas album then I can't even imagine how the rest of the album sounds. CC is appallingly littered with autotune. It's somehow as bad, if not worse, than the C50 Live album - in fact, much of Mike's recent output sounds like Mike stole every last piece of Joe Thomas' autotune contraptions, put every dial on "max", and proceeded to record. And the fact that it's a slight handful of people who adamantly push this music, it's kinda odd to the rest of us.

I'm beyond grateful that Mike is recording now, it's giving him something to do other than ramble about Brian's prescription meds - he was starting to sound like Prince talking about chemtrails for a while there. So I'm all for him hitting the studio, but I think a lot of us don't get the adulation for his work. And the comparison between UTL and Imagination? There is a gulf of difference between the two, in songwriting and production - as in, Brian almost sounds like he's in his 20s on 'Sherry She Needs Me', among other moments of really solid recording - where that kind of magic is sorely missing on any of Mike's recent solo outputs.

2. People angered by Mike Love: Lets say a family member sues you for millions of dollars, Nate, and in that lawsuit basically rips to shreds any work you did for 3-4 decades...claiming all you did was lay around in bed collecting checks and doing drugs. That is exactly what Mike did to Brian just over a decade ago. The list goes on, quite frankly given how many times it has been discussed here, I’m surprised that a handful of posters forget why exactly Mike Love isn’t looked on too highly amongst some fans. And again, I think the adulation Mike receives on these forums by some fans irks those who hold these rather logical opinions about the man.

Much like you Nate, I have shifted my views a bit in recent years. Mike has definitely become more chill these last few years. Having lived a decade since my first major dive into the Beach Boys world, I too have realized that people mess up in life. It makes me more sympathetic and forgiving because of this. I mess up, Mike messes up. The odd thing is though: those of us who mess up usually ADMIT we mess up. When has Mike ever apologized for the way he talks about Brian in the media? When has he ever publicly apologized to Brian for suing Brian’s wife, friends, and business partners over a silly picture on a FREEBY CD? When has he ever publicly acknowledged his 2005 lawsuit flat out lied about Brian? This is exactly the reason why there is a lot of anger directed toward the man.

I can still look past all this and appreciate all the good things that Mike has contributed to the world and to the music of the Beach Boys. But I also wish that when some fans express annoyance/anger at Mike that others wouldn't be surprised that those emotions are grounded in reality.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 06:45:39 PM »

I mean, there is a difference between not caring about Mike's projects, and acting like every project he does is a personal attack on you...

Thud Thud Thud Shrug Shrug Shrug   Huh Huh Huh

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 07:27:20 PM »

2. People angered by Mike Love: Lets say a family member sues you for millions of dollars, Nate, and in that lawsuit basically rips to shreds any work you did for 3-4 decades...claiming all you did was lay around in bed collecting checks and doing drugs. That is exactly what Mike did to Brian just over a decade ago. The list goes on, quite frankly given how many times it has been discussed here, I’m surprised that a handful of posters forget why exactly Mike Love isn’t looked on too highly amongst some fans. And again, I think the adulation Mike receives on these forums by some fans irks those who hold these rather logical opinions about the man.

Much like you Nate, I have shifted my views a bit in recent years. Mike has definitely become more chill these last few years. Having lived a decade since my first major dive into the Beach Boys world, I too have realized that people mess up in life. It makes me more sympathetic and forgiving because of this. I mess up, Mike messes up. The odd thing is though: those of us who mess up usually ADMIT we mess up. When has Mike ever apologized for the way he talks about Brian in the media? When has he ever publicly apologized to Brian for suing Brian’s wife, friends, and business partners over a silly picture on a FREEBY CD? When has he ever publicly acknowledged his 2005 lawsuit flat out lied about Brian? This is exactly the reason why there is a lot of anger directed toward the man.

I can still look past all this and appreciate all the good things that Mike has contributed to the world and to the music of the Beach Boys. But I also wish that when some fans express annoyance/anger at Mike that others wouldn't be surprised that those emotions are grounded in reality.
I suppose people's argument against Mike is totally legitimate, but I don't think it should be brought up when talking about his music.

Taking Paul McCartney for example, in Japan in 1980, he was arrested for possession of marijuana and was put in jails for ten days until he was deported. In the same year, he released a song on the album McCartney II which has an obvious racial slur as the title ("Frozen Jap").  As far as I know (correct me if I'm wrong), he never publicly apologized for these offenses he committed.

Then, is it okay to criticize him as a "racist" or "criminal" when Beatles'/Paul's music is brought up as the topic subject? I don't think so - as much as what he had done was wrong, I think we should avoid ad hominem when discussing music, because it's simply distracting, and isn't likely to contribute to the reasonable appreciation for the music itself.

I'm not saying that we can't criticize Mike for what he's done - I do think it is completely legitimate to criticize him for what he's done, unless it goes too far to the point it's just a slander. That being said, I'd say let's keep these discussion out when discussing the music.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2019, 07:30:03 PM by Wata » Logged
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2019, 11:55:33 PM »

Ok, I agree that the way Mike went about the lawsuit was ridiculous and uncalled for. The idea that Brian just layed in bed blah blah blah, was probably encouraged by Mike's lawyers, yet it was ultimately his decision to go with that story. He was definitely behaving inappropriately as a family member of Brian's. He was totally out of line. There have been other times he's been completely out of line too! But am I going to hate Mike for this? Nah... He can be narcissistic and condescending as we all know, but I honestly think the man means well. I think the way he sees things- he is the frontman of The BBs and it's his job to spread their music. Of course, he thinks he's better off doing it with his band, and without principal BBs, but if you just try to put yourself in Mike's shoes his touring operation makes more sense... And oh boy, I met get eaten alive for what I'm about to say.......

The Beach Boys, as a studio group, was Brian's until the 20/20 era where things became pretty democratic until SIP, where Mike seemed to have total creative control, but the control fell back in Brian's hands with the 2012 record.

The Beach Boys, as a touring group, was Brian's in the beginning (as he was obviously the driving force behind everything the band did). Once Brian quit touring, the responsibility fell onto Carl. And as the 70's turned into the 80's, I'd say the touring group was equally Carl's as it was Mike's. Especially considering Carl left in the early 80's. So when you include Brian quitting touring, Carl leaving in the 80's, Denny playing on and off due to substance abuse, and Al/Bruce/David/Blondie/Ricky all coming and going, Mike is really the only one who has consistently been in the group for the last 50+ years. (Yes, I know he missed shows here and there, but I'm talking big picture). Even though Mike goes on and on about Kokomo, how he wrote it, how it was #1 blah blah blah.... I think Mike must know that, as a studio group, in their hey day, Brian was in charge. Mike often talks about Brian's brilliant vocal arrangements with great gratitude... But with Mike being the only real consistent touring member, it makes sense that he sees the touring operation as his. Not to mention it literally became his after Carl's death. Of course I wish Mike had all of the guys in his group, but like I said, these guys are human. We know that Mike and Al haven't necessarily seen eye to eye since the 90's, and who the hell knows what Brian and Mike's relationship is really like. There are quotes and anecdotes from both Brian and Mike that, some indicate that they love each other very much, and some indicate they can't stand each other. Knowing that, it makes a little more sense why Mike, a normal human being like all of us, wouldn't want people he has animosity with in his group.  ....Or he could just be an attention wh*re like many on here call him...

I understand why many of you don't care for Mike as a person. I'm not blind to his faults.

I feel like this thread is going into a spiral of arguments and negativity, so I'm gonna try to take this in the direction I was initially hoping for by asking this.... What what YOU like from a new Mike Love album? No autotune?(an opinion I think we all share!) tell me your thoughts. Let's talk music. That's why we're here.
mustomax
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 21, 2019, 02:09:54 AM »

When Carl was ill, the last year, Brian saw him only once. Isn't it more horrible than a story of lawsuit, which is very useful in the US? Do you hate Brian for this???
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx