gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:47:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Interesting anecdote about Beach Boys '71 tour  (Read 3732 times)
thelonelysea
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: April 07, 2019, 08:00:26 PM »

I search "Brian Wilson" on Twitter sometimes to find fellow fans, and today I ran into a guy who attended one of their shows in 1971. He seemed to have a good memory of a moment when Brian refused to go onstage and even tried to help calm him down. I thought it was interesting, and maybe the fine people of SmileySmile can compare notes.

Thread: https://twitter.com/popasart/status/1114535794847506432

Full text:
Backstage Pass, Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, Saturday, February 20, 1971
BEACH BOYS

The Beach Boys put on a good show. But here’s the thing: Brian Wilson refused to go on stage. It was crazy. I was standing near the band as they were about to go on, and suddenly Brian announced he wasn’t going to do it. They begged. They cajoled. Brian Wilson’s issue was that he thought he looked fat and was self-conscious about being seen by the fans. At this point I took off my coat and offered it to him, thinking he could cover up his slight paunch. He tried it on but was dissatisfied with how it looked. The Beach Boys manager and a couple of the band members then hatched a plot. They would lure Brian Wilson out behind the back curtain and then suddenly open the curtain. As soon as the fans saw him, he would be trapped and have to stay out and play. The manager manages to lure Brian Wilson out behind the back curtain. They get ready to open the curtain, and I get ready to get this killer photo of Brian’s reaction. Then Brian looked over, saw my camera and ran for the dressing room. He did not return. Afterwards I went back to the dressing room and talked with Brian. He was shy and hesitant but quite nice. What a night!

All the trickery designed to get Brian to play always makes me a little mad. Still, this sounds pretty on the money.
beachcat
Smiley Smile Associate

Gen X'er "Living in the Past"

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2019, 08:22:20 PM »

Thanks for the story, thelonelysea! I don't doubt that the events unfolded that way!

"Star bright, star light,
Make this wish come true tonight..."
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2019, 01:18:13 PM »

Probably a true story as the review of the show mentioned he was in the venue that night but never took the stage
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2019, 06:25:45 PM »

I attended the 1971 Carnegie Hall Show. There was some kind of rumbling going on that Brian was there and that he was backstage and was going to take the stage and sing one song with the group. It never happened and we never found out that he was really even there. I can tell you this, it would have been one long, long round of applause if he had. 

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2019, 06:38:27 PM »

I attended the 1971 Carnegie Hall Show. There was some kind of rumbling going on that Brian was there and that he was backstage and was going to take the stage and sing one song with the group. It never happened and we never found out that he was really even there. I can tell you this, it would have been one long, long round of applause if he had. 

OSD,  since you were there at the time, what are your recollections about what you knew, and what fans in general knew about Brian's condition at the time?

I always wonder what info was public, what info was even speculated, and what was completely covered up and unknown way back when.

And kudos to the original poster, this is very fascinating info.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2019, 08:33:56 PM »

Actually a good thread on the CH concert by Ray Lawlor below....

https://brianwilson.websitetoolbox.com/post/beach-boys-at-carnegie-hall-feb-24-1971-the-view-from-row-3-7829793?&trail=15

A great memory from Ray later in the thread...

‘During the second half they playedGod Only Knows and Carl started introducing Surf's Up. Some guy yelled out " where's Brian ? " And Dennis gave ,in my opinion , the best answer ever : " Brian's in this song ".’
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2019, 03:50:07 AM »

Brian often attended the California shows in the 66 to 75 period but only took the stage at those shows twice (in December 71 and April 73). He did not travel to New York for the Carnegie Hall show.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2019, 05:45:24 AM »

Well there were those whisky shows in 1970  😎

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2019, 04:47:35 AM »

Ah yes I’m leaving out his 1970 California appearances
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2019, 10:37:44 AM »

A great memory from Ray later in the thread...

‘During the second half they playedGod Only Knows and Carl started introducing Surf's Up. Some guy yelled out " where's Brian ? " And Dennis gave ,in my opinion , the best answer ever : " Brian's in this song ".’

I love that.
PetSmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2019, 03:21:42 PM »

Anyone know if there are any Brian Wilson lead vocals from the 1970 California Whisky shows, or any 1968-72 live appearances where he sings?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 03:58:12 PM by PetSmile » Logged

"Join the young and often spring you gave" - Surf's Up (BW/VDP)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2019, 08:03:46 AM »

As I recall, there's a really murky audience recording from the Seattle 1970 show with Brian where he sings stuff like "Do It Again."

There's an equally murky recording of a 1990 Ontario show where Mike is out and Al sings Mike's leads. Would love to have a good-sounding version of that one.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2019, 11:07:21 AM »

I have the Seattle show and it is pretty good imho. No tape of the whiskey with Brian makes the rounds but I’m surprised they didn’t tape it.  There is a tape of the 1971 Long Beach show
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx