gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:25:08 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike working on yet another new album  (Read 51621 times)
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 21, 2019, 06:05:53 AM »

Nate, I totally respect your opinion, so I personally am not going to devolve this thread into an argument. And I completely concur that Mike is human and humans make mistakes. Just like Mike is imperfect so are the members of this forum. So when we should be forgiving, sometimes we hold onto anger because of how much others have negatively affected us and those we care about. Many here really care about Brian, some of us see him as an imperfect but brilliant person, and some here see Mike as a great lyricist but also a bully (up until just a couple years ago was still making nasty comments about Brian/family in the media).

Just like you ask others to put themselves in Mike’s shoes, put yourself in the shoes of OSD who grew up with this band from the start and, from his perspective, watched the band crumble to pieces in part because of Mike. Put yourself in the shoes of Melinda who has to read about Mike saying she’s like Landy part 2 who controls Brian with drugs. Put yourself in the shoes of Brian’s hopeful business partners who one day received a letter they were being sued over a pointless freeby CD (and the worry and anxiety that must’ve caused those people for weeks/months/years). The shoe thing goes both ways (whether for Brian or Mike, Melinda or Jacquelyne, right down to all of us fans).

I would like to respond to Wata here: OSD, Pretty Funky’s posts were solely an opinion about Mike’s music. Whereas Mustomax, Senator, and Nate initially brought up the Brianistas and Mike being supposedly hated on because he’s Mike. This was solely an on topic music thread until those defending Mike brought up non-music topics (Brianistas, Mike being a douche, etc).

Nate, I completely respect why you feel the way you do. And I appreciate that you’re willing to explain in detail your thoughts. I’m sure others will respond to your thoughts on Mike’s touring and when Brian effectively no longer had control, I will steer clear of all that.
_____

As for Mike’s music. Frankly, I would hope the guys would get together to make a “That’s Why God Made The Radio” boxset. I think TWGMTR is the most perfect last album for this band, so I kinda don’t want them to get back together in the studio to make a totally different final album. But I would love for them to polish up the songs that weren’t released, to finish up the life suite and release it on its own disc. For one disc to be made up of post-TWGMTR recordings - for Mike to contribute a couple of his own songs for Brian to sing on. And for Brian to have Mike sing on some new Brian songs. For another disc to be demos, piano recordings, a cappella versions, backing tracks, etc.. and finally make a small EP of new recordings as a short and sweet new mini-album.

That is what I hope would happen with Mike’s music. As I know that’s probably impossible, I do hope that Mike just does what he feels happiest doing. If he wants to sell more records, I would recommend that he lay off the auto tune, and perhaps don’t rely on musical acts like Hanson or Mark McGrath.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 21, 2019, 06:10:39 AM »

Some anti Mike Love are so horrible here... so sad...

Yes, agreed it is a bit much. Don't get the level of anger directed toward him. 

Mike is a bit of a douche and I leave it at that.   

You nailed it. I think a lot of this stuff is ridiculous.

But he is a major douche and proves it over and over.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 21, 2019, 08:02:36 AM »

Well stated...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: March 21, 2019, 08:16:21 AM »

Not wanting another shitstorm, I'll just say this to add my 2 cents to what's been said already. Regarding the "reunion" and TWGMTR reunion album and all the 50th anniversary reunion activities:

Mike chose to walk away from it when three of his bandmates who were playing in the Wilson's music room in Hawthorne expressed a desire to continue in various capacities ranging from recording new original music to additional live performances as the C50 unit. In various interviews and in his own book, Mike expressed something less than enthusiasm and positivity regarding the C50 tour and the creating of the TWGMTR album, not to mention the performance of said TWGMTR album and the performance of said C50 tour, which Mike in his book claimed was losing money (among other claims).

So when Mike did get back together with Brian and his bandmates, it didn't come out positive according to Mike, and he wasn't happy because among other things it didn't go the way he wanted it to go...from the writing process, to the album itself, to the live shows, and even the setlist and execution of those shows.

Mike wasn't happy about the C50 experience, in fact he seemed pretty bitter about it.

Yet the majority of fans thought C50 overall and the year 2012 up to September was easily one of the latter-year highlights of this band's almost 60-year history. Easily the ultimate band highlight of the years since Carl's passing.

And Mike wasn't happy about it.

That pretty much sums it up.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2019, 08:16:48 AM »

When Carl was ill, the last year, Brian saw him only once. Isn't it more horrible than a story of lawsuit, which is very useful in the US? Do you hate Brian for this???

a. We don't truly know how many times Brian saw Carl in that time. There may be some public stories that we're aware of, but doesn't mean we were there to actually know.

b. I'll certainly concede it's indeed possible that Brian only saw Carl once during that time. But Brian is a chronic avoider, and has shown a history of being afraid of confronting really tough emotional stuff. He also didn't go to his dad's funeral. Give the guy a break. That might make it a tragic occurrence, but it doesn't mean he's a douche for it.

If Brian indeed didn't come see Carl more than once, I *highly* doubt it was out of spite.

On the other hand...

Mike's lawsuit was unquestionably a vindictive, petty, spiteful, and very much "on purpose" type of maneuver. Filing it was an action that had to wholly and completely be initiated and approved by Mike himself. And all of the awful stuff that the lawsuit put forward about Brian had to have been approved by Mike himself.

Whether or not Mike The Wordsmith wrote those words himself, he let his lawyers go ahead and slander Brian, where stuff was utterly falsified and made up about Brian being lazy, and about him not doing any work on music (during years which Brian actually wrote entire albums).

Plus, remember, in this lawsuit, there was a fake person that the lawyer(s) on purpose had pose as a "wronged" eBay purchaser of the freebie CD, in order to create the illusion of consumers being upset. No way that Mike was unaware that his lawyers were going to pull that type of thing. It's so utterly embarrassing to Mike, and he probably doesn't want a TMZ article about the details of it in the wake of celebs doing falsifications like Lori Loughlin and Felicity Huffman; I'm sure the utter embarrassment and failure is why his book completely ignores this failed lawsuit with all sorts of slanderous and literally lying shenanigans ever even happened. That's how desperate Mike's ego was to not lose his lawsuit; allowing his lawyers make up fake people.

Yet if Mike had won the lawsuit, I'm sure Mike's book would have had a chapter dedicated to bragging about it. The whole thing is really despicable. I enjoy and value many of Mike's contributions to The BBs, but this was a truly awful action that is unconscionable behavior. No way to defend it whatsoever.

Completely different, apples and oranges type of situation trying to tie in Brian not visiting Carl enough to satisfy what you think would have been appropriate; your argument of comparing these actions of Brian to Mike holds no water, sorry.

Side note: I was listening to Sumahama yesterday, and it hit me that Mike sings a line he wrote about "never having met her father", which is pretty rich for him to casually sing, considering he had a daughter who he was completely ignoring the existence of at the time. So yeah, there really is no way to compare how Brian and Mike conduct themselves as people. Neither is perfect, Brian is not perfect either, but Mike regularly acts in ways that are ethically baffling to even people who truly want to give him break after break.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 08:36:59 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2019, 09:09:40 AM »

Not wanting another shitstorm, I'll just say this to add my 2 cents to what's been said already. Regarding the "reunion" and TWGMTR reunion album and all the 50th anniversary reunion activities:

Mike chose to walk away from it when three of his bandmates who were playing in the Wilson's music room in Hawthorne expressed a desire to continue in various capacities ranging from recording new original music to additional live performances as the C50 unit. In various interviews and in his own book, Mike expressed something less than enthusiasm and positivity regarding the C50 tour and the creating of the TWGMTR album, not to mention the performance of said TWGMTR album and the performance of said C50 tour, which Mike in his book claimed was losing money (among other claims).

So when Mike did get back together with Brian and his bandmates, it didn't come out positive according to Mike, and he wasn't happy because among other things it didn't go the way he wanted it to go...from the writing process, to the album itself, to the live shows, and even the setlist and execution of those shows.

Mike wasn't happy about the C50 experience, in fact he seemed pretty bitter about it.

Yet the majority of fans thought C50 overall and the year 2012 up to September was easily one of the latter-year highlights of this band's almost 60-year history. Easily the ultimate band highlight of the years since Carl's passing.

And Mike wasn't happy about it.

That pretty much sums it up.

This is true as well. And it's really the only reason I have somewhat negative feelings toward Mike. But for me, it's not even that he broke up the band, but that he makes up excuse after excuse for why he isn't (something in his book about not being able to re-write the score after it's been written or something like that - what a bunch of sh*t), instead of being honest.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2019, 09:41:19 AM »

The fake person in Mike's lawsuit is news to me. That's awful. I understand that Mike was on total bullsh*t with the way he went about the suit. He let his lawyers do irresponsible things.

The Beach Boys' music is that of positivity. I don't think any of the BBs would want us to take sides, or talk sh*t about certain members. They all are courteous to each other, wishing eachother happy birthday on FB (probably via managers, although I think Mike and Al write their own posts it seems like), and the town hall this summer was a fine example that there doesn't seem to be animosity between the actual Beach Boys at this point in time. I recall hearing something like Brian saying "Mike, I love your Rock N Roll!!"  I know we like to dig deep and try to disect things like three guys wearing Mike's shirts and the others not... But it's all pretty irrelevant when, they were all there     (and I kinda remember reading that Mike brought some for Brian and Al but they didnt wanna wear em or something.... It's such a little detail to lose sleep over... not criticizing those who do, I'm obsessed with The BBs too)

The point I'm trying to make is if the music is all about positivity and love, maybe we should try to embrace that too.

I'm not saying we should live in a fantasy world where we pretend everything they do is absolutely perfect, but we maybe need to keep a "Cool Head and a Warm Heart"

Yes I know that was cheesy as F*ck but I couldn't help myself   LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2019, 10:18:58 AM »

Some anti Mike Love are so horrible here... so sad...

Yes, agreed it is a bit much. Don't get the level of anger directed toward him. 

Mike is a bit of a douche and I leave it at that.   

Oh, he's definitely a full fledged dirtb.. I mean douchbag. And I've gotta say it's more than interesting to read posters misdirected defense of this jerk. Look up the word ungrateful in the dictionary or online and you'll get the gist of what this clown is all about and then some.

You nailed it. I think a lot of this stuff is ridiculous.

But he is a major douche and proves it over and over.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2019, 10:19:21 AM »

The fake person in Mike's lawsuit is news to me. That's awful. I understand that Mike was on total bullsh*t with the way he went about the suit. He let his lawyers do irresponsible things.

The Beach Boys' music is that of positivity. I don't think any of the BBs would want us to take sides, or talk sh*t about certain members. They all are courteous to each other, wishing eachother happy birthday on FB (probably via managers, although I think Mike and Al write their own posts it seems like), and the town hall this summer was a fine example that there doesn't seem to be animosity between the actual Beach Boys at this point in time. I recall hearing something like Brian saying "Mike, I love your Rock N Roll!!"  I know we like to dig deep and try to disect things like three guys wearing Mike's shirts and the others not... But it's all pretty irrelevant when, they were all there     (and I kinda remember reading that Mike brought some for Brian and Al but they didnt wanna wear em or something.... It's such a little detail to lose sleep over... not criticizing those who do, I'm obsessed with The BBs too)

The point I'm trying to make is if the music is all about positivity and love, maybe we should try to embrace that too.

I'm not saying we should live in a fantasy world where we pretend everything they do is absolutely perfect, but we maybe need to keep a "Cool Head and a Warm Heart"

Yes I know that was cheesy as F*ck but I couldn't help myself   LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL LOL

And this is all true, too. I think the Wilson brothers (in particular) learned, from having such a dysfunctional and abusive dad, to essentially take abuse, take unconscionably bad behavior from a narcissist, and let it keep sliding and forgive the person who did it, even if the perpetrator doesn't apologize. They (especially Brian) kept doing it to their own detriment. So I think it becomes a matter of fans from the outside not wishing estrangement between these people (at least I don't wish that), but wishing that there'd be actual peace and reconciliation, and above all admitting of sh*t behavior in a public manner, as opposed to seeing (from our point of view) terrible behavior simply pushed under the rug and "happy birthdays" said in social media, etc.

But like you said, it's complex and complicated, and we'll never know the real story of how their relationships work. But there's obviously tremendous dysfunction. I for one feel able to appreciate the music of all members while also at the same time not feeling any less disgust for particular actions by them that I feel were awful. I won't just pretend that some action isn't unconscionably awful just because I love the band. Mike Love can be a talented fellow and also someone who I feel has done some pretty damn unforgivable stuff (yes, even if his IMHO unbelievably way-too-forgiving cousin has apparently forgiven him).

That said...

If Mike would release a new album of material in the vein of Cool Head, Warm Heart, stuff that's nicely produced without Autotune, I'd be totally down with it.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 10:26:28 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2019, 02:24:59 PM »

At the same time, OSD and Pretty Funky offered their opinions solely about Mike's music. Were they harsh opinions? Perhaps they were. But they could have been ignored. Again, it was the people defending Mike who spiraled this thread towards Mike's personal life...OSD and Pretty Funky (and others who negatively commented on his music) were basing their opinions on Mike's music itself.

If we're trying to bring positivity to the forum, perhaps we should sometimes ignore the opinions we find offensive. And instead of questioning the motives of those harsh opinions in every thread, just accept that Mike has pissed off a lot of people (and the people pissed off have a pretty good case for being pissed off). And when it comes to Mike's music, people probably really dislike the music because they really do find it unlistenable and not because people just dislike Mike personally.
____

Not to go too off-topic, but the C50 Live album is a complete disaster for those who wanted a real sounding "document" of the reunion tour. If you listen to the Chiba concert, it sounds friggin incredible and I don't think I've heard one trace of auto-tune on it. Joe Thomas decided to take some really good concert tapes, and completely destroy any heart and soul they had. And this is how I feel when Mike uses this "effect" constantly. He probably has a solid base of song somewhere in his recordings, but you'd never know it because your ear can't wrap itself around how his voice electronically gyrates like he were singing through Peter Frampton's guitar-vocoder being amplified by an original Gameboy speaker.

Imagine if Johnny Cash used autotune for his American series. They would have never ever become the classics they have become. They would have been laughed at and forgotten. And how quickly did we, some of the most ardent fans of the Beach Boys, completely lose interest in Mike's recent recordings? There are like 2 people on any of the forums who get excited about his music anymore.

Again, I'm beyond glad that Mike has been recording, but if he wants to sell some records (and have people consistently listen to his music), he needs to go the Johnny Cash route - perhaps the same is true for Brian too. People like the real. They don't like the fake. And auto-tuning your voice when you're in your 70s is about as fake as it gets.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2019, 03:11:38 PM »

I think if you're able to get past the auto tune, UTL has a lot to offer. Crescent Moon, Daybreak, Too Cruel, and Cool Head are all fantastic songs that fit really nicely into my Beach Boys playlist. I was shocked when UTL came out, and quite frankly disgusted by the amount of autotune, considering that Mike and co. are qualified singers. I can't imagine, given his comments about autotune, that Mike is the one pushing for it's use. Who the hell even knows is he's aware of the fact that his vocals are being autotuned.  Mike probably isn't the most technical guy in the studio, and if Michael Lloyd or an engineer perhaps told him they were using "pitch correction" or something, it would've gone over Mike's head. Maybe I'm thinking way too hard about this. Maybe Mike gave crappy vocal performances, that were attempted to be saved by autotune. I can only hope, just based on listening, Mike knows that his voice is being heavily processed. Nonetheless,. any concert of Mike's you attend will sound much better than UTL. The autotune did more damage than it did good. Getcha Back or Fun Fun Fun sound a million times better, even on lossy youtube concert videos.

I see the autotune as a gross filter put on top of the music, but it doesn't mean the music is bad. An artifact of the recording, not a representation of the song---Kinda like the talking on Here Today (which I've grown to love) or the clipping on moments of Pet Sounds  or even the loose/false start version of Im Looking Through You, if you're a Beatles fan. Poor mixing choices doesn't equal bad songwriting. And quite frankly, I find myself humming Crescent Moon more often than The Right Time. I'm Not saying Mike is a superior solo artist, BW clearly is. I do think, however, that Mike's songwriting and arrangments on UTL, shouldn't be overlooked just because of the autotuned vocals. For example, Daybreak Over The Ocean has a great string arrangement. Getcha Back has a cool xylophone playing the falsetto melody at the end. There are nice touches on UTL, that are totally overlooked. WIBN features a confident lead from Foskett, less soaked in autotune than most of the other vocals on the album.

If you can't get past the obnouxious autotune, I understand. It sounds weird !! But if you can, like I did, you might find yourself enjoying some of Mike's recent output. Then again, like I always say, I'm a die hard BBs fan who can appreciate even the most hated albums... SIP, Royal Philharmonic, Goin Public all have moments of greatness. Something I learned with The Beach Boys is sometimes you gotta dig a little to find some precious gems.  
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 03:15:16 PM by NateRuvin » Logged
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2019, 05:09:58 PM »

I actually dig quite a few songs from the Philharmonic album - I wish some wouldn't completely brush it off because Sloop John B and In My Room are incredible, even if most of the rest of those songs aren't the best.

Unfortunately I don't think I can get past the autotune - it is just laid on so thick. Hopefully Mike eases off of it for any future recordings.

Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2019, 06:22:56 PM »

Excessive use of autotune and pointless remakes are the two major factors, and I do hope Mike will get rid of both this time. (I'm not holding my breath though. Seriously, I think he should take fans' advice on making albums.)

Even knowing the fact that many of the "new songs" had been written long ago, the songwriting/selection for UTL Disc1/Reason for the Season are decent (especially when compared to genuine disaster like SiP). I really hope he'd try to make the most of the material he has.
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 24, 2019, 11:48:05 PM »

Oh for christ sake!  Roll Eyes Doesn't this guy ever get the message that no one gives a sh*t about his horrible recording output? I would suppose that he somehow enjoys being ignored by people who buy or subscribe to new music and they definitely are not looking in his direction for his "latest release". There has to be someone who's encouraging this clown to waste his time trying to be relevant but I love that each new disaster infested, way less than mediocre release is met with public complacency.
If he makes you crazy everytime Mike love releases a album i hope he releases a dozen more  LOL
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2019, 11:27:47 AM »

Some updates on Mike's upcoming album (hopefully I'm not the only one who cares  LOL)

Looks like it'll be called 12 Sides of Summer, and feature probably feature It's OK w/ Hanson, from last summer, as well as another re-record, On and On And On. My guess is that it'll be just a collection of some upbeat summer songs. I'm certain there will be BBs re-records. I really liked Mike's songwriting work with Sam Hollander on RFTS, so I'm really hoping we can some new Mike originals on this one! Even more so, I'm hoping we get the Big Sur 4/4 that was teased in 2016! That version sounded great!!

I was reading a thread about this upcoming album on the Endless Harmony board, and people were discussing the inevitability that there will probably be BBs re-records on here. It was mentioned that it wouldn't be so much a problem, if he perhaps tried out some of the deeper cuts he co-wrote like All I Wanna Do, Aren't You Glad, Let The Wind Blow... I mean, if he's gonna re-record either way, maybe give those ones a shot. With the right production, they might sound pretty cool.  Although, some, if not most people, probably don't want any re-records at all. Which I understand to some degree; the idea of the artist just repeating themselves. But considering the fact that someday it'll be impossible for there to be a new BBs related album, I'll be thrilled, and at the least thankful, for whatever new music any of the guys come out with.

guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: May 21, 2019, 09:35:14 AM »

Some updates on Mike's upcoming album (hopefully I'm not the only one who cares  LOL)

Looks like it'll be called 12 Sides of Summer, and feature probably feature It's OK w/ Hanson, from last summer, as well as another re-record, On and On And On. My guess is that it'll be just a collection of some upbeat summer songs. I'm certain there will be BBs re-records. I really liked Mike's songwriting work with Sam Hollander on RFTS, so I'm really hoping we can some new Mike originals on this one! Even more so, I'm hoping we get the Big Sur 4/4 that was teased in 2016! That version sounded great!!

I was reading a thread about this upcoming album on the Endless Harmony board, and people were discussing the inevitability that there will probably be BBs re-records on here. It was mentioned that it wouldn't be so much a problem, if he perhaps tried out some of the deeper cuts he co-wrote like All I Wanna Do, Aren't You Glad, Let The Wind Blow... I mean, if he's gonna re-record either way, maybe give those ones a shot. With the right production, they might sound pretty cool.  Although, some, if not most people, probably don't want any re-records at all. Which I understand to some degree; the idea of the artist just repeating themselves. But considering the fact that someday it'll be impossible for there to be a new BBs related album, I'll be thrilled, and at the least thankful, for whatever new music any of the guys come out with.

Mike doing re-records to the extent he does with his own former Beach Boys classics is like going to McDonalds and buying a Big Mac, then going to Burger King to buy a Whopper, and putting only the pickles from the Whopper onto the Big Mac, then throwing the Whopper minus the transferred pickles out the car window. As in...why bother, and what purpose does it serve to do it?

Does someone think Mike remaking old Beach Boys songs is what audiences beyond his diehard followers (however many that number is) would want to hear? One or two is fine, but this whole blurring of the name-licensed "Beach Boys" cutting soundalikes versus someone buying the original BB's albums is absurd.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 21, 2019, 01:13:14 PM »

Thanks for the update. Sounds great even if they are solo or BB re-recordings.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2019, 07:04:20 PM »

I still don't get why people are so annoyed by studio remakes of the old songs. When the guys play live - Mike, Brian, Al, etc - people have no complaints that all or most of the songs are old.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2019, 07:20:41 PM »

I still don't get why people are so annoyed by studio remakes of the old songs. When the guys play live - Mike, Brian, Al, etc - people have no complaints that all or most of the songs are old.

Speaking only for myself, but I don't see the need for studio remakes, regardless of who does it, unless it's bringing something new to the song. And by new, I don't mean terrible production! Not the same as live IMHO, where there's a certain vibe from actually being there

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2019, 12:34:18 AM »

guitarfool2002,

I think Mike does the re-records simply because he enjoys doing so. Here's Mike on recording Do It Again in 2017 - ""The whole song's about getting together with old friends and sharing good times and talking about the old times... That fact that here we are decades later, recreating it with old friends, having a great time -- it doesn't get much more organic and perfect and fantastic than that."

He clearly just has fun doing it. Seems like Brian enjoys playing rock n' roll music right now, that's why I'm totally happy to hear him saying he's making a rock n' roll album. Originals or covers? I don't really care.

I'm just happy and thankful for any new material we get from these guys while we still can.
Robbie Mac
Smiley Smile Associate

Carl Wilson is not amused.

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: May 22, 2019, 01:08:50 AM »

How much does anyone want to bet that he will try and shop his BB remakes to film, TV and commercial producers like Jeff Lynne has done?

The world could come together as one
If everybody under the sun
Adds some 🎼 to your day
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: May 22, 2019, 06:57:15 AM »

How much does anyone want to bet that he will try and shop his BB remakes to film, TV and commercial producers like Jeff Lynne has done?

I mentioned that back when "Unleash" came out a couple years ago. But I haven't really seen any evidence that he has succeeded in getting his stuff sold to those type of projects, if he is in fact attempting to do so.

Jeff Lynne has a couple things going for his remakes that Mike Love doesn't. First, Lynne owns the ELO name and his re-recordings can still be billed as "Electric Light Orchestra." Whereas, of course, Mike's re-records can't use the BB name. Secondly, Lynne's remakes sounds *pretty friggin' close* to the original recordings. I defy anybody to find another artist that could re-record their tracks 30-40 years later and have them sound *that* close to the originals. Yes, they aren't indistinguishable to studious fans, but they're closer than anything I've ever heard. Which is more miraculous considering Lynne does nearly all of the instruments and singing himself.

Lynne's re-recording of "Livin' Thing" just appeared in the newest "Toy Story 4" trailer (the previous trailer of course used the original "God Only Knows").

Meanwhile, Love's re-recordings sound *nothing* like the original tracks.

Also worth noting is that part of what Lynne was trying to do was circumvent Sony making all the money licensing the original masters out. But subsequently, Lynne re-signed with Sony again (via Columbia). So, while he would still make more money licensing his own masters out, he probably has less motivation to circumvent Sony now that he has an ongoing working relationship with them again.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: May 22, 2019, 07:49:20 AM »

The difference is that Jeff Lynne was more or less the "Brian Wilson" of ELO and was the mastermind behind those recordings and sounds. So Jeff could - and did - go back into the studio and recorded all the parts himself, where he could, minus instruments he simply didn't play. Just like certain BB's tracks from the 60's had vocals which were a wall of Brians or 90%-plus of those vocals were Brian overdubbing himself. It's not a knock on him or a critique but Mike Love is not that kind of musician and he was not the guy in the band who could do that, or who did it originally.

So when people are fans of Jeff Lynne's or Brian Wilson's or Todd Rundgren's *production*, they want to hear that production from these guys who made the records originally. Hell, I'll add John Fogerty into that mix...would fans of CCR or of Fogerty's production and musicianship be as warm to the idea of one of the other CCR members (not named Fogerty) who tours as a version of CCR with backing musicians cutting an album of CCR remakes, or would they be more receptive to Fogerty himself cutting an album of CCR remakes?

The answer shouldn't be hard to divine in that case. Or the others. It's the difference between the guy who actually envisioned and created the original records in the studio remaking his records versus another band member who played a lesser role doing it.

PS - "Soundalikes" are done and have been done in the film/TV/media industry for decades for mostly, if not strictly, financial reasons. Productions whose budgets aren't as big can license a soundalike for much, much less than the original mechanical recording and related rights/fees. If Mike is putting however many of these soundalikes into the market, maybe he's trying to turn a buck or two by trying to make these copies available rather than the originals.

Because ultimately as Billy said so well, the live experience of hearing these songs is far, far, far different than buying a studio soundalike featuring Mike caked with Autotune and his backing band trying to recreate some of the finest pop records ever made. I still fail to see the purpose of this beyond trying to somehow sneak in a few bucks in some way with these remakes.

But that's just my opinion.

NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: May 22, 2019, 10:44:00 AM »

Do It Again, Surfin USA, California Girls, Its OK, etc... are all really fun songs. I'm sure Mike has fond memories of recording them, enjoys playing them live, and seems to have a fun time re-recording them (see my above post for a quote)

I don't know why everyone gets all upset about Mike doing these re-records... Sure, nothing will compare to the original, but I see them as pretty harmless. It's not like we've heard the UTL versions of Help Me Rhonda or Fun Fun Fun in the media, as opposed to the original recordings. Sure, ticket buyers of The Beach Boys concerts can buy the CDs, and often get them included with the purchase of their tickets, but we might be over analyzing the effect of an album like UTL, for example.

When I was at a BBs show in August 2018, there was a huge ad for UTL on the screen, showing the album cover and track listing (as well as the RPO album too). I heard lots of people taking notice, but not getting confused weather it was Mike or a BBs album. People were saying "Do you think he's going to play his new stuff?" or even laughing about the album cover. They weren't going "Oh my gosh! A new Beach Boys album!!" People aren't dumb. I really don't think Mike is trying to con people into buying his album, and make them think it's a BBs product. I don't think he's trying to blur the lines, as some suggest. Even having the famous Dean Torrence BBs logo on the album cover originally, was probably just to make people aware of who Mike is, at a glance. Not too much different from BW using the iconic Pet Sounds fonts and styling for his shows. (Yes, I know the logo is trademarked, and there was some legality issues I assume, and that's why it was removed)  If people buy UTL and get a kick out of it (like I did), then why should anyone be upset? I think anyone who's going out of their way to spend over $15 on a CD or seek out Mike's digital catalog, is a fan and knows what they're in for. Keep in mind Brian is compensated for the songs he co-wrote being sold or streamed.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 10:45:49 AM by NateRuvin » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: May 22, 2019, 12:19:18 PM »

I wonder if at least some of the people who seem to happily celebrate Mike re-re-re-recording Beach Boys hits wasn’t a fan during much if any of the era when the Beach Boys actually wrote, recorded, and released *new* songs on a regular basis. *Constantly* re-recording the same old hits is not art. I’m not interested in doing the “art vs. commerce” debate in excruciating detail, there are not hard definitions. But creating and writing was (and for some members still is) a major feature of the Beach Boys. So when some fans are bored to tears (if not offended by lack of quality) by re-re-recordings, maybe it’s because they recognize that the Beach Boys used to not need to regularly resort to such things. And other artists, even contemporaries of the Beach Boys, manage to side-step re-recording *dozens* of their old tracks.

To boot, many of Mike’s re-records (most in fact) are not only the same songs that have appeared on a THOUSAND compilations, they are songs Mike sings HUNDREDS of times per year. Mike has also previously re-recorded some of these same songs going back to the 90s with Adrian Baker.

And, the answer to why Mike re-recorded songs for “Unleash the Love” was answered by Mike himself in an interview. *The record label asked for it!*

Which makes total sense; the *recognizable* song titles are things that the label (and I would guess Mike) would recognize would draw more potential sales and interest.

I don’t know why there is a need to try to do pretzel twists of reasoning trying to assert that Mike had no other motivation than simply keepin’ the summer alive! and having a rockin’ good time recording songs he likes. He sings these songs all year, every year! He’s largely also not doing altered arrangements of the songs to give them a new twist.

This ain’t rocket science.

Now, with the exception of some questionable labeling and marketing concerning featuring the “Beach Boys” name on packaging, I view Mike’s recordings as innocuous. In concept anyway. The insult to injury is that, by any measure, they are *poor* recordings in my opinion. They add nothing new, and are slathered in autotune to the point where Mike Love and Mark McGrath are nearly indistinguishable from each other on a track like “Do It Again.” Foskett’s falsetto sounds like a moog synthesizer it’s so processed.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 11 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx