gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:38:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New Brian Wilson Songs Discovered on BMI's Website  (Read 3692 times)
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: March 10, 2019, 11:13:13 PM »

Hey y'all,

In my pursuit of securing copyrights for the songs in Sweet Insanity, I ended up in BMI's website, and discovered many song titles of songs written at least partially by Brian Wilson that I had never heard before, and perhaps will never see the light of day.

Under GLVD Publishing, along with all the Sweet Insanity songs, I get interesting titles such as:
Rings
Talkman Talkman
Terri She Needs Me
Walking on Water
Music in My Head
No One Ever Says No
Gidget
Hey Mr Space Cadet

And many more weird, fascinating titles. I encourage a look at this website. It feels like I discovered some more "Bedroom Tapes" although these are from the '80s I think, the titles are sure just as weird...

Under Beach Bum Music I get all of these, along with some other songs from Brian Wilson '88, and some remnants of Pet Sounds Outtakes (Hang on to Your Ego Instrumental).

Something interesting is a lot of these songs were written or at least copyrighted with David W Foster, is he someone famous? Did I uncover something new in Brian's catalogue? I'd like to think so, but who knows...

Any thoughts on this? Also I will keep you guys updated on the Sweet Insanity Sheet Music, I just finished an SATB+Piano reduction of Water Builds Up. Concert Tonight is getting reworked as well.

Sorry for the rambling, hope someone found this interesting!
rn57
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 12:37:57 AM »

Info on the one Wilson/Foster collaboration to be released (on a 1990 Foster album and on GIOMH, with different lyrics and retitled) is here
http://www.fozfan.com/2007/05/20/fairy-tale/
The site also gives an overview of Foster’s career.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 01:53:56 AM »

I'm afraid there are some tracks on your list that already circulate in some form:

"Terri, She Needs Me" was uploaded by Brian's official instagram account last month: https://www.instagram.com/p/BuGzm-_n_Nf/

"Rings", if I recall correctly, was on one of Andy Paley bootleg somehow, and is uploaded on Youtube: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwDwv_Mppxs

Same goes for "Walking On Water": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6MV2yaMbhQw
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 02:00:05 AM »

Not to derail your thread, but there is also a list of Brian songs from Landy era, apparently from the Library of Congress copyright records, posted on this forum years ago: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=4645.0

It's an utterly fascinating and intriguing list, for sure. Not sure how many more of them we will ever get to hear, though.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2019, 02:00:49 AM by Wata » Logged
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 05:26:45 AM »

Also sometimes things were released with different titles-like water builds up became let’s go to heaven in my car
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 09:50:08 AM »

I am aware of all of these boots, I didn't want to post the whole list of names that I found. Some more interesting ones are:
Life's Not a Fantasy
It's the Ocean and Me
Not This Again
Number One
Robotech Scheme
Time Stood Still (With CATONA credit)
You're Not the Same

And more... I brought up the ones that might be familiar with hardcore fans, but nevertheless, I still find it really interesting. I'll take a look at the Copyright office too. One thing is for sure, if Brian's catalogue ever gets extended box sets, I will be the first one to vouch for these releases.
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 10:41:37 AM »

I am aware of all of these boots, I didn't want to post the whole list of names that I found. Some more interesting ones are:
Life's Not a Fantasy
It's the Ocean and Me
Not This Again
Number One
Robotech Scheme
Time Stood Still (With CATONA credit)
You're Not the Same

And more... I brought up the ones that might be familiar with hardcore fans, but nevertheless, I still find it really interesting. I'll take a look at the Copyright office too. One thing is for sure, if Brian's catalogue ever gets extended box sets, I will be the first one to vouch for these releases.

I remember several years ago looking at BMI, and there seemed like about 50 -80 songs I had never heard of.  I think a bunch of things were copyrighted in the early 90s that were all from the Landy period.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 11:07:49 AM »

I wonder if "Life's Not A Fantasy" could be an early version of "Bells of Madness"?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2019, 12:00:54 PM »

"Number One" is also known as "Visions", and was released by Rachel and the Revolvers in 1962

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2019, 05:50:17 PM »

I need them all

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Joel Goldenberg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 11:11:09 AM »

Rings sounds like Carry Me by The Stampeders.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx