gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:44:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hal Blaine RIP  (Read 16685 times)
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 14, 2019, 09:17:54 AM »

Obviously the most influential drummer of all time. RIP.

Yup, I read he played drums on at least 40 number one hits. His work on Be My Baby alone is an enviable legacy.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #51 on: March 14, 2019, 11:37:26 AM »

Hell just him doing the intro for Be My Baby solidifies his legacy

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 14, 2019, 06:28:39 PM »

Thanks to the always-solid Randy Lewis for a terrific obit on Hal, who was (as we all know) a giant in his field, and a man who was never at a loss for words, either. Thank goodness he'll live on forever on the many, many fantastic records he graced with his presence.
BananaLouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Columnated ruins domino

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 15, 2019, 07:00:11 AM »

Hell just him doing the intro for Be My Baby solidifies his legacy

Well said. Hal would later perform that same drumbeat on Sinatra’s “Strangers In The Night”.

"I'm not a genius. I'm just a hard working guy." - Brian Wilson
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« Reply #54 on: March 15, 2019, 09:29:28 AM »

Hal was a Great Guy!  I have recorded him many times. He was the El Dorado of pop and rock drumming when all those great ol' hits were made. A joy to work with, he freely gave me tips on microphone placement I have used all my professional life. The US Navy used Hal's steady beat to set their clocks by. I know he could keep time like an atomic clock because I use to record him playing the drums at 30IPS (professional tape speed). In editing, I could mark his beats on the tape and compare one verse of take one to the same verse of take two -- and the beats were usually within a quarter-inch of each other. In other words if you took 15 feet of tape from each take and placed them side by side on the floor, the beats from take to take would line up almost perfect. At 30IPS quarter note beats are every few feet, so the tape is like a magnifying glass for timing. Anyway, Hal was thee guy for drumming thru most of the 60s and 70s and even into the 80s. 

For an overview of the period check out this movie trailer >>>http://www.magpictures.com/thewreckingcrew/ .

To maintain his busy schedule he maintained two completely separate crews with two matching sets of drums and percussion. He just drove from one session to the next while his two crews leap-frogged the equipment from one studio to the next. Hal would have sometimes four or five sessions per day, so at triple scale he was really pulling in the money. It was Hal Blaine that kept Brian grounded on many occasions!   RIP my friend.

~swd
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 15, 2019, 03:44:31 PM »

Hal was a Great Guy!  I have recorded him many times. He was the El Dorado of pop and rock drumming when all those great ol' hits were made. A joy to work with, he freely gave me tips on microphone placement I have used all my professional life. The US Navy used Hal's steady beat to set their clocks by. I know he could keep time like an atomic clock because I use to record him playing the drums at 30IPS (professional tape speed). In editing, I could mark his beats on the tape and compare one verse of take one to the same verse of take two -- and the beats were usually within a quarter-inch of each other. In other words if you took 15 feet of tape from each take and placed them side by side on the floor, the beats from take to take would line up almost perfect. At 30IPS quarter note beats are every few feet, so the tape is like a magnifying glass for timing. Anyway, Hal was thee guy for drumming thru most of the 60s and 70s and even into the 80s. 

For an overview of the period check out this movie trailer >>>http://www.magpictures.com/thewreckingcrew/ .

To maintain his busy schedule he maintained two completely separate crews with two matching sets of drums and percussion. He just drove from one session to the next while his two crews leap-frogged the equipment from one studio to the next. Hal would have sometimes four or five sessions per day, so at triple scale he was really pulling in the money. It was Hal Blaine that kept Brian grounded on many occasions!   RIP my friend.

~swd

Thanks for sharing those recollections, Stephen. RIP Hal 
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2019, 03:50:50 AM »

Thank you, Mr. Desper, for your beautiful and characteristically informative post about Mr. Blaine. He will be greatly missed.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 18, 2019, 12:57:04 AM »

Yesterday old Tubey pointed me at this incredible album by Mr. Blaine:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8qa8rswFKEY

http://mutant-sounds.blogspot.com/2007/06/hal-blaine-psychedelic-percussion-lp.html

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 18, 2019, 02:27:51 AM »

For an overview of the period check out this movie trailer >>>http://www.magpictures.com/thewreckingcrew/

Mr. Desper or anyone else who knows: Can you please tell me the name of the tune that begins just after the Boys' preamble to "LDC", right at the start? It's so familiar but the name eludes me. It would be much appreciated.

Summer_Days
Smiley Smile Associate

...and your dream comes true.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #59 on: March 18, 2019, 05:48:40 PM »

I had to stop and collect my thoughts.
The staggering amount of records that are beloved to me that he played on, that I tap my feet to, just wow. Most important, most beloved to me out of all is ‘Wouldn’t It Be Nice’, my favorite song in the universe. Brought to life by Brian and Tony, Hal and the other session musicians, the other Beach Boys and the others in the studio that helped it along. It wouldn’t be the musical wonder it is without them. Hal was the heartbeat of my favorite song.

I’ll miss his insights and his humor. Thank you good sir. RIP.

Wouldn't it be nice if we were older, then we wouldn't have to wait so long
And wouldn't it be nice to live together, in the kind of world where we belong?
http://wildsmiley.weebly.com
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2019, 07:02:29 PM »

For an overview of the period check out this movie trailer >>>http://www.magpictures.com/thewreckingcrew/

Mr. Desper or anyone else who knows: Can you please tell me the name of the tune that begins just after the Boys' preamble to "LDC", right at the start? It's so familiar but the name eludes me. It would be much appreciated.

"Out Of Limits" by The Marketts, which was the Wrecking Crew. A take-off on the Twilight Zone theme song that became a big hit. Great record.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUZa1bDY2JI
« Last Edit: March 18, 2019, 07:04:52 PM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2019, 08:43:53 PM »

2 Reply #57 - I've got that HB album. Fave track - "May".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2019, 06:36:33 AM »

For those who haven't seen it or read the liners, Hal's "Psychedelic Percussion" album, released early summer 1967...I scored this one years ago at a yard sale, still one of the coolest LP finds I've ever had, and it was late in the morning when I stumbled on this one. By rights it shouldn't have been there that late, but it was. Funny how I don't remember things from yesterday, but can remember exactly where and when I found this album. Still hoping to find an original vinyl of Hal's earlier "Drums! Drums! A Go Go" album, the one with his blue kit on the cover, but I refuse to pay "retail" and don't want a CD  Smiley.

Take a look at the liner notes, there are some interesting items which I'll mention later.

And consider *this* was released the same year "Smile" was being worked on then scrapped, and "Smiley Smile" was released...

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 20, 2019, 04:01:02 AM »

"Out Of Limits" by The Marketts, which was the Wrecking Crew. A take-off on the Twilight Zone theme song that became a big hit. Great record.

Thanks a lot, gf.  Smiley  Yes, a great record. The Marketts did some cool stuff. Love those horn calls!

And thanks for posting the album cover. The list of instruments Hal plays on it is mind-blowing. Shocked

mojoman3061
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2019, 02:58:09 PM »

Adding my heartfelt thanks for everything, Mr Blaine.  You had a great run on this earth--90 years' worth!  You won't be forgotten in any of our lifetimes.

I got a kick out of Mr Desper's account of Blaine's two crews following him around from session to session, and I am in awe of Blaine's sense of time as Desper described it.  I checked with a ruler just now, and a quarter of an inch is about half the width of my little finger.
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2019, 04:18:57 PM »

I'm so sorry it took me so long to see this and thank Stephen. What a wonderful tribute from Hal's working world!

~swd
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2019, 04:23:58 PM »

Wonderful
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx