gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680553 Posts in 27596 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 19, 2024, 03:20:08 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Your Favorite Non-BBs Christmas Album  (Read 6883 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: December 17, 2020, 01:12:46 PM »

Not a Christmas album and don’t know if it was ever recorded on a record, but I just heard online The Monkees singing Riu Chiu.
A cappella. Excellent blend.
The folk group I was in sang this song, same arrangement, every Christmas season. I believe it was popular in folk music circles back in the 60s.

Thanks for the heads up, Lizzie. According to Wikipedia:

"In 1967, the Monkees performed the song live on a Christmas episode of their TV series entitled 'The Monkees' Christmas Show'. A studio version was released on subsequent compilation albums (and later on the 2018 album Christmas Party.) It is likely the Monkees learned the song from their producer, Chip Douglas, who himself had performed it with his former band, the Modern Folk Quartet, on their 1964 album Changes."

This must be the studio version. Sounds great to me! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_NQytR1zKk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%ADu_R%C3%ADu_Ch%C3%ADu

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 17, 2020, 02:12:00 PM »

No, just love a variety of orchestral versions of the nutcracker

Valery Gergiev and the Mariinsky ballet is my go-to... but I have had to watch it 7 times in the last three weeks for my teaching job and I am definitely Nutcrackered out.  LOL
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 17, 2020, 04:29:13 PM »

No, just love a variety of orchestral versions of the nutcracker

Valery Gergiev and the Mariinsky ballet is my go-to... but I have had to watch it 7 times in the last three weeks for my teaching job and I am definitely Nutcrackered out.  LOL

Really? My wife and I are huge Gergiev fans and have attended dozens of his concerts, including a goodly few with the Mariinsky Orchestra. While in St Petersburg last year we attended a performance at the Mariinsky Theatre of Prokofiev's opera Betrothal in a Monastery but Gergiev didn't conduct it. It was a fantastic experience all the same.   

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: December 17, 2020, 05:08:45 PM »

Not a Christmas album and don’t know if it was ever recorded on a record, but I just heard online The Monkees singing Riu Chiu.
A cappella. Excellent blend.
The folk group I was in sang this song, same arrangement, every Christmas season. I believe it was popular in folk music circles back in the 60s.

Thanks for the heads up, Lizzie. According to Wikipedia:

"In 1967, the Monkees performed the song live on a Christmas episode of their TV series entitled 'The Monkees' Christmas Show'. A studio version was released on subsequent compilation albums (and later on the 2018 album Christmas Party.) It is likely the Monkees learned the song from their producer, Chip Douglas, who himself had performed it with his former band, the Modern Folk Quartet, on their 1964 album Changes."

This must be the studio version. Sounds great to me! 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i_NQytR1zKk

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/R%C3%ADu_R%C3%ADu_Ch%C3%ADu

Forget Wikipedia, click on this link to read probably all you would need to know about Riu Chiu and how the Monkees came to perform it on their TV show. This is part of an old blog I had with H called "Classic Studio Sessions", and Riu Chiu was one that had an entry along with a handful of other Christmas tunes I explored (with audio samples too). Entry #8 in my "Twelve Songs Of Christmas" series which I never finished.

Check it out: http://classicstudiosessions.blogspot.com/2013/12/the-twelve-songs-of-christmas-series-8.html

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx