gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:23:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Poll
Question: Rate Spring
5 - 11 (22.4%)
4 - 29 (59.2%)
3 - 9 (18.4%)
2 - 0 (0%)
1 - 0 (0%)
0 - 0 (0%)
Total Voters: 44

Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spring  (Read 27851 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2009, 03:10:27 AM »

Spring to me is just good Brian Wilson, the last full project from his prime.

MBE, percentage-wise, how much do you think David Sandler contributed to the Spring album compared to Brian Wilson? I have read varying accounts.

Spoke with Steve Desper in 1985 and he said it was about 5% Brian, and that Brian rapidly lost interest in the sessions. A few years later, asked Marilyn what she thought and she came up with 25% Brian... so whichever way you slice it, according to two of the most heavily involved participants, at least three-quarters of the album was not the work of Brian.

Quite recently, and purely by accident, I discovered that "Sweet Mountain", far from being a new composition, owes a huge debt to a sixties David Sandler song, "Standing Tall".

http://www.glacierdisc.com/littledipper/Standin%27%20Tall.mp3
« Last Edit: December 20, 2009, 03:15:02 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rogerlancelot
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2009, 04:24:53 AM »

Spring to me is just good Brian Wilson, the last full project from his prime.

MBE, percentage-wise, how much do you think David Sandler contributed to the Spring album compared to Brian Wilson? I have read varying accounts.

Spoke with Steve Desper in 1985 and he said it was about 5% Brian, and that Brian rapidly lost interest in the sessions. A few years later, asked Marilyn what she thought and she came up with 25% Brian... so whichever way you slice it, according to two of the most heavily involved participants, at least three-quarters of the album was not the work of Brian.

Quite recently, and purely by accident, I discovered that "Sweet Mountain", far from being a new composition, owes a huge debt to a sixties David Sandler song, "Standing Tall".

http://www.glacierdisc.com/littledipper/Standin%27%20Tall.mp3

"Everybody" sounds very "Brian".
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 26, 2011, 01:57:11 PM »

I love this album, or rather the (American) Spring CD I seem to have in my possession. I hear from AGD that the CD tracklist "is all to c*ck":

1. Everybody
2. Thinkin' 'Bout You Baby
3. Forever
4. Good Time
5. This Whole World
6. Awake
7. Sweet Mountain
8. Shyin' Away
9. Fallin' In Love
10. It's Like Heaven
11. Had To Phone Ya
12. Now That Everything's Been Said
13. Superstar
14. Mama Said
15. Down Home
16. Tennessee Waltz 

The original 1972 LP tracklist is as follows:

1. Tennessee Waltz
3. Mama Said
4. Superstar
5. Awake
6. Sweet Mountain
7. Everybody
8. This Whole World
9. Forever
10. Good Time
11. Now That Everything's Been Said
12. Down Home

I may get shot for saying this but in my opinion Spring knocks 15 Big Ones into a cocked hat----five. 

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
SufferingFools
Smiley Smile Associate

Fun is the only thing we still make here.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2012, 04:27:16 AM »

I love this album, or rather the (American) Spring CD I seem to have in my possession. I hear from AGD that the CD tracklist "is all to galo":

1. Everybody
3. Forever
4. Good Time
5. This Whole World
6. Awake
7. Sweet Mountain
8. Shyin' Away
9. Fallin' In Love
10. It's Like Heaven
11. Had To Phone Ya
12. Now That Everything's Been Said
13. Superstar
14. Mama Said
15. Down Home
16. Tennessee Waltz  

The original 1972 LP tracklist is as follows:

1. Tennessee Waltz
3. Mama Said
4. Superstar
5. Awake
6. Sweet Mountain
7. Everybody
8. This Whole World
9. Forever
10. Good Time
11. Now That Everything's Been Said
12. Down Home

I may get shot for saying this but in my opinion Spring knocks 15 Big Ones into a galoed hat----five.  

What label is that CD?  I have the See For Miles Records CD and it has the LP tracks in the correct order followed by the four bonus tracks.

And I agree that the Spring stuff sounds much better than 15 Big Ones.  For one thing, Spring's version of "Good Time" has a better mix with the Beach Boys more prominent.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2012, 04:28:34 AM by SufferingFools » Logged

"We're getting too much good material.... It's too usable." - BDW, 10/18/66
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 01:30:08 AM »

This is such a wonderful record, the fourth best BBs-related record from the 70s I've heard so far. (The three others being Sunflower, Surf's Up and Love You).

Please delete my account
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2012, 03:45:19 AM »

Heard this and Friends for the first time in SoCal, hard to explain why but it made them sound even better!

Oh, also, I heard POB for the first time driving into Santa Monica. An experience like no other...
« Last Edit: December 20, 2012, 12:11:58 PM by FatherOfTheMan » Logged

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »

Heard this and Friends for the first time in SolCal, hard to explain why but it made them sound even better!

Oh, also, I heard POB for the first time driving into Santa Monica. An experience like no other...

SolCal?

Satellite of Love California?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2012, 12:12:15 PM »

Lol iPhone problems... I meant SoCal

FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2013, 10:03:46 AM »

Does anyone know how much a copy of "Spring" may go for on vinyl? (Sealed?)

Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 06, 2013, 10:07:52 AM »

Been a huge BB fan for over a decade now and only just got into this album and the other Spring recordings. I don't know why but I just kind of ignored this material for some strange reason until I realized how amazing a few of these songs are, especially "Sweet Mountain". I'm guessing Brian had a huge hand in the synth sounds on that one. I could be wrong but it sounds so much like what Brian would do a few years later that he had to have some input on how that one sounded. Plus he apparently sang on it (which he sounds extremely weird and I thought it was D Sandler doing those bass vocals at first).

Anyways, Sweet Mountain is pretty much a masterpiece. What an amazing song that is. There are some throwaways here and there, but this album is overall really well done and incredibly tuneful. Very enjoyable and I love Marilyn and Diane's vocals. I don't understand all this "they sound unprofessional" crap, like that really matters.. In fact these girls sound way ahead of their time. Kind of reminds me of all the indie type bands that would do stuff like this 15-20 years later, like Kim Deal/Kelley Deal from the Breeders for example. Their voices are fine and I love them. They aren't perfect but I love them for what they are.

"Thinking About You Baby".. wow what a great cover. Really can see how this song would have fit on 'Today' don't you think? Reminds me of "Please Let Me Wonder" or "Kiss Me Baby", with the same vocal interplay between Mike and Brian except with M and D doing the voices instead. Really shows how the style of this song was when it was first written in '64, before deconstructed for "Darlin'" later on. It's quite incredibly well done, I love it!

Everybody is really good too.. Tennesse Waltz is really beautiful.. Some really melodic stuff here that is pure ear candy. "This Whole World" is really bizarre on this record. Just makes me believe there's gotta be touches of Brian on certain songs more than others. The ending to this version is just plain odd! Some other great stuff like "Awake" and their version of "Good Time". The whole album isn't as incredible as the songs I named but it is all very enjoyable and should be essential to Brian Wilson fans.

The bonus tracks just make this collection even better because Shyin' Away is one of the most perfect pop songs that should have been a huge hit, Fallin In Love is beautiful with Diane's sultry vocals and a few others like "It's Like Heaven" which are awesome and have the touches of Brian for sure. "Do Ya" (and a few others which apparently Brian had much MORE input on that aren't on this reissue but on other collections of Am Spring/The Honey's archives/ old out of print LPs or whatever) and others are also worth seeking out, very great stuff. It's a shame that Brian didn't keep working with the girls on this stuff because he was doing really good things, even by the late 70s when he recorded/produced them again. I personally think that despite how much influence/producing he did on this eponymous LP that perhaps he's the one who got them to work and to do this stuff. I mean once Brian completely lost interest, and after this LP didn't do jack on the charts, Spring just ceased to exist didn't they? Sandler apparently didn't do anything to keep them going, when they had plenty of talent to do so. Something to think about. I do commend Stephen Desper and him for a job well done on this recording, I know they also deserve the credit and accolades for what they did to make this album sound so good.

Regardless of how much Brian did on this record (which I will continue to be fascinated about and read about), I love this LP and love what American Spring did on this LP, singles around the era or what they did later with Brian in the late 70's. It's mostly gold as far as I'm concerned. Love their voices, love the melodic, beautiful, catchy songs on this record and wonderfully quirky arrangements. I am grateful that we have at least some Brian touches/co writes in an era where it was rare to hear any true inspiration come from him, same with Love You and a few other songs in the mid and late 70s. I think that a lot of this LP sounds even better in modern times than it may have at the time. It's a joyful, unpretentious, fun and catchy record so far removed from the overblown and pompous production types of this era, and more in line with what modern indie/underground rock/pop type bands would do later.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2013, 10:23:49 AM by jcjh20 » Logged
Mr. Wilson
Smiley Smile Associate

Surfs up around these parts.!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: December 12, 2013, 03:52:38 PM »

4/5 The best record Spring/Honeys were involved in IMHO.. Very Listenable and doesn't sound dated.
NickandthePassions
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 11, 2014, 08:34:59 PM »

Anyone know where I can get a copy of this without paying out of the a$$?  I'd love to hear it in the original track listing rather than spotty YouTube videos. 

Wish it was on Spotify.

"Living a dream
Don't wanna sleep
Might miss something"
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx