gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:59:38 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Endless Summer  (Read 4955 times)
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 08, 2019, 07:20:56 PM »

What would have happened if Endless Summer never existed?
RubberSoul13
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 07:47:51 PM »

Smaller venue circuit hits sooner? That boom of arenas and stadiums in the late 70's into the early 80's probably never would've happened, and the legacy would be even more watered down than it already is.
Crack Smokerson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 08:04:39 PM »

The Beatles would have reunited to fill in the nostalgia gap left in the space-time continuum and gone on to be the butt of many jokes after their 16th through 23rd albums bombed due to the poor musicianship and mediocre songwriting. Brian would have died of a massive coronary infarction in 1976, weighing in at a portly 463 lbs, though his clone would go on to sell many thousands of concert tickets over 2 decades later.. Dennis would have cleaned up his act and gone on to win several Academy Awards as both actor and producer. Carl would have renounced his conscientious objector status and joined  the Marines, serving as a general during Desert Storm and the first Iraq War. Mike Love would have opened a chain of gas stations after his 3rd consecutive solo album failed to chart and he was left with massive debt to his record label. Al Jardine opened a chain of steakhouses all up and down along the California coast but is currently in prison after it turned out the steaks were actually harvested off hitchhiking transients. Bruce Johnston moved to Iceland and funded a fleet of whaling ships which is currently the world leader in "sustainable and renewable" fuel oil; he met his end in 1992 after a mutiny on one of his ships lead to him being harpooned in the throat. Andrew G Doe opened a successful accounting firm where he met his wife and in his spare time enjoyed spending time with his 3 sons and researching the history of the multi-platinum recording artist known as Toto.

The poster formerly known as stack-o-tracks
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 10:02:07 PM »

I think they were running out of ideas after Holland. For that matter, Holland was not an easy album to make.  Wink So, in a way, Endless Summer helped camouflage a thin period creatively. I think they needed a couple years break from recording. I'd like to think, though, that without Endless Summer and Spirit of America, Carl and Dennis could have kept the group making mature musical statements, instead of the retro stuff the group went for when Brian returned.
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 12:16:23 AM »

The Beatles would have reunited to fill in the nostalgia gap left in the space-time continuum and gone on to be the butt of many jokes after their 16th through 23rd albums bombed due to the poor musicianship and mediocre songwriting. Brian would have died of a massive coronary infarction in 1976, weighing in at a portly 463 lbs, though his clone would go on to sell many thousands of concert tickets over 2 decades later.. Dennis would have cleaned up his act and gone on to win several Academy Awards as both actor and producer. Carl would have renounced his conscientious objector status and joined  the Marines, serving as a general during Desert Storm and the first Iraq War. Mike Love would have opened a chain of gas stations after his 3rd consecutive solo album failed to chart and he was left with massive debt to his record label. Al Jardine opened a chain of steakhouses all up and down along the California coast but is currently in prison after it turned out the steaks were actually harvested off hitchhiking transients. Bruce Johnston moved to Iceland and funded a fleet of whaling ships which is currently the world leader in "sustainable and renewable" fuel oil; he met his end in 1992 after a mutiny on one of his ships lead to him being harpooned in the throat. Andrew G Doe opened a successful accounting firm where he met his wife and in his spare time enjoyed spending time with his 3 sons and researching the history of the multi-platinum recording artist

known as Toto.

Wtf?   
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 07:49:39 AM »

I think they were running out of ideas after Holland. For that matter, Holland was not an easy album to make.  Wink So, in a way, Endless Summer helped camouflage a thin period creatively. I think they needed a couple years break from recording. I'd like to think, though, that without Endless Summer and Spirit of America, Carl and Dennis could have kept the group making mature musical statements, instead of the retro stuff the group went for when Brian returned.

What could they have done differently musically in the mid to late 70s?
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 12:32:38 PM »

The Beatles would have reunited to fill in the nostalgia gap left in the space-time continuum and gone on to be the butt of many jokes after their 16th through 23rd albums bombed due to the poor musicianship and mediocre songwriting. Brian would have died of a massive coronary infarction in 1976, weighing in at a portly 463 lbs, though his clone would go on to sell many thousands of concert tickets over 2 decades later.. Dennis would have cleaned up his act and gone on to win several Academy Awards as both actor and producer. Carl would have renounced his conscientious objector status and joined  the Marines, serving as a general during Desert Storm and the first Iraq War. Mike Love would have opened a chain of gas stations after his 3rd consecutive solo album failed to chart and he was left with massive debt to his record label. Al Jardine opened a chain of steakhouses all up and down along the California coast but is currently in prison after it turned out the steaks were actually harvested off hitchhiking transients. Bruce Johnston moved to Iceland and funded a fleet of whaling ships which is currently the world leader in "sustainable and renewable" fuel oil; he met his end in 1992 after a mutiny on one of his ships lead to him being harpooned in the throat. Andrew G Doe opened a successful accounting firm where he met his wife and in his spare time enjoyed spending time with his 3 sons and researching the history of the multi-platinum recording artist known as Toto.

LOL best way to respond to hypotheticals

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2019, 09:19:54 PM »

What could they have done differently musically in the mid to late 70s?
Perhaps Pacific Ocean Blue/Light Album type of music, as they had written a lot of tracks that ended up on these albums by the time they started to record 15 Big Ones.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2019, 10:17:43 PM »

I never understood why they just couldn’t have either released or re-recorded some of the tracks they had in the can after Holland. It would’ve sold with Endless Harmony out because it sounded more like classic Beach Boys than 15 Big Ones did , plus you have the added bonus of Brian vocals

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 04:23:47 AM »

Beach Boys would release an album which included River Song.
Aum Bop Diddit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2019, 06:26:25 PM »

And a follow up to Holland.

Hey!  Those are *MY* wind chimes!
shangaijoeBB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2019, 08:17:17 PM »

And a follow up to Holland.

You mean like this? Wink
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNdE6_Bc6O4
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 12:20:34 PM »

One of their greatest hits albums would have become big on the charts again as the mood of the country shifted in the 1970's and the younger generation embraced the music of the group.   
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 01:57:48 PM »

<<One of their greatest hits albums would have become big on the charts again as the mood of the country shifted in the 1970's and the younger generation embraced the music of the group.>>

Having become a fan during that time, I would disagree.  That new generation of teenagers (which I was a part of), had to be reminded who the Beach Boys were.  They weren't on our radar.  In 1974 we knew who the Beatles were but frequently got mixed up between the Bee Gees and the Beach Boys.  A couple of "B" groups.  I remember in 1973 being schooled in Sunday School class that the Bee Gees were cool.  The Beach Boys were not.  There were budget line albums available but nothing really on our radar.  I remember Beach Baby on the radio and thinking that must be The Beach Boys.  The genius of Endless Summer is that it wasn't packaged as a Greatest Hits collection.  It was simply packaged as a new Beach Boys album.  Carefully, yet seemingly randomly programmed, unlike the 1976 Brit collection 20 Golden Greats, which was chronological.  It wasn't marketed to original Beach Boys fans... the ones who bought Holland.  It was marketed to a new batch of teens - a new audience.  In the late 1970s I had a conversation with Dean Torrence about this.  He thought it was brilliant marketing, selling the  Beach Boys as something new.  He said it was precisely why his own 1972 Jan & Dean Anthology Album didn't sell as well.  It was automatically marked as "old."  Dean tried the Endless Summer approach with his own Gotta Take That One Last Ride set.  J&D classics sold simply as fun in the sun music, not greatest hits.  However, he was stuck on the UA label and they only spent about a thousand bucks... nothing near Capitol's massive ad campaign for Endless Summer.  People forget that Endless Summer was a phenomenon.  It was on the top 100 charts for years.  When I went to college as a freshman in 1977 the two albums everybody owned were Endless Summer and Dark Side of the Moon.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 05:04:19 PM »

And Spirit of America.
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 13, 2019, 07:28:37 PM »

<<One of their greatest hits albums would have become big on the charts again as the mood of the country shifted in the 1970's and the younger generation embraced the music of the group.>>

Having become a fan during that time, I would disagree.  That new generation of teenagers (which I was a part of), had to be reminded who the Beach Boys were.  They weren't on our radar.  In 1974 we knew who the Beatles were but frequently got mixed up between the Bee Gees and the Beach Boys.  A couple of "B" groups.  I remember in 1973 being schooled in Sunday School class that the Bee Gees were cool.  The Beach Boys were not.  There were budget line albums available but nothing really on our radar.  I remember Beach Baby on the radio and thinking that must be The Beach Boys.  The genius of Endless Summer is that it wasn't packaged as a Greatest Hits collection.  It was simply packaged as a new Beach Boys album.  Carefully, yet seemingly randomly programmed, unlike the 1976 Brit collection 20 Golden Greats, which was chronological.  It wasn't marketed to original Beach Boys fans... the ones who bought Holland.  It was marketed to a new batch of teens - a new audience.  In the late 1970s I had a conversation with Dean Torrence about this.  He thought it was brilliant marketing, selling the  Beach Boys as something new.  He said it was precisely why his own 1972 Jan & Dean Anthology Album didn't sell as well.  It was automatically marked as "old."  Dean tried the Endless Summer approach with his own Gotta Take That One Last Ride set.  J&D classics sold simply as fun in the sun music, not greatest hits.  However, he was stuck on the UA label and they only spent about a thousand bucks... nothing near Capitol's massive ad campaign for Endless Summer.  People forget that Endless Summer was a phenomenon.  It was on the top 100 charts for years.  When I went to college as a freshman in 1977 the two albums everybody owned were Endless Summer and Dark Side of the Moon.

I don't doubt that. I often look at the online Billboard magazine archives, and it's amazing to see what a chart run Endless Summer had. #1 in 1974, still in the top 100 in 75, along with Spirit of America and Good Vibrations - Best of the Beach Boys. In fact, Spirit of America shipped gold. But it's chart run was brief compared to Endless Sumer. Most of the big 62-65 hits had already been used on ES, SOA had Dance, Dance, Dance, Do You Wanna Dance, 409 and Barbara Ann, but mostly it was album tracks like Hawaii, Please Let Me Wonder, and Hushabye. A good collection, but no match for ES. GV had some major hits on it - God Only Knows, Wouldn't it Be Nice, Sloop John B, Sail on Sailor - so it's puzzling why it topped out at #25.
ES was still in the top 200 throughout 1976.
hideyotsuburaya
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2019, 08:20:48 AM »

a point probably not lost on the suits @ Capitol records, but Endless Summer was a double LP of the old mixes, no new remastering and certainly no songs in stereo for the first time.  Yet a huge success although technically retarded.  It took the new CD era to motivate somebody finally dig out the old multi's and stage tapes
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2019, 09:50:40 AM »

I haven't had a chance to read all these yet, but looking forward to it. I think the band would have broken up in the mid 70s. Though, if more music was made, it would have continued to be progressive.  I think Dennis would have gone solo fully, and probably become a huge pop star to the level of Joe Cocker. Unfortunately,  it may not have changed his downfall. Hopefully,  Brian still gets help despite the 'golden goose' not being a motive. They probably would never have hired Landy since they wouldn't have that kind of money. The Stan and Rocky saga would probably have still occurred.  Maybe without the pressures of touring, he would not have fallen back into drugs again in the late 70s? Carl probably would have pursued a solo career sooner. Mike has mentioned he wanted to become a full time TM teacher as early as 1970, so he probably would have done that. Al would likely be relaxing at his ranch. Brian may have eventually gone solo with Andy Paley, but healthier and without Landy. I think at some point though, there would have been a reunion a kin to the 2012 reunion with Brian as the main songwriter. If it were soon enough to include Carl, that would be awesome. The reputation would be much more respectable since they would have ended with Holland or In Concert, rather than many sub par albums and songs to follow.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx