gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:38:19 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: “A Postcard from California” Reissues  (Read 16735 times)
Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2021, 02:32:17 AM »

Be nice to get a vinyl copy at least. The RSD one never seemed to make it outside the US.

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2021, 08:02:05 AM »

Good God, all this time and they couldn't muster some new bonus tracks? They literally did what I guessed, which was a straight reissue with a *37th* mix of "Waves of Love."

Al has a hundred unreleased songs; he couldn't add something to this?

I already own three copies of this album, and I'd actually buy a fourth if he did a truly "Deluxe" version. I have an idea for like ten appropriate bonus tracks *without* having any access to what he might have in his vaults.

This is literally a "Here's Why You Don't Need to Buy This" press release. I appreciate the heads-up I guess.

Don't get me wrong; I'm all for keeping this in print. But I'm *stunned* UMe didn't *demand* some new tracks to goose sales.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2021, 08:13:56 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2021, 08:12:31 AM »

It is encouraging that UMe picked this up - perhaps that is why nothing really new was added to this: Al mentioned that he'd have new music out "next year" (hopefully this quote was from last year). Perhaps UMe is also interested in releasing another Al solo record after this one? Then again, knowing how Al spills the beans on projects, if there was another solo album to be released by UMe I am sure he would've leaked the track listing at this point Grin

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2021, 08:19:23 AM »

It is encouraging that UMe picked this up - perhaps that is why nothing really new was added to this: Al mentioned that he'd have new music out "next year" (hopefully this quote was from last year). Perhaps UMe is also interested in releasing another Al solo record after this one? Then again, knowing how Al spills the beans on projects, if there was another solo album to be released by UMe I am sure he would've leaked the track listing at this point Grin

Anything is possible. But they are adding one new mix; so they aren't opposed to new content. Why not at least include some alternates of some of the other tracks? There are Brian vocals in existence for the title track, as well as an all-Al version. There are alternate mixes/versions/takes on a bunch of those songs.

If they were just doing a quick relaunch of the thing to get it on digital streaming platforms, that would be one thing. But UMe is going to be pressing physical copies, etc. I would imagine fans that already own it outnumber the number of potential first-time purchasers, so I don't know why UMe wouldn't want like five *new* bonus tracks at least. It wouldn't require some huge budget; it would be old pre-existing stuff, and if they *are* interested in a truly "new" album from Al later on, they could just put alternates on the "Postcards" reissue to save any "new" stuff.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
FreakySmiley
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2021, 08:57:44 AM »

I swear I thought that "east coast mix" comment was a joke. Then I read the actual press release. What a guy; at least Al's consistent, I guess LOL
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2021, 03:25:06 PM »

So, is this "west coast mix" a new mix? It says it's remastered so it's perhaps not new? And what on earth could be the east coast mix? Perhaps what are referred to as "mixes" might be different versions. One version would be the version with the saxophone up front and the other would be the more organ-led version?

I don't know.

Gosh, I love Al.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2021, 11:14:25 PM »

Al Jardine has a new single coming out on Friday February 12th just in time for Valentine’s Day!  “Waves of Love 2.0,” originally released as a bonus track on A Postcard from California, has been re-recorded by Al’s longtime producer and songwriting collaborator Larry Dvoskin from New York.  The new East Coast mix features classic Beach Boys-sounding vocal dit-dits and was also one of Al’s last vocal collaborations with Carl Wilson.  Says Al, “It’s exciting to share this great East Coast version of ‘Waves of Love’ with my fans.  Larry Dvoskin’s impeccable dit-dits do me proud and there will also be a new West Coast version on my soon to be re-released solo album A Postcard from California!” Look for a limited-edition autographed CD single, which will also include a bonus track, “Jenny Clover,” about a beautiful little milk cow cared for by The Jardines and written by Al, his wife Mary Ann and Larry Dvoskin, who also produced the song.  Details on how to pre-order coming soon!

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: February 04, 2021, 11:19:13 PM »

These are probably two of the songs Larry Dvoskin had on his SoundCloud page a while back. 

Hilariously,  neither of these tracks will be on the Postcards reissue.  Sounds like "Jenny Clover" will only be on this physical CD single? 

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2021, 02:28:41 AM »

If it hasn't already happened, Al should record some of his storyteller shows as soon as it is possible to hold them again, and release an album of these. Or maybe record them as an in studio radio performance. If no major label is interested, maybe he can release it through his website. Those shows, from what I've seen and heard on youtube, deserve to be released. Especially those bare arrangements of the songs actually present something new. I don't know if the songs have ever been presented that way. Maybe Hawaii '67.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 02:29:38 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2021, 06:35:32 AM »

Sounds like "Jenny Clover" will only be on this physical CD single?  

The single is available for pre-order on download/streaming services (see https://www.amazon.com/Al-Jardine-Waves-Love-2-0/dp/B08VJ5KKSG/) and it looks like “Jenny Clover” will be included there too. Interestingly, this single appears to fall outside of Al’s deal with UMe—Amazon says that the label putting out the single is “Do What You Love Media” (Larry Dvoskin’s company).
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 06:38:29 AM by “Big Daddy” » Logged

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2021, 07:09:17 AM »

Just realized the press release blurb kind of makes it sounds like "Waves of Love" was re-recorded by Larry Dvoskin, as if Dvoskin is performing it. I'm sure this is still the same Al recording, just remixed of course, perhaps with some new overdubs.

It'll be interesting to see if either of these are any different from the versions that were up on Dvoskin's SoundCloud that a number of folks were able to grab.

I don't understand why Al and Dvoskin keep trying to push this song. It's a good song. But we're now at three going on *five* mixes of the song. It's a song from the 90s that was already released in 2012. It has had it's day.

Surely Al has recorded other songs at this studio in the last 40+ years that he could push instead?

I won't keep ranting about this. I'm like the biggest Al fan, and I *know* he's got stuff in his vaults (and we're talking clear *solo* stuff outside of any old BB stuff) that he could be putting out.

I'm waiting for the announcement that b-sides for the single will include "Loop De Loop", "Susie Cincinnati", and "PT Cruiser."
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 07:52:05 AM by HeyJude » Logged

Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2021, 11:45:38 AM »

Send a good producer to Red Barn, give em all the tapes.....and make sure to lock Al out  LOL

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2021, 11:57:43 AM »

Just realized the press release blurb kind of makes it sounds like "Waves of Love" was re-recorded by Larry Dvoskin, as if Dvoskin is performing it. I'm sure this is still the same Al recording, just remixed of course, perhaps with some new overdubs.

It'll be interesting to see if either of these are any different from the versions that were up on Dvoskin's SoundCloud that a number of folks were able to grab.

I don't understand why Al and Dvoskin keep trying to push this song. It's a good song. But we're now at three going on *five* mixes of the song. It's a song from the 90s that was already released in 2012. It has had it's day.

Surely Al has recorded other songs at this studio in the last 40+ years that he could push instead?

I won't keep ranting about this. I'm like the biggest Al fan, and I *know* he's got stuff in his vaults (and we're talking clear *solo* stuff outside of any old BB stuff) that he could be putting out.

I'm waiting for the announcement that b-sides for the single will include "Loop De Loop", "Susie Cincinnati", and "PT Cruiser."

Al has turned into SMiLE era Brian Wilson in terms of indecisiveness of choosing and settling on a final mix, and the impossibility of finally being done with a released song.

Seriously, I wonder if watching Brian go through that had some profound psychological effect on Al, or if maybe it has something more to do with just a never-ending question wanting to make the mix "perfect" perhaps due to feelings of inadequacy compared to the Wilsons. I don't mean any disrespect to Al - I can completely understand the concept of feeling like he had better make something sound GOOD when having been surrounded for decades by the towering genius of the Wilsons, but yeah this whole "Ver 2.0" thing is all a bit over-the-top and comical at this point. Along with Santa Goes to Kokomo, it's the sequel nobody ever asked for  LOL
« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 11:58:20 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2021, 01:29:16 PM »

I've never thought of Al's penchant for taking a million years to complete things (and then re-re-re-re-doing them even after they're released) as being an outgrowth of anything to do with Brian. I mean, anything is possible.

I think Al is just super-super-duper indecisive, and once he wasn't working within the framework of a BB project where *some other* person or persons were pushing the thing forward and telling him (and others) "okay, that's a wrap, you're finished!", he was left to his own devices twiddling away at projects for years and decades.

Even projects with a seeming relative sense of urgency have taken forever. Al getting his "Live in Las Vegas" late 1999 live album out before the end of 2001 was like lighting speed for him.

He talked of his solo album for a decade-plus after being squeezed out of the touring BBs in 1998, and it wasn't until 2010 that his album seemingly just kind of meandered out with little fanfare, eventually getting a stronger push in 2012.

I think when Al has someone bankrolling and running a project, he's more likely to get something done.

Considering he wasn't touring full time after 1997, and had his own lavish studio to record, he should have released like *ten* solo projects by now at least. A couple sets of his demos, some more live stuff, and at least three or four "proper" albums.

The only thing I don't know is how much he's had someone working with him trying to push him. I know he has some associates (Stevie Heger, Larry Dvoskin), but I don't know if those types of folks are really trying to pitch Al to fully produce Al for an album, to "crack the whip" a bit and get something done. Larry Dvoskin seems like a really nice guy, but he'd be doing both Al and fans a favor by not trying to *still* push "Waves of Love" after 37 years after we've all already heard it.

Remember a few years ago in an interview where Al revealed he was considering a new recording of....wait for it.... "Runaway"?!?

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2021, 01:45:26 PM »

I've never thought of Al's penchant for taking a million years to complete things (and then re-re-re-re-doing them even after they're released) as being an outgrowth of anything to do with Brian. I mean, anything is possible.

I think Al is just super-super-duper indecisive, and once he wasn't working within the framework of a BB project where *some other* person or persons were pushing the thing forward and telling him (and others) "okay, that's a wrap, you're finished!", he was left to his own devices twiddling away at projects for years and decades.

Even projects with a seeming relative sense of urgency have taken forever. Al getting his "Live in Las Vegas" late 1999 live album out before the end of 2001 was like lighting speed for him.

He talked of his solo album for a decade-plus after being squeezed out of the touring BBs in 1998, and it wasn't until 2010 that his album seemingly just kind of meandered out with little fanfare, eventually getting a stronger push in 2012.

I think when Al has someone bankrolling and running a project, he's more likely to get something done.

Considering he wasn't touring full time after 1997, and had his own lavish studio to record, he should have released like *ten* solo projects by now at least. A couple sets of his demos, some more live stuff, and at least three or four "proper" albums.

The only thing I don't know is how much he's had someone working with him trying to push him. I know he has some associates (Stevie Heger, Larry Dvoskin), but I don't know if those types of folks are really trying to pitch Al to fully produce Al for an album, to "crack the whip" a bit and get something done. Larry Dvoskin seems like a really nice guy, but he'd be doing both Al and fans a favor by not trying to *still* push "Waves of Love" after 37 years after we've all already heard it.

Remember a few years ago in an interview where Al revealed he was considering a new recording of....wait for it.... "Runaway"?!?

I guess perhaps Al quitting the band in early 1962 might be considered as evidence of indecisiveness in his personality. Although it's easy to say that in hindsight, at the time it might not have seemed like a bad idea to get out if he didn't think the band was really going to go anywhere.

Certainly I'm sure the fact that I'll has non-linear editing at his disposal makes indecision an even easier thing to happen. If he were dealing solely with tape, he might have had to make decisions without endless tweaking.

I think that being in the shadow of the Wilsons perhaps is some unconscious motivator in him trying to make things as perfect as they can be, as opposed to just letting things be.

« Last Edit: February 05, 2021, 01:46:11 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 08, 2021, 09:30:46 AM »

Pre-order for the “Waves of Love 2.0” CD single is up and is located here: https://do-what-you-love-inc.myshopify.com/products/al-jardine-waves-of-love-autographed-cd-single

Here’s a 3D rendering Al shared on social media of what the CD is going to look like: https://www.discmakers.com/MyAccount/FlashViewer/?p=Y4PVH4ZjI8R0r9nwq8dUTcW0EtqhS%2FVDX0gBXNfC%2F2k%3D&fbclid=IwAR0kMdSlvu0F9iwIT3HL7dV-RpIrbSjqm_2kWEYZNA2mpyHLwk0-OCG376E#.YCF0ay9h125

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 08, 2021, 03:21:52 PM »

wasn't there a cd of Al with his two sons that was supposed to be out 15 years ago? Seem to remember talk about that long before Postcards...

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 11, 2021, 09:03:31 PM »

Now streaming!

Waves of Love 2.0: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktfK-lb0cgs
Jenny Clover: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mwK_GXG03-M

“Waves of Love 2.0” appears to be an entirely new mix. It’s not the same version that was on Dvoskin’s Soundcloud page back in the day.

Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2021, 03:27:09 AM »

I really like Jenny Clover. Similar to if not the exact mix that was on the SoundCloud station a couple of years ago. With regards to Waves of Love I actually like the Carl Wilson prominent version better than this one. This one seems to drag a little bit maybe cuz it lacks Carl on it but I think his version sounds best. Either way glad we have somewhat new music by Al.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2021, 03:56:06 AM »

I like it, but the cliche "dit dit dit"'s on "Waves of Love" are too much for me, although in the beginning they have some very nice harmonies. I'm usually no fan of Beach Boys-soundalikes, because they mostly don't sound like the BBs.
"Jenny Glover" is really good. Although the background voices again are too much for my liking. But a very nice song and it would've been interesting to hear a Beach Boys recording of this.

Glad to see Al putting out a new song! I'm always looking forward to new material of his. "California Energy Blues" is still one of my favs.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
doc smiley
Smiley Smile Associate

Timeless pounds the livin' daylights outta trendy

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2021, 08:00:14 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy
Much, Much, better version of "Waves of Love".  stripped back from the heavy-handed, over-cooked, previous version, it now sounds like a light, poppy, love song and is not drowning in 500 redubs of odd background noise.  That's a keeper now. Miss the Carl, but it is not needed.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 08:01:31 AM by doc smiley » Logged

"A voice or a song can be so comforting to someone who really needs it."
..................................Brian Wilson, 1990
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2021, 10:45:26 AM »

This is going back a bit, but does anyone remember Al doing a song that starts off with or is titled "Down South In San Diego" or something close to that?? Whatever it was or is, it doesn't appear in any form on YT. From what I remember, it was an incredibly good song with an amazing hook.

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2021, 12:04:24 PM »

That "Where do we go from here" part reminds me of something  Undecided

It's a nice song but any song that loses a Carl Wilson vocal probably becomes about 50% as good.

Jenny Clover is really lovely. More please Al.....sometime soon I hope..
« Last Edit: February 12, 2021, 12:08:21 PM by Peadar 'Big Dinner' O'Driscoll » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2021, 01:32:55 PM »

Sounds like "Waves of Love 2.0" is literally a hybrid of the two main "versions" released back in 2012.

It sounds like it uses as the basis the "incorrect" more soundcheck-ish sounding version included on physical CD copies in 2012, as it's in the same key and seems to retain Al's lead from that version, as well as some other elements.

It has then had some of the dry, punchy production/mixing touches that we heard the "Download" version from 2012.

It also sounds like Carl has been mixed out, though it's worth noting he wasn't very audible on that soundcheck/physical CD version back in 2012 (they later isolated him much for the later "download mix").

This new "2.0" version is not the same mix as the one that was up on SoundCloud for awhile. That SoundCloud mix sounded pretty close to the the incorrect/soundcheck/physical CD mix.

I can't really say this 2.0 version sounds better or worse than the others. It's really more like "Waves of Love 4.5" or "Waves of Love 5.0".

"Jenny Clover" is fine; it's cut from the same cloth as something like "And I Always Will"; I don't think syrupy ballads like this are where Al most excels. But he sings them just fine. This mix does sounds, based only on my memory, as pretty similar and possibly identical to the mix that was up on SoundCloud for awhile.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2021, 02:10:07 PM »

This is going back a bit, but does anyone remember Al doing a song that starts off with or is titled "Down South In San Diego" or something close to that?? Whatever it was or is, it doesn't appear in any form on YT. From what I remember, it was an incredibly good song with an amazing hook.

That's an Alan Boyd (not Jardine) song. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G1PBw2xjCfs
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx