gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680716 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 02:34:14 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sweet Insanity Album Art Remake  (Read 2967 times)
JaiGuruDev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: March 02, 2019, 12:09:13 PM »

Hello. I did a recreation of this cover art for Sweet Insanity from an art book called "The Greatest Albums You'll Never Heard" by Bruno Macdonald. I tried getting it accurate as i possibly could since the original image has a pretty poor resolution. Special thanks to @kanittur (her Twitter) for doing the handwritten "Sweet Insanity". Hope you guys like it!

Original:

Remake:

Side by Side Comparison:

jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2019, 12:13:10 PM »

Beautiful, fantastic job! Looks very foofoo Razz

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2019, 10:54:56 PM »

Hey! Amazing work! I have a question, I am planning to eventually attempt to put out sheet music of the sweet insanity era, would it be okay if I used your recreation of the cover? Also I would like to write about where you sourced it from and such, if that is okay with you! Thanks.
JaiGuruDev
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 09:27:13 AM »

Hey! Amazing work! I have a question, I am planning to eventually attempt to put out sheet music of the sweet insanity era, would it be okay if I used your recreation of the cover? Also I would like to write about where you sourced it from and such, if that is okay with you! Thanks.

I don't have any problem with it! That cover is from an art book about lost albums called "The Greatest You'll Never Heard" by Bruno Macdonald. I don't have the book so i had to use that low quality pic for the recreation.
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 10:46:53 AM »

I don't have any problem with it! That cover is from an art book about lost albums called "The Greatest You'll Never Heard" by Bruno Macdonald. I don't have the book so i had to use that low quality pic for the recreation.

Thank you, especially since it is a recreation, I wanted to be careful ya know. Who knows if the music will ever see a light of day!  Cheesy
Bittersweet-Insanity
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 02:11:40 AM »

the book actually says that the album covers in it were just made for the book.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2019, 06:15:41 AM »

You can see some preview pages of the book here (the book itself appears to be easily obtainable as well):

https://www.amazon.com/Greatest-Albums-Youll-Never-Hear/dp/1844037770

The book does indeed appear to feature all fake, newly-created album covers. I'm obviously not an expert on all the bands featured in the book, but covers for the Beatles "Get Back" and the Beach Boys "Smile" are also newly-created for the book apparently (and, no offense to the artists in question, are pretty awful-looking compared to the actual original cover art which obviously does exist for those particular albums).

As only scattered pages can be previewed for the book, I'm unclear if the book commissioned all new artwork for the albums because there were legal or financial roadblocks to showing the actual original album covers (where extant), or if it was just meant to be an artistic exercise on the part of the artists, or something else. I'm guessing not all of the albums featured in the book have extant, available orignal art. But certainly some do, and they didn't use the actual "Smile" art for instance.

I had been thinking that the "Sweet Insanity" cover seemed to be too nice and clean compared to what we probably would have gotten in 1991/92 had "SI" actually been released. I'm guessing we would have seen something more cluttered and less slick.

Still, re-creating that album art by literally "eyeing" it was pretty impressive. I'm happy to sub in this fake art rather than this:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx