gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
647661 Posts in 25908 Topics by 3700 Members - Latest Member: BigRed June 20, 2019, 12:35:07 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike working on yet another new album  (Read 7026 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #150 on: June 04, 2019, 07:08:59 AM »

It's interesting that Mike hasn't sought out a Terry Melcher-type collaborator to continue to write new material that much. Yes, there are a few actual originals (or newly polished-off songs) on the recent albums. But beyond the glut of cover versions and BB re-recordings, most of the "originals" on the albums have been songs written decades ago.

One would have thought that Mike's continual stated desire to "write songs from scratch" alone in a room with Brian would have sprung at least in part by a desire to write new music in general. Yet, we don't see him seeking out alternate avenues to write a ton of material with other writers (at least in terms of what's released). It tends to reinforce the feeling some fans have that Mike's "alone in a room" thing with Brian had more to do with taking issue with *others* writing with Brian and getting writing credits/royalties.

It's interesting to break down the tracks across these recent three Mike albums. There are a total of 49 tracks across these three albums. Of the 49 tracks:

- 33 are cover versions of songs previously released (including BB songs, standards, etc.)
     - Within this category approximately 24 are covers of songs Mike has already released as part of the BBs or solo
- 8 are re-recordings of unreleased songs known to have been written and recorded years ago
- 3 are previously released tracks more or less unchanged (Cool Head, Pisces Brothers, Alone on Christmas Day)
- 5 are as-yet-unheard-of originals

This is not an exact science; there is some overlap in these categories. I'm not counting the "It's OK" remake as previously released, even though it was aired a year ago. I'm assuming on those five seemingly "new" compositions; for instance, "All the Love in Paris" is a co-write with his old collaborator Paul Fauerso, so it could actually be older as well. Also, one of those "originals" isn't a Mike co-write.

Which original is not a Mike co-write?

My *partial* bad. I was thinking of "Must Be Christmas", which is on Mike's XMas album and is not co-written by Mike. But I guess that one is technically a "cover" of a track recorded a few years prior by the "Band of Merrymakers" seasonal group fronted by the song's writers.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Steven
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: June 14, 2019, 06:06:08 PM »

This is about as awful as it gets. The voice, that wasn't very good to begin with, is shot to hell from 649 concerts a year(talk about overexposure!). No one, absolutely nobody cares what Mike Love is trying to do these days, and are probably surprised he's even still around. He's a friggin' parody of himself in yet this geezer still thinks he's has major importance in the world of entertainment. Sad. Just sad that's all.

I'm sure there are several people who care about Mike Love's current activities, possibly thousands. I don't recall Love proclaiming his "importance in the world of entertainment"; he's simply doing what he's been doing since 1962. You don't have to love Mike's Endless Summer but you certainly hate it with relentless passion.

Mike rubs me the wrong way at times...always has. But I rejoice that he is still standing. Check out his show if they come to your town...you may enjoy it in spite of yourself. 
« Last Edit: June 14, 2019, 07:07:38 PM by Steven » Logged
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: June 14, 2019, 11:11:27 PM »

This is about as awful as it gets. The voice, that wasn't very good to begin with, is shot to hell from 649 concerts a year(talk about overexposure!). No one, absolutely nobody cares what Mike Love is trying to do these days, and are probably surprised he's even still around. He's a friggin' parody of himself in yet this geezer still thinks he's has major importance in the world of entertainment. Sad. Just sad that's all.

I'm sure there are several people who care about Mike Love's current activities, possibly thousands. I don't recall Love proclaiming his "importance in the world of entertainment"; he's simply doing what he's been doing since 1962. You don't have to love Mike's Endless Summer but you certainly hate it with relentless passion.

Mike rubs me the wrong way at times...always has. But I rejoice that he is still standing. Check out his show if they come to your town...you may enjoy it in spite of yourself. 
Cool Guy Cool
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx