gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 11:36:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Graham Nash bought Hawaii property instead of one of the BB...  (Read 4038 times)
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 13, 2019, 11:37:45 AM »

I was reading Graham Nash's biography "Wild Tales" (pretty good read if anyones interested in him) and he says he was looking for a property in hawaii (Kauai) and he found one he loved but that "one of the beach boys" was interested in it, so he bought it up before they could.

Does anyone know who it was? Did any of the BB own property in Hawaii? I know Brian lived there for a while....
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2019, 11:59:00 AM »

Mike and Steve Love owned this place apparently.

https://www.homeaway.com/vacation-rental/p1311675vb

I do recall Bruce writing years ago that they used to rehearse in Hawaii before that years touring began. This might be the place.
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2019, 11:49:23 AM »

Interesting. I got to spend a week in Nash's house on Weke Road near Waioli Beach Park, Hanalei Bay in the late 90s - it was stunning home and the influence of it haunts me today as I am renovating and fitting out my new property where there will be some pretty strong Nash house influences. At the time I was working as a senior executive of a large surfwear company and we were holding a global design conference and wanted to get everybody in the groove to be creative so we rented three houses on the beach front at Hanalei Bay. Having flown in from Australia to Oahu and then island hoped to Kauai we arrived to find our surfboards still on Oahu so we had to kill time waiting for the previous tenant to vacate the Nash house so we just hung around the property and beach and eventually got chatting to the guy and his family that were renting it, a really nice guy called Matt who told us the trick to get access to the locked cupboard that held Nash's music collection. On getting into the property somebody was looking at the visitors book and the last entry was a drawing of the Simpsons naked and waving from a bathtub ... yep ... Matt was Matt Groening ... and the previous visitor was David Crosby with the Nashs. The place has been sold now and no longer for rent. Oh yeah ... the music collection was great and mostly CSN ... it was pretty special to sit on the lanai staring across the vast manicured lawn with ebony dolphins jumping out of it while watching waves pour across Hanalei Point and downing a beer and listening to Suite Judy Blue Eyes. Hanalei Bay is easily one of the most beautiful places on the planet!

UPDATE: Having written the above I did a quick google and came up with the following info - interestingly the article says the Nash's built the house and I recall a well known Hawaiian surfer telling us about the hurricane that wiped out Hanalei Bay a few years beforehand and that he and his friends experienced with tripping on LSD so maybe it was a rebuild. BIZARRE! Anyhow, so maybe not the property one of the Beach Boys was looking at unless they were looking at the land.

Here's the link: http://islandermagazinehawaii.com/nash.html

« Last Edit: February 14, 2019, 12:26:12 PM by TonyW » Logged
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2019, 11:58:31 AM »

Interesting. I got to spend a week in Nash's house on Weke Road near Waioli Beach Park, Hanalei Bay in the late 90s - it was stunning home and the influence of it haunts me today as I am renovating and fitting out my new property where there will be some pretty strong Nash house influences. At the time I was working as a senior executive of a large surfwear company and we were holding a global design conference and wanted to get everybody in the groove to be creative so we rented three houses on the beach front at Hanalei Bay. Having flown in from Australia to Oahu and then island hoped to Kauai we arrived to find our surfboards still on Oahu so we had to kill time waiting for the previous tenant to vacate the Nash house so we just hung around the property and beach and eventually got chatting to the guy and his family that were renting it, a really nice guy called Matt who told us the trick to get access to the locked cupboard that held Nash's music collection. On getting into the property somebody was looking at the visitors book and the last entry was a drawing of the Simpsons naked and waving from a bathtub ... yep ... Matt was Matt Groening ... and the previous visitor was David Crosby with the Nashs. The place has been sold now and no longer for rent. Oh yeah ... the music collection was great and mostly CSN ... it was pretty special to sit on the lanai staring across the vast manicured lawn with ebony dolphins jumping out of it while watching waves pour across Hanalei Point and downing a beer and listening to Suite Judy Blue Eyes. Hanalei Bay is easily one of the most beautiful places on the planet!

UPDATE: Having written the above I did a quick google and came up with the following info - interestingly the article says the Nash's built the house and I recall a well known Hawaiian surfer telling us about the hurricane that wiped out Hanalei Bay a few years beforehand and that he and his friends experienced with tripping on LSD so maybe it was a rebuild. BIZARRE! Anyhow, so maybe not the property one of the Beach Boys was looking at unless they were looking at the land.

Here's the link: http://islandermagazinehawaii.com/nash.html

Great story! Thank's for sharing.

If I recall, the Nash's spent a lot of time there, and I think, had a house in Encino as well. I wonder did they sell as a result of the divorce or sometime before.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2019, 04:53:53 PM »

Could it be this one?

Steve Love, August 2015 wrote:

I was. The best investment I ever made was the beach house on Hanalei Bay on the north shore of Kauai. I purchased it in 1978 for $620,000, lost it in foreclosure in 1986 because the Beach Boys couldn’t be persuaded to help me save the property. As was my prerogative, I transferred investment funds from CA to Hawaii because that was the new thrust of my investment program for the BB and myself. I gave the Boys a 50% constructive interest in the spectacular property referred to as HBBH. That property is worth $25 million in today’s market. The opportunity loss they and I suffered I calculate to be $12.5 million. Hassling me over this investment was the biggest business blunder in the group’s history.
As a business mogul whose name escapes me once said: “People disappoint.”

Steve Love writing again, December 2015:

Since you mentioned “that beach house,” I would like to say here what I told the publisher of Mike’s forthcoming autobiography, namely that the Beach Boys made the biggest business blunder of their long career hassling me about the investment I made in the Kauai beach house with the proceeds of the sale of the California ranch property known as the Spaulding Ranch. By written agreement(s) between the parties, I was the general partner, i.e., control person, with respect to the handling of all investment funds for a period of no less than 20 years. Since the spectacular beachfront estate on Hanalei Bay is worth $25 million in today’s market, the BB suffered an opportunity loss in the multi-million$. When I came out on the road to see the band members/investors in the summer of 1985 to ask for some emergency financing in order to stave off the foreclosure proceeding initiated by the then richest man in Hawaii, the late Harry Weinberg, Mike was the only principal willing to sign the commitment letter I prepared. Mike was the only one in the group to see the skyrocketing potential of the real estate gem I had invested in. I give him kudos for that. Aloha.

Does it sound like the same real estate?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx