gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:23:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: This Week in BB History Feb 24 to March 5  (Read 1613 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 24, 2019, 10:14:11 AM »

Mar 2 1962-The BBs played at Millikan High Auditorium in Long Beach, CA. They played prior to a Surf film by Don Brown. Dave Marks remembers playing this show-which was probably his first gig in place of Al.

March 1 and 2 1963-These are probably the dates that the BBs played at two Washington state venues owned by promoter Pat O’Day: The Spanish Castle in Des Moines, WA on a Friday and at Pat O’Day’s Party Line Club in Seattle the next night. According to O’Day, Murry called him expressing interest in bringing the Boys to Seattle to provide them exposure in another West Coast market. O’Day agreed and sent Murry round-trip airfare tickets at $110 apiece. The Spanish Castle held 2,000, but less than 300 people showed. Attendance the following night at the 200-seat Party Line was also light.
Mar 4 1963-The BBs took part in Jan and Dean’s sessions for Surfin and Surfin Safari.  The next day Brian held a Honey’s session for Shoot the Curl and Surfin Down the Swanee

Feb 28 1964-The BBs played an afternoon show at Cupertino HS, Cupertino, CA without Brian.  The big man joined them, however, for an evening show at Santa Clara Fairgrounds in San Jose, CA with the Rip Chords, the Dartells, The Surfaris, Bruce (Johnston) and Terry (Melcher), Chris Crosby, Ramona King and The Preps

Mar 3 1964-The BBs recorded the German version of In My Room. Two days later Brian produced Sacramento and Just the Way I Feel for his sometime co-writer Gary Usher.  During this same period, the BBs taped the so-called “Lost Concert”, which was to be shown in movie theaters with footage of Leslie Gore and concert footage of the Beatles filmed in Washington DC in February. Keith Badman wrote in his book that the BBs segment was taped on March 14 but newspapers from March 10 state that it was taped “Last Week”.  The footage was called “Lost” because after airing in 1964 it sat in a vault for many years till finally being released on VHS in the 90s.

Feb 26 1965-The BBs (with Glen Campbell) played the San Jose Civic Auditorium-with the Beau Brummels, Paul Revere & the Raiders, the Tikis and the Preps. The next day they played two shows at the Civic Auditorium, Sacramento (With the Marauders and Paul Revere and the Raiders). The second show ended early when fans rushed the stage. March 3 and 4 1965-The BBs worked on
Help Me Rhonda-the infamous “Murry tapes” may come from the March 3 vocal session

Mar 3 1966-The BBs worked on vocals for Wouldn’t It Be Nice at Columbia. They also held a session at Western that day to work on Good Vibrations (overdubs and vocals by Brian and Carl on the first version), Wouldn’t It Be Nice and I Know There’s An Answer.  In the midst of finishing work on Pet Sounds, the Beach Boys then flew to Oregon for a short college tour.  In addition to Lynda Jardine, William Morris agent Pete Goldman, road manager Richard Duryea and Roy Hatfield, the group were accompanied by Los Angeles Times reporter Art Seidenbaum who was gathering material for a three-part profile of the band.  He reported that the group flew from Los Angeles to Portland and then rented cars for the drive to Corvallis to play at the State University of Oregon on March 4 with Noel Harrison (son of Rex), the Heirs and Critters. The next day they played the University of Oregon in Eugene and then finished the tour at Southern Oregon State College in Ashland, OR on March 6, 1966.

Feb 24 and 26 1967-The BBs worked on Heroes and Villains at Columbia-but the tapes to these sessions are apparently lost. On the latter date at least two BBs (Carl and Bruce) attended the Teen Screen Magazine Awards at the Hollywood Palladium-to receive an award for Record of the Year: Good Vibrations from Billy Hinsche. Feb 27 to March 2 1967-Western Recorders-The BBs held various sessions each day to try and finish Heroes and Villains.  The March 2 tape is lost.  March 3 1967-A session was held by Carl at Sound Recorders to work on his first song: Tones - Tune X

Feb 28 1968-Mike Love arrived in India to study with the Maharishi and stayed till at least March 16.  In his absence the BBs worked on Little Bird on Feb 29 1968.
Feb 25 1969-The BBs worked on the B-Side Celebrate the News at Sunset Sound
Feb 28 1969-The BBs appeared for the second time on ABC TV-The Joey Bishop Show with Richard Crenna, Lainie Kazan and Shelly Berman. The group sang their new single I Can Hear Music.  Mar 3 1969-The BBs returned to Sunset Sound to add a Moog overdub to Celebrate the News. Two days later they began reworking Brian’s Sail Plane Song into Loop De Loop

Feb 26-28 and Mar 1 1970-The BBs played a short tour with Paul Revere and the Raiders with Brian replacing an ill Mike Love: They played at Gonzaga University, Spokane, WA (26), Queen Eliizabeth Theater, Vancouver (27-2 shows), Opera House, Seattle (28- 2 shows) and Civic Auditorium, Portland, OR (1- Two shows).  I have yet to find a photo of Brian from this tour-but in my book I reprinted photos of the other BBs at Gonzaga.  An audio tape of the February 28 show makes the rounds-I’d pay money for a sonic upgrade if Boyd and Linnet have one in the vaults. I happen to quite like this performance, though Jeanine Gressel of the Seattle Times was unimpressed.  She argued that the Beach Boys’ problems were “entirely due to their performance.  For a group that has traded on their harmonic blend, they certainly didn’t live up to past achievements in that area.  The harmony was sloppy and often out of tune…True Mike Love, a regular member of the group, was absent.  Love was replaced by Brian Wilson, who hadn’t been with them in performance for five years.  But excuses are not allowed to professionals. Besides, the trouble didn’t seem to lie in Brian Wilson’s work at all, but was rather an overall sloppiness that seemed to infect the entire group.”

Feb 24 1971-The BBs played their famous first show at Carnegie Hall, NY-which I cover at length in my book with Jon-including extensive comments by the promoter of the show Chip Rachlin-who then became their agent (till 1978). After the show the group was interviewed for Crawdaddy Magazine.  The group then headed to Ohio to appear at the Agora in Columbus on Feb 25 1971. When they came back to NY around musician David Goldberg interviewed them at the Chelsea Hotel, New York, NY.  The tape is owned by Brother Records and a portion of the film appeared in the DVD release Do It Again in 2012.  The next night (Feb 28 1971) they played the Symphony Hall, Boston-with Seals and Croft. Charles Giuliano of the Boston Herald declared “the Beach Boys, minus leader Brian Wilson, produced a masterful concert of more than two hours…and a smashing success on every level…For me the best moment was when Bruce Johnston offered a solo of ‘Tears in the Morning,’ from Sunflower…He followed it with a fine rendering of Elton John’s ‘My Song.’  I could have enjoyed an entire evening of Bruce Johnston and his piano.” Giuliano noted that the crowd was resistant to the group’s determination to play newer material.  Whenever a song ended, there were screams from all over the hall for “Good Vibrations,” and “I Get Around.”  The Beach Boys refused to play these songs till the end of the show.  Bruce yelled to the crowd at one point “This isn’t a rock and roll revival, so cool it.”

Dave Marks made a surprise app that night with them. He also accompanied them back to NYC the next day to attend their taping of the David Frost TV Show on March 1 1971-where they performed Wouldn’t It Be Nice and Cool, Cool Water. This Frost appearance survived the years and portions have been used in various documentaries (by the way Marks did not perform with them-he just watched from the audience).

Feb 24 1972-The BBs were in the Netherlands to appear on the Top Pop TV Show in Amsterdam-Although Keith Badman stated that they played Marcella, they probably performed You Need A Mess of Help instead.  The next day they played the Grand Gala du Disque at the Congres Hall, Amsterdam with Brass United, Gene Pitney, Roy Black, Middle of the Road, Peret, Helen Reddy, Charles Aznavour, the New Seekers, Gilbert O’Sullivan, Rod McKuen, the Bee Gees, Johnny Cash and John Woodhouse. This entire concert was filmed and televised as well as being simulcast on radio. The Beach Boys performed “Heroes and Villains”, “Sloop John B”, “Surf’s Up” and “Student Demonstration Time.”
Feb 28 1972-At a Press Conference in London, Carl and Dennis announced that Ricky Fataar and Blondie Chaplin would now be members of the BBs. They then returned to LA

Mar 2 1974-Brian worked on Shortening Bread at Brother Studios. Three days later Dennis held a session for String Bass Song. Feb 25 1977-Brian worked on It’s Over Now and Deep Purple. Mar 3 1977-Dennis worked on Love Remember Me.

Feb 26 1978-The BBs began their infamous New Zealand-Australia tour (discussed at length in my book with Jon) at Western Springs Stadium in Auckland, NZ.  Phil Gifford of the Auckland Star was troubled by the appearance of Brian.  Gifford noted that “Wilson sat at a white grand piano gnawing the fingernails on his left hand while he absently picked at the keyboard with his right…No matter how the others tried to encourage Brian to react (Love introduced him as ‘The Big B’ before a sad attempt by Brian-whose voice seems completely shot-to take a lead vocal) he sat stolidly at the piano, a stranger to his own music…Some must have wondered as I did, whether it’s fair to a man or his audience to use a massive outdoor concert as some form of therapy.” Feb 28 1978- The BBs played at the Queen Elizabeth Stadium in Christchurch, NZ-the show was filmed by New Zealand TV- and broadcast once. 

Mar 2 1978-The BBs held a Press Conference in Sydney-Brian left after 10 minutes. Mar 3-5 1978 the BBs played five shows at Festival Hall, Brisbane. Lindsay Scott of the Sydney Herald noted that the crowd at the Saturday show, “aged between 10 and 50 started dancing from the first song and shaking the hall’s foundations by the encore…From the crunching beat of Do It Again to the gentle harmonies of In My Room and the sing along of Good Vibrations, the Beach Boys provided an exhilarating trip down memory lane in 25 songs.”

Mar 1-4 1979-The BBs played four nights of concerts at Radio City in NY with Brian only on first night.  As noted in my book, Richard Forlenza of NY Rocker, who attended the second night, noted, “The band seemed constricted, as if the slightest bit of spontaneity would send the whole structure tumbling.  Only Dennis could be counted on for an occasional surprise, holding up the show so he could change his shoes, placing a Heineken bottle on the grand piano when the pianist began the Bach intro to ‘Lady Lynda,’ walking offstage for the performance of the discofied ‘Here Comes the Night.’ I sensed that Dennis is perhaps not all that happy with everything the band does, but his solid 4/4 drumming and spirited vocal on ‘Angel Come Home’ were the highlights of the show for me.”

Feb 24 1980 the BBs played at Wings Stadium, Kalamazoo, MI and then did a residency at the Cleveland Palace Theater from February 26 to March 2 with Glenn Super. Bruno Bornino of the Cleveland Press commented, "The Beach Boys not only delivered, but got stronger with each song.  By the time the band completed the last song-'Fun, Fun, Fun'-the fans were standing on chairs, climbing on stage and getting crazy...And the Beach Boys do nothing but hits.  They don't miss too many either...All in all it was a great night and shouldn't be missed."

Feb 23-25 1982 the BBs were at Harrah’s Lake Tahoe. The next night they played the Community Center in Tucson, AZ and then appeared at Compton Terrace in Tempe, AZ on Feb 27-with Johnny and the Leisure Suits and Jonathan Brandmeier). The tour ended on Feb 28 at New Mexico State University, Las Cruces.  Carl was not in the band and as we all know this was something of a low point for the band-concerts were very hit or miss-and you never knew what shape Brian or Dennis were going to be in or whether a Wilson would even be present. Michelle Stephens of the Round Up commented, "One couldn't help but realize that the Beach Boys are getting old.  It was very noticeable, especially with Brian Wilson, who never seemed to move except on or off stage and to puff a cigarette.  He seemed to choke out the lyrics to 'Good Vibrations.' All of their songs were several years old-nothing new...They're burnt out."

Feb 25 1983 the BBs played the NBC Arena in Honolulu. An already vastly slimmed down Brian was there for his first gig since hooking up with Landy.  He also joined them at the War Memorial Football Stadium in Maui on February 27.
Feb 28 1984-The BBs appeared on the Grammy Awards-to sing “Good Vibrations” with Brian. Mar 3 1984-the BBs played the Reunion Arena in Dallas for a March of Dimes Benefit with Lynn Anderson.

Feb 25 1987- Brian presents on the Grammy Awards at the Shrine Auditorium in LA in white Tux and tails.  Feb 27 1987-Brian, Al, Bruce and Mike record vocals for the Wipe Out single at Sound Solutions-produced at last minute by Gary Usher. Carl seems to have boycotted this session (or maybe he was just busy-but he also declined to participate in the video-so one has to ask if he really didn’t want to record this at all). Brian and Gary Usher worked on Let’s Go To Heaven In My Car the next day at One to One Studios.  I think I’ll stop here.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2019, 10:36:10 AM »

Mar 3 1964-The BBs recorded the German version of In My Room. Two days later Brian produced Sacramento and Just the Way I Feel for his sometime co-writer Gary Usher.  During this same period, the BBs taped the so-called “Lost Concert”, which was to be shown in movie theaters with footage of Leslie Gore and concert footage of the Beatles filmed in Washington DC in February. Keith Badman wrote in his book that the BBs segment was taped on March 14 but newspapers from March 10 state that it was taped “Last Week”.  The footage was called “Lost” because after airing in 1964 it sat in a vault for many years till finally being released on VHS in the 90s.

I hope we will get the whole concert at one day, including "Monster mash".

Feb 24 1972-The BBs were in the Netherlands to appear on the Top Pop TV Show in Amsterdam-Although Keith Badman stated that they played Marcella, they probably performed You Need A Mess of Help instead.  The next day they played the Grand Gala du Disque at the Congres Hall, Amsterdam with Brass United, Gene Pitney, Roy Black, Middle of the Road, Peret, Helen Reddy, Charles Aznavour, the New Seekers, Gilbert O’Sullivan, Rod McKuen, the Bee Gees, Johnny Cash and John Woodhouse. This entire concert was filmed and televised as well as being simulcast on radio. The Beach Boys performed “Heroes and Villains”, “Sloop John B”, “Surf’s Up” and “Student Demonstration Time.”

Here's Johnny Cash's show on Feb. 26th (according to the user) in Amsterdam which was broadcasted on radio.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMNSfUIF3MQ

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2019, 11:47:07 AM »

It was 100% February 25-I've done the research.  cool.  I talked to Billy Hinsche, who performed with the BBs at that, and he said that he didn't meet Cash-I think they kept all the acts pretty sequestered from each other. 
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:41:21 AM »

Feb 28 1964-The BBs played an afternoon show at Cupertino HS, Cupertino, CA without Brian.  The big man joined them, however, for an evening show at Santa Clara Fairgrounds in San Jose, CA with the Rip Chords, the Dartells, The Surfaris, Bruce (Johnston) and Terry (Melcher), Chris Crosby, Ramona King and The Preps

Ever stumble across any set lists for Bruce and Terry shows? I know they did a couple of shows in Hawaii with The Beach Boys as well. I don't assume their touring history is overly large. I think I read some where that Terry wasn't particularly found of performing live.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2019, 02:20:06 PM »

I may have a review of the 1964 Hawaii shows but I’ll have to look and see if the reviewer mentioned them. A lot of 1960s reviews are not great
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx