gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680756 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 03:15:18 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My thoughts on Rock Pamplins Endless Wave  (Read 2818 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: March 07, 2019, 08:37:50 PM »

First of all, I am not here to cast judgements.  I have noticed many Beach Boys fans are convinced this book is as bad as Wouldn't It Be Nice, written with Eugene Landy. But I am always interested in hearing different perspectives. I don't see anything that is unbelievable in this book so far. Though he seems to give great details in stories that happened 40 years ago! Word for word conversations and specific gestures seems suspicious.  Either Rocky has an amazing memory,  he is paraphrasing what generally happened, or he is making stuff up. What I am curious about is if anyone has asked Marilyn about this book. If she says it's true. Brian may not be the best one to ask.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2019, 10:11:40 AM »

This was a question, I was hoping would be answered. Many have accused Rocky to make up stuff and that his book is not trustworthy. Do we know for certain this is the case? I don't think I would include getting years or certain timelines wrong. Every Beach Boys has misremembered certain details of things. I'm guessing his quotes of conversations were more a paraphrase unless he has a photographic memory or kept a journal at the time. But I am more concerned with the general events. Personally,  I don't see any contradictions with The Real Beach Boy by Jon Stebbins or any other writings from that era.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2019, 10:25:58 AM »

I myself haven't read it, and after reading some of Rocky/Ron's posts in the other thread, I don't have any real plans  to do so

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2019, 12:16:06 PM »

Asked Marilyn about it?  Wouldn't that be more than a little bit awkward.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 03:27:51 PM »

Perhaps there's something I'm missing? I haven't finished the book yet. So far, Marilyn comes across as supportive of Rocky in the book. Maybe things change later.

Clinton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 12, 2019, 05:33:38 PM »

Perhaps there's something I'm missing? I haven't finished the book yet. So far, Marilyn comes across as supportive of Rocky in the book. Maybe things change later.

From what I remember from the Heroes and Villains book, Marilyn did not describe Rocky in a positive light at all and said that the stories he shared in the book were all BS..
Clinton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2019, 05:36:02 PM »

Asked Marilyn about it?  Wouldn't that be more than a little bit awkward.

From what I remember from the Heroes and Villains book, Marilyn did not describe Rocky in a positive light at all and said that the stories he shared in the book were all BS..
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 05:37:27 PM by Clinton » Logged
Clinton
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 12, 2019, 05:36:31 PM »

Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 07:51:57 PM »

Heroes and Villains was written long before this book.  But I guess there are stories about him in Heroes and Villains?

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 09:00:25 PM »

According to the book the two of them had an affair.*  Rocky also made some disgusting comments about her in it. Of course there are several things in the book that are questionable , so who knows?

*Confirmed elsewhere, though

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 07:32:43 AM »

According to the book the two of them had an affair.*  Rocky also made some disgusting comments about her in it. Of course there are several things in the book that are questionable , so who knows?

*Confirmed elsewhere, though

I will say that in Endless Wave, Rocky portrays a flirtatious relationship between he and Marilyn. I am only in chapter 8, so I don't know if he mentions the affair in this book or not.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2019, 08:37:38 AM »

H&V was groundbreaking book for 1980s despite the minor errors on musical albums.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx