gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:07:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Record Store Day 2019 Rumored Releases -Dennis Wilson/Taylor Hawkins....  (Read 4409 times)
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 26, 2019, 01:45:25 PM »

I just came across the rumored release for Dennis Wilson / Taylor Hawkins, Brian May and Roger Taylor - Holy Man Side By Side - 7"

https://exclaim.ca/music/article/heres_the_list_of_rumoured_record_store_day_2019_releases

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 01:56:24 PM »

If this actually is making it out something like 12 years after the fact, I'd be curious to know if they really got a greenlight to put it out based on the Queen "biopic" being a new hit.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 02:01:53 PM »

If this actually is making it out something like 12 years after the fact, I'd be curious to know if they really got a greenlight to put it out based on the Queen "biopic" being a new hit.

That sounds like a very reasonable guess.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2019, 05:41:25 PM »

This getting released would be a very weird and specific thing to lie about, right? Hopefully there’s no one out there trolling Beach Boys fans. I’ll go ahead and assume this is happening…

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Rob Dean
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2019, 06:22:09 AM »

Great, the much muted (at the time of the POB expanded re-issue) the now legendary 'London Mix'  - Superb song and eerily great TH vocal, I look forward to what Mr May has added to it
BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2019, 02:21:18 PM »

Stephen Kalinich claimed in The Sun a few years back that it was blocked for legal reasons, so I assume that's all been sorted (https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/4192795/beach-boys-queen-foo-fighter-song-holy-man-blocked/)

From Brian May's Soapbox at the time

HOLY MAN

- a beautiful DENNIS WILSON TRACK

Well, since many people have been asking, and the word seems to be out there ....

I got inspired when Taylor sent me the track in its raw state, with a really soulful vocal from Taylor. It was a song which Dennis Wilson had begun, shortly before he died, but never finished. Beautiful piano playing, wonderful spiritual feel. The producers of the new Dennis Wilson release had asked Taylor Hawkins to sing on the track, and, by instinctive 'feel', finish the song. He had done an amazing job. Taylor had a feeling we could contribute, so he sent me a ProTools session of it. If you were a fan of the Beach Boys, you'll remember Dennis was not known as the principal songwriter, and was regarded by many as just a band member who was carried along. But, of all of the band, it was only Dennis who actually led the life of a surfer, and as time went on, it became obvious that he had a lot to say. He came into his own as a writer, and is now regarded by many as truly at the heart of what the Beach Boys were, and are, in the history of Rock.

So the track arrived, and I was moved ... so much so, that it hadn't even got to the end of the first playing before I was down in the studio, playing along ... inspired. I plunged in, and did a kind of resculpting, about three days work, as perhaps you'll eventually hear - and sent back a rough mix of what I'd done. It involved mapping and singing some backing vocals for the lead vocal to bounce off, building the rhythm track with guitars, and playing a solo. I then extended the song a little, to try to make the point a little stronger, and made an ending which resolved to something very much like the opening of the track - just subtly changed. The whole track spoke to me like a poem, and seemed to be steeped in the spirit of this mysterious man, the Beach Boy Who Surfed. And I wanted to do my bit to realise it to the full. Taylor was hugely enthusiastic, and we then asked Roger to add his magic. Roger loved it too, added his voice to the harmonies, and did some nice percussion, so the whole thing now had a subtle Queen overtone. We all loved the track - and hoped that we would see it on the Dennis album.

Sadly, we then found out that the producers of the album had gone ahead and compiled the album without waiting for us. I think there is some plan to issue it as a download, but obviously, having put so much love into it, we were a little disappointed, Taylor and Roger and me.

But such is life. It was still a nice experience doing it. Those moments are precious, and it's a fact of life that they don't always lead to something commercially successful, or even get heard. It's the moments of creative joy which matter ... and, in a way, this brought us closer to Taylor. And maybe there will yet be a good outcome.

BeachBoysCovers
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2019, 02:40:57 PM »

Cover art https://www.disquaireday.fr/produit/dennis-wilson-taylor-hawkins-brian-may-roger-taylor-holy-man-hawkins-may-taylor-wilson-version-b-w-holy-man-instrumental/

“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2019, 03:19:14 PM »

Looks like the cover to a low-budget sci-fi sound effects CD from the nineties.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2019, 04:36:37 PM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Howie Edelson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2019, 07:14:04 AM »

Via Sony/Legacy just now. . .

Dennis Wilson, Taylor Hawkins, Brian May, Roger Taylor, Holy Man (Wilson – Hawkins – May – Taylor Version) (7” Single – Previously Unreleased)

Dennis Wilson wrote and recorded “Holy Man” in 1977 during the sessions for his legendary Pacific Ocean Blue, the sole album released by The Beach Boys co-founder during his lifetime. In 2009, Taylor Hawkins of the Foo Fighters added vocals to the long-unfinished track; 10 years later, “Holy Man” receives new life with new vocals and additional instrumental backing from guitarist Brian May and drummer Roger Taylor of Queen. The single is backed with Wilson’s original instrumental version.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2019, 07:34:59 AM »

On the RSD website, it shows it will have a run of 3,000 copies:

https://recordstoreday.com/SpecialRelease/10563

I realize this thing will (hopefully) get ripped onto YouTube at some point anyway, but I'm curious if this will get a digital release at some point. While I've never been a huge RSD customer, I do get that the idea is to make these exclusive items one has to go into an actual record store to obtain. But a digital release would get this track a wider audience.

I do have to say it appears they went pretty light on the cover art budget on this thing:

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2019, 09:15:22 AM »

LOL Spot on.

I'm super stoked about this release, but geez that cover art... if they were going for a fan-art-made-in-MS-Paint CD-R bootleg look, they nailed it
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 09:16:59 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 07:32:27 PM »

I’m sorry but the version that’s on the 2008 POB/Bambu is perfection. It’s not broken, don’t fix.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:32:54 PM by feelintheflows » Logged
Crack Smokerson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2019, 10:38:45 AM »

Anybody have a chance to hear this yet? I know it's still early but some of you gotta have that early access. I'm gonna go try to see if my record shop will hide one for me.

The poster formerly known as stack-o-tracks
Jimmy James
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2019, 03:53:45 AM »

I got the last copy in a store in my hometown. As the city I'm living in didn't have it so I drove 20 minutes to my town. And boom!

It starts off sounding like the POB Taylor track, and then boom you get the Queen elements which I like. It's pretty cool hearing a Dennis Wilson song Queen styles.

Also, as for the art work it was actually done by Brian May as it says on the back. At first I was like blah, but the fact he's a physicist, and well the track's title, I just like it even more now.

I'm hoping for a digital copy as I want to have this on my work.

Anyhow, if you can get a copy I'd recommend it.

Love the track. Too bad we had to wait 10 years.

5 out of 5, baby!
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx