gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
644514 Posts in 25767 Topics by 3669 Members - Latest Member: ChristieSc March 18, 2019, 05:05:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
18thofMay, Jeff and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hal Blaine RIP  (Read 3522 times)
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2019, 09:17:54 AM »

Obviously the most influential drummer of all time. RIP.

Yup, I read he played drums on at least 40 number one hits. His work on Be My Baby alone is an enviable legacy.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
The Dr. of Wilsonomics
Global Moderator

🍦🍦My daughter and I -23 Dec 2018 ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2019, 11:37:26 AM »

Hell just him doing the intro for Be My Baby solidifies his legacy

RIP Alexa Lestage (8 May 1995- 10 June 2018) .

https://www.gofundme.com/help-support-the-jurkowlaniecs

Lady:”Sir why you are drowning my son!!! “
Guy:“Maa’m, the ad clearly reads...SEA horse rides for a dollar “
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2019, 06:28:39 PM »

Thanks to the always-solid Randy Lewis for a terrific obit on Hal, who was (as we all know) a giant in his field, and a man who was never at a loss for words, either. Thank goodness he'll live on forever on the many, many fantastic records he graced with his presence.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2019, 07:00:11 AM »

Hell just him doing the intro for Be My Baby solidifies his legacy

Well said. Hal would later perform that same drumbeat on Sinatra’s “Strangers In The Night”.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2019, 09:29:28 AM »

Hal was a Great Guy!  I have recorded him many times. He was the El Dorado of pop and rock drumming when all those great ol' hits were made. A joy to work with, he freely gave me tips on microphone placement I have used all my professional life. The US Navy used Hal's steady beat to set their clocks by. I know he could keep time like an atomic clock because I use to record him playing the drums at 30IPS (professional tape speed). In editing, I could mark his beats on the tape and compare one verse of take one to the same verse of take two -- and the beats were usually within a quarter-inch of each other. In other words if you took 15 feet of tape from each take and placed them side by side on the floor, the beats from take to take would line up almost perfect. At 30IPS quarter note beats are every few feet, so the tape is like a magnifying glass for timing. Anyway, Hal was thee guy for drumming thru most of the 60s and 70s and even into the 80s. 

For an overview of the period check out this movie trailer >>>http://www.magpictures.com/thewreckingcrew/ .

To maintain his busy schedule he maintained two completely separate crews with two matching sets of drums and percussion. He just drove from one session to the next while his two crews leap-frogged the equipment from one studio to the next. Hal would have sometimes four or five sessions per day, so at triple scale he was really pulling in the money. It was Hal Blaine that kept Brian grounded on many occasions!   RIP my friend.

~swd
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2019, 03:44:31 PM »

Hal was a Great Guy!  I have recorded him many times. He was the El Dorado of pop and rock drumming when all those great ol' hits were made. A joy to work with, he freely gave me tips on microphone placement I have used all my professional life. The US Navy used Hal's steady beat to set their clocks by. I know he could keep time like an atomic clock because I use to record him playing the drums at 30IPS (professional tape speed). In editing, I could mark his beats on the tape and compare one verse of take one to the same verse of take two -- and the beats were usually within a quarter-inch of each other. In other words if you took 15 feet of tape from each take and placed them side by side on the floor, the beats from take to take would line up almost perfect. At 30IPS quarter note beats are every few feet, so the tape is like a magnifying glass for timing. Anyway, Hal was thee guy for drumming thru most of the 60s and 70s and even into the 80s. 

For an overview of the period check out this movie trailer >>>http://www.magpictures.com/thewreckingcrew/ .

To maintain his busy schedule he maintained two completely separate crews with two matching sets of drums and percussion. He just drove from one session to the next while his two crews leap-frogged the equipment from one studio to the next. Hal would have sometimes four or five sessions per day, so at triple scale he was really pulling in the money. It was Hal Blaine that kept Brian grounded on many occasions!   RIP my friend.

~swd

Thanks for sharing those recollections, Stephen. RIP Hal 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Yesterday at 03:50:50 AM »

Thank you, Mr. Desper, for your beautiful and characteristically informative post about Mr. Blaine. He will be greatly missed.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Today at 12:57:04 AM »

Yesterday old Tubey pointed me at this incredible album by Mr. Blaine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qa8rswFKEY

http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.com/2007/06/hal-blaine-psychedelic-percussion-lp.html

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Today at 02:27:51 AM »

For an overview of the period check out this movie trailer >>>http://www.magpictures.com/thewreckingcrew/

Mr. Desper or anyone else who knows: Can you please tell me the name of the tune that begins just after the Boys' preamble to "LDC", right at the start? It's so familiar but the name eludes me. It would be much appreciated.

gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx