gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 03:02:22 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hal Blaine RIP  (Read 16686 times)
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 11, 2019, 05:37:02 PM »

Amazing Drummer! He of course drummed on one of my favorite songs: Help Me, Rhonda. I love his humor during Brian's sessions too, he kept the guys in a good mood. I remember when I first heard about who Hal was. To me he was just a voice just like all of the others in the Crew, since I had never seen a picture or videos of him. Then I got the Smile 2004 Beautiful Dreamer DVD for my Birthday. That was the first time I seen Hal and all of the other musicians in person. Then as the years went by interviews with others had appeared on YouTube or Documentaries from Billy Strange to Leon Russell. I always enjoyed Hal, because he seemed like this huge presence in the Beach Boy's world; thanks to my introduction of the Crew from The Beach Boys An American Family on ABC. When I found out that he played on other stuff I had heard on the oldies station,  that blew me away too. As someone said on Facebook, the next Thunder Storm we have,will it be Dennis or Hal? Well, time for some Vegetable Arguments and Amusement Parks U.S.A.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 11, 2019, 05:49:27 PM »

RIP Hal,

So sad

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Mark A. Moore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: March 11, 2019, 06:09:49 PM »

A huge loss . . . We knew it was coming . . . But still, it's like, WHAT? . . . The end of an era . . . Such an integral part of the soundtrack of our lives.

Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 11, 2019, 06:24:21 PM »

As much the best as anyone.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 11, 2019, 08:48:49 PM »

Hi SmileySmile.net.
So sad about Hal Blaine, though he seems to have lived as full a life as one can want.
chewy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 11, 2019, 09:56:55 PM »

RIP
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2019, 10:04:59 PM »

Could still rock out almost to the end. RIP Hal.

Hal and Ronnie. Jan 2017 ‘Be my Baby’

https://youtu.be/ly5kcghjzH4

https://youtu.be/v3pdLX8kg6Q
Crack Smokerson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2019, 10:53:40 PM »

"Yer gonna get a tomata all over yer puss."

The poster formerly known as stack-o-tracks
dombanzai
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2019, 12:26:53 AM »

Very sad news, news which looks to have been overlooked here in the UK in the national media.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2019, 01:45:53 AM »

Just saw it on Norwegian news. Very sad, but a life lived long and to the full I'm sure!

Hal had this powerful presence on all the Pet Sounds and Smile tapes, definitely a leader of fantastic musicians and a big supporter of Brian at his creative peak. Gonna listen to Be My Baby now!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:46:29 AM by Cabinessenceking » Logged
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2019, 04:04:17 AM »

RIP Hal. You provided the beat for the 60s.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2019, 06:32:29 AM »

L.A. Times obit for Hal Blaine, with BB content:
https://www.latimes.com/entertainment/music/la-et-ms-hal-blaine-obituary-drums-wrecking-crew-20190311-story.html
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2019, 06:47:00 AM »

Sad news. Rest in peace, Hal!

EDIT:

Learn to play drums with Hal:

Hal Blaine - Have Fun!!! Play Drums!!! (Album 1968)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXAkD1djxqo
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 07:14:59 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2019, 07:04:08 AM »

Emdeeh, thanks for posting that obituary/article.  Hal Blaine is someone that, I think, everyone here would have loved to hang out with.  Seemed like such a great guy, always a pro, always able to keep people laughing, always the best drummer on earth.  He lived a long life, he will be missed.  May he rest in peace.  Thoughts and prayers go out to his family and friends.
ClassicShowsFan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2019, 07:16:46 AM »

Does anyone know how he died? Was he sick?
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2019, 07:21:09 AM »

Thanks for being the greatest drummer of all time Hal. RIP.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2019, 12:00:56 PM »

This comes from Al who just posted this on his Facebook account:

Hal Blaine was the sound of The Beach Boys and now a big part of that has left us. He was a great man and a great teacher who really knew his stuff. He was the leader of the Wrecking Crew who organized all the musicians, paperwork and charts. We were the idea guys and he was the professional who put it all together and harnessed so many of Brian Wilson's musical ideas and helped put them down on tape. In the studio, he was the conductor in charge of all the musicians and made sure everyone showed up! When we were recording Loop de Loop, Hal helped me immensely by organizing all the players and giving the song that big drum sound. I admired his stoic professionalism and nervous energy and he gave me confidence in his presence. He also said I was his favorite rhythm guitarist but I'm sure he was misquoted…lol. We couldn't have done it without you, Hal ❤️ RIP

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2019, 12:26:40 PM »

Hal is immortal through building the 1960s studio sound...

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2019, 01:36:22 PM »

This comes from Al who just posted this on his Facebook account:

Hal Blaine was the sound of The Beach Boys and now a big part of that has left us. He was a great man and a great teacher who really knew his stuff. He was the leader of the Wrecking Crew who organized all the musicians, paperwork and charts. We were the idea guys and he was the professional who put it all together and harnessed so many of Brian Wilson's musical ideas and helped put them down on tape. In the studio, he was the conductor in charge of all the musicians and made sure everyone showed up! When we were recording Loop de Loop, Hal helped me immensely by organizing all the players and giving the song that big drum sound. I admired his stoic professionalism and nervous energy and he gave me confidence in his presence. He also said I was his favorite rhythm guitarist but I'm sure he was misquoted…lol. We couldn't have done it without you, Hal ❤️ RIP

That is such a great and heartfelt comment from Al. 
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2019, 05:01:57 PM »

More from Al in Rolling Stone

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/hal-blaine-beach-boys-al-jardine-807270/
rasmus skotte
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 13, 2019, 03:04:34 AM »

Sun Going Down On HB ...
There can be no memorial HALindrum without mentioning The WRECK(ing) CREW (almost palindromic in itself). OR "The CLIQUE" as Hal himself   called it - a totally UNreversible word (?)                                                                                                                (exBlained by Eric Harshbarger/PapaLapap:)                                                                                                                                                                                                                 

>Hal: a renegade
Revered, HAL BLAINEd; re: W{RE}CK'~
C{RE}W as A W{RE}CK'~ C{RE}Wer
  "Denial-BLAH'd"?  -  er EVE~red!
        A *General*- Ah<
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 02:58:27 AM by >PapaLaPap< » Logged

Comics/cartooniés
(Fun Fun FUNniés)/Graphic NOVELties
Manga/animé
Bande dessinée
Tegneserié
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 13, 2019, 08:34:21 AM »

Al is amazing!

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: March 13, 2019, 10:43:33 AM »

Hal Blaine: The Lost Interview

The legendary drummer reflects on working with Elvis Presley, Dean Martin, the Ronettes and more in a previously unpublished conversation from 2017

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-features/hal-blaine-interview-elvis-presley-dean-martin-807188/

This interview originally seemed to be about Hal's work with Elvis but then turned to other aspects. Just a couple of years ago, the Elvis people found the session tapes of the late 60s sessions of Elvis and the Wrecking Crew. Those sessions brought "A little less conversation". Anyway, here is a small excerpt of the ALLC sessions with Elvis calling out Hal after the latter messed up the intro.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_wNld8l9Qk

Other parts of these sessions are available on the official Presley collector's label Follow That Dream

- Jack Rieley
Debbie KL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 13, 2019, 03:24:52 PM »

Thanks for sharing this - it was wonderfully written.
pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 14, 2019, 06:43:52 AM »

Obviously the most influential drummer of all time. RIP.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx