gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:51:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Spring
5 - 11 (22.4%)
4 - 29 (59.2%)
3 - 9 (18.4%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 44

Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spring  (Read 27837 times)
Charles LePage @ ComicList
Chairman Of The Board

Hit me with your pet shark.

View Profile WWW
« on: August 18, 2006, 04:22:46 PM »

Discuss, review and rate Spring, released in 1972.

"quiet here, no one got crap to say?" - bringahorseinhere
MBE
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2006, 12:56:19 AM »

The last classic Brian album it just gets better and better. Kind of has the sound of Sunflower done with  the 15 Big Ones format. The last time Brian was really Brian.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2006, 09:08:32 PM by MBE » Logged
Jason
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2006, 05:39:15 PM »

Complete, utter sh*t.
SG7
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2006, 03:32:32 PM »

Sweet Mountain is Brian's swan song. The last production as we knew him. That song makes this whole album.

5 stars 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2006, 12:03:52 PM »

"It's about 5% Brian - but then 5% of Brian Wilson is better than 100% of most people" - Steve Desper, 1985.

"5% ? No way - more like 25%" - Marilyn Wilson, 1993

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2006, 03:37:46 PM »

Sweet Mountain or the whole album?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2006, 10:21:31 AM »

The whole album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2006, 10:53:06 AM »

Thanks.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2006, 07:53:45 AM »

I agree that "Sweet mountain" is one of the best songs Brian's ever done (imo) and I begin to really like this album, it has a great sound. 4 stars.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2007, 08:59:53 PM »

i really enjoy the whole album. Shyin' away is my fav

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2007, 12:14:57 PM »

I don't think Shyin' Away is on the album...However itIS a great track. I've converted quite a few people to the BW cause using Shyin'Away and Sweet Mountain. Totally beautiful stuff.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2007, 09:16:44 PM »

i think this is brian's best side project, there's some clunkers in there, but most are all enjoyable...i love their version of Thinkin' bout you Baby, Sweet Mountain is soooo good (mike/brian's backing sounds great), Shyin' Away is a classic...prolly beats some of the beach boys 70's "creativity"

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
C.Miller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2007, 10:04:34 PM »

I really love Brian's tag to Forever here, more than the original. It's just amazing.
MBE
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2007, 10:11:50 PM »

That tag is so bittersweet because it's almost the last time Brian would sound so good. Moving.
C.Miller
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2007, 10:57:21 PM »

That's why I love it. It's a perfect musical snapshot of what I would imagine he felt like at that time.

Also, Tennessee Waltz is perfect. Great song.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: August 30, 2008, 11:03:10 PM »

Part's of Brian's backups make him sound like his 15 BO self om "Sweet Mountain". Damn, that is a great track.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 31, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »

I give this a 4. It would be a 3.5 (or thereabouts) if we could give fractions, but I'm rounding up. Really, though, I don't like the women's voices much at all: my ranking is based on the tracks and production more than anything.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: October 27, 2008, 04:40:32 AM »

Four from me. Charming record.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 27, 2008, 09:22:51 AM »

Four stars from me as well. I actually like their voices. They don't even sound like professional singers, which might make the record less appealing to people outside the circle of BW diehards, but I couldn't care less about that.

In terms of what Brian was up to around '72, this probably gives a bit of a glimpse into what an extended Carl And The Passions could've been like. Imagine Sweet Mountain and Awake (the latter one sung by Brian, of course) being on that album. Very few people would've talked about the record being disappointing.
Rocky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2008, 09:42:29 PM »

four stars from semi-new member (i've been reading the board for a long time and using as my place to go get quick answers to those obscure questions i have from time to time)

i love this album, but i've always had the feeling that one of the reasons that people fall head over heels for this album is that by the time the average fan discovers it, they've already devoured just about everything else. The BB unreleased material can be hit and miss at best sometimes. Fir me it was kinda like "ok i've worn out every BB album, solo work included, what now...ok let's see i like dennis...WOW POB and Bambu rocks my socks, awesome! Ok what's this adult child stuff about...let me read this review...uh oh that's not gonna be good...i'll try it out anyhow, ok not as bad as i thought" then maybe some live stuff, a little junk, mike love solo stuff, etc then you get to sweet insanity and it's like "ok no more, i've found all the goodies...wait a sec...american spring? oh yeah i heard of that..." then at that point it just sounds awesome, such a great surprise for me to discover this album! and yes i realize that it is not an "unreleased album" but with it's availability it may as well be for us youngsters
« Last Edit: December 05, 2008, 09:44:51 PM by Rocky » Logged
MBE
« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2008, 01:51:38 AM »

Part's of Brian's backups make him sound like his 15 BO self om "Sweet Mountain". Damn, that is a great track.
He does do a bass part that sounds quite close but less rasp. He also does do the high parts on that song so it more a matter of him trying out different styles. Something he told me he was doing.
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2008, 11:01:33 AM »

i love this album, but i've always had the feeling that one of the reasons that people fall head over heels for this album is that by the time the average fan discovers it, they've already devoured just about everything else. The BB unreleased material can be hit and miss at best sometimes. Fir me it was kinda like "ok i've worn out every BB album, solo work included, what now...ok let's see i like dennis...WOW POB and Bambu rocks my socks, awesome! Ok what's this adult child stuff about...let me read this review...uh oh that's not gonna be good...i'll try it out anyhow, ok not as bad as i thought" then maybe some live stuff, a little junk, mike love solo stuff, etc then you get to sweet insanity and it's like "ok no more, i've found all the goodies...wait a sec...american spring? oh yeah i heard of that..." then at that point it just sounds awesome, such a great surprise for me to discover this album! and yes i realize that it is not an "unreleased album" but with it's availability it may as well be for us youngsters

That may be true for some, but I love "Spring" just for what it is - not because I'm bored or looking for something new.  The melodies, the Brian production & backing, and the homey amateurness of the vocals are very appealing to me.   There've been some long-unavailable and/or unreleased things I came across that I didn't enjoy when I finally got ahold of them (e.g., "A World of Peace Must Come") and some I thought were a lot better than their reputation (I actually like "Sweet Insanity" better than "Brian Wilson," despite some of the cringe-worthy Landy lyrics.)

BTW, when do the "Spring" bonus tracks date from?  I'm talking about "Shyin' Away," "Falling in Love," "It's Like Heaven," and "Had to Phone Ya."
MBE
« Reply #22 on: December 06, 2008, 05:40:47 PM »

Spring to me is just good Brian Wilson, the last full project from his prime. The bonus cuts Shyin Away and Fallin In Love were a 45 from 1973 and Had To Phone Ya was cut at the same time. It's Like Heaven is from 77 or 78 there are two version but I don't know which one was later.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 06, 2008, 07:11:58 PM »

Spring to me is just good Brian Wilson, the last full project from his prime.

MBE, percentage-wise, how much do you think David Sandler contributed to the Spring album compared to Brian Wilson? I have read varying accounts.
MBE
« Reply #24 on: December 06, 2008, 08:37:32 PM »

Well I look it at this way. David put in the hours but Brian was still producing, singing, and writing at a very high level when he felt like working. Thus say Brian came in for an hour each session and David oversaw the other four or however many hours, Brian still had a big impact. He worked fast back then and could add a lot in a short space of time. It was (I think) Sandler who had told the story that he was sitting with Brian in his driveway about to go out when Brian heard something coming from the studio. He ran in fiddled with the knobs a few minutes and made the record sound a lot better. So in my eyes the record may not have been completed or organised without Sandler and Desper, but it wouldn't have had the same magic without Brian.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx