gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:13:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: So there is a 2006 version of "She Believes In Love Again" by Bruce Johnston...  (Read 3503 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 16, 2019, 08:47:52 PM »

There is a solo version of "She Believes In Love Again" by Bruce Johnson and I have it on an official CD apparently. So I have this CD entitled The Friday Music 2007 Sampler with some random stuff on there. Randy Bachman, The Guess Who and others. And there at track 8 is "She Believes In Love Again" by ol' Brucie. So obviously upon seeing this listed I wonder if it's actually a solo recording or just a sloppy job on info for the compilation back cover. So I listen and it is definitely a different version. I can't say if it's the same version I listened to that was included in a 2009 (?) interview with Bruce. But regardless, the track has been released on this sampler, which was probably a promotional thing. Oh yeah, the notes with track said something like "teaser track for upcoming release" or something like that. So the question is, was Bruce planning on putting out some kind of solo album or compilation or something in 2007? Or perhaps this was recorded in 2005 or early 2006 for Songs from Here & Back cuz maybe he was gonna get a solo track on their along with Brian, Mike and Al? Who knows. Thinking about it now, it is odd he didn't get a track on there. I know he's not a founding member, but no offense to David Marks, Bruce seems to be a more "core" member, as it never doubted that he would be on the 2012 version of "Do It Again" while Dave was apparently forgotten at first, and brought on later. Maybe he just had this laying around? Though that wouldn't make sense if it was being touted as part of some new upcoming release, right? I just feel like Bruce hasn't seemed to want to record and/or get his music out there since, gosh...maybe the late '80s, so I just wonder why this was ever recorded. And it's not a rush job either. It sounds like a fully thought-out recording.  It's a shame Bruce doesn't come to this board as I'm sure he would probably be interested to know that this is out there, as I assume he may not know that.

Anyways, I'd say that this version is MUCH, MUCH better than the version on the '85 album. This one is more piano based and much less '80s hair band power ballad. Is it worth more than a listen? Meh. I don't know. Give me time to decide that.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2019, 09:43:14 PM by Jim V. » Logged
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2019, 09:09:15 PM »

....and I have it on an official CD apparently. So I have this CD entitled The Friday Music 2007 Sampler with some random stuff on there. Randy Bachman, The Guess Who and others. And there at track 8 is "She Believes In Love Again" by ol' Brucie. So obviously upon seeing this listed I wonder if it's actually a solo recording or just a sloppy job on info for the compilation back cover. So I listen and it is definitely a different version. I can't say if it's the same version I listened to that was included in a 2009 (?) interview with Bruce. But regardless, the track has been released on this sampler, which was probably a promotional thing. Oh yeah, the notes with track said something like "teaser track for upcoming release" or something like that. So the question is, was Bruce planning on putting out some kind of solo album or compilation or something in 2007? Or perhaps this was recorded for Songs From Here & Back cuz maybe he was gonna get a solo track on their along with Brian, Mike and Al? Who knows. Thinking about it now, it is odd he didn't get a track on there. I know he's not a founding member, but no offense to David Marks, Bruce seems to be a more "core" member, as it never doubted that he would be on the 2012 version of "Do It Again" while Dave was apparently forgotten at first, and brought on later. It's a shame Bruce doesn't come to this board as I'm sure he would probably be interested to know that this is out there, as I assume he may not know that.

Anyways, I'd say that this version is MUCH, MUCH better than the version on the '85 album. This one is more piano based and much less '80s hair band power ballad. Is it worth more than a listen? Meh. I don't know. Give me time to decide that.

That's awesome. I totally want to hear it. I think it's an underrated track and it's really surprising that Bruce, for whatever reason, just seem to have no motivation to put this stuff out. There are people who want to hear it after all!

On the 1985 version, there's a little bit at the end of the bridge that seems to be a small piece of stolen/lifed from the end of the bridge of "Full Sail", I wonder if that's still a part of this version? Or if that was something that Carl contributed to the original version and was written out of the rerecording.
delsboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2019, 06:39:22 AM »

Wow, that's a cool find. Any chance you could share that tune via mp3?
Dave D
davedipetro@hotmail.com
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2019, 10:38:51 AM »

I wonder if this version is the same version that was considered for TWGMTR
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 11:18:22 AM »

I wonder if this version is the same version that was considered for TWGMTR

I think it would definitely make sense as Mike had brought in his already record "Daybreak Over The Ocean" and Al brought his "Waves of Love" which I'm assuming at the least would've included the (obviously) already recorded Carl vocal. However, I do remember one of Brian's musicians mentioning the sessions before we knew much more than maybe the title song of the album mentioning that Bruce had been "working with a horn player on one of his tunes" or something like that. Though obviously than doesn't discount the fact that he may have just been overdubbing onto this recording.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2019, 01:41:13 PM »

Must have been from this project Bruce was having talks with Friday Music to release back in 2006: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=1314.0

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2019, 03:49:25 PM »

Jim, there’s an old discussion of this song that you were involved in where someone linked to a podcast that had a clip of a Bruce re-recording of the song. Do you know if that’s the same version as on your CD? http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,13332.msg287681.html#msg287681

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2019, 05:31:07 PM »

I went back to that thread recently as well Big Daddy. And I'll be real with you, I have no idea if it's the same version. I only listened to what we'll call the "interview version" once and I haven't the slightest clue. I'd suppose that this is probably the same version but really knows?

I think the thing we really need to find out is why this project got scrapped and what was gonna be on it besides of course this tune.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2019, 08:55:25 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QlSxbOAwWqQ

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2019, 10:38:15 AM »

I like it, I do miss Carl's vocal though.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2019, 03:36:31 PM »

It's nice enough but my favorite part of the song was always Carl's vocals.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx