gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:48:33 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Rare 1968 footage  (Read 5630 times)
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 05, 2019, 05:14:00 PM »

I've never seen this short clip.  It is apparently the BBs and the Springfield landing in Dallas on April 16.  They'd played San Antonio and Austin the night before and were supposed to play in Little Rock that night but the gig was canceled.  It's possible they had a day off in Dallas or were just passing through. 
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2019, 05:28:49 PM »

Sorry here is a link:   https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EDZbXDPYv4
chrisb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2019, 07:14:40 AM »

Here's a bit more background to that '68 tour
https://strawberryalarmclock.com/783/touring-beach-boys-buffalo-springfield/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2019, 07:56:50 AM »

Amazing to see Neil Young so -- young!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 09:06:43 AM »

It’s a good article but as I am the guy who wrote the, as of now, definitive concerts book (with Jon Stebbins) I am obliged to point out some inaccuracies-there is no evidence they played some of those places (Oklahoma City and Montgomery). Also when the king asassination happened (April 4) the tour hadn’t begun. It was supposed to start in Nashville (not Atlanta or Alabama) the next day. The surprise for the bands was that in many urban areas people rioted in anger and as a result people were afraid to go to the venues or police created curfews-thus gigs got cancelled in places like Atlanta and Columbia sc.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2019, 09:09:00 AM »

Some shows went on after being rescheduled-like the Memphis show (where King was killed) took place at the end of the tour once order had been restored
Ram4
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2019, 09:12:49 AM »

Kind of sad to see Buffalo Springfield only a few weeks before their last show.  Note Jimmy Messina holding Winnie The Pooh.  He had replaced Bruce Palmer on bass (who had been deported).  Neil just wanted out.  Such a turbulent short lifespan for a great band. 
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2019, 09:41:23 AM »

Yes, thanks for posting that footage! It makes us wonder how much more of that random B-Roll type of footage exists and hasn't been found.

A few comments: The YouTube channel hosting it should also add the Strawberry Alarm Clock to the title of that vid. For as short of a run as they had, they were pretty visible in 1966-67-68 as a top band in the US, and a lot of people still remember that schtick they did when they destroyed a car in one of their promo videos that I think was shown on Laugh In?

Anyway, Bruce Palmer...when Ian first posted this, I watched the link on a small screen, and after the BB's come out of the plane, I saw what I thought was Bruce Palmer sitting on the tarmac goofing around...I thought, what the hell is he doing there?  LOL  Then when I watched on a full screen I saw it was a member of the Strawberry Alarm Clock clowning around with his bandmates.

Note in that same small segment on the tarmac, the big guy smoking a cig is the late Ed King, who just passed away this year. He's the guy who co-wrote Incense And Peppermints and ended up getting shafted on the credits...actually the whole story of the Strawberry Alarm Clock involves the band, who were young and naive, getting duped and swindled out of tens of thousands of dollars by varios managers, agents, etc. Crazy.

Ram4: As far as Bruce Palmer, if I'm remembering the history, it wasn't just that he got deported, but he kept getting busted for dope over and over again, and that combined with other personal issues...didn't the band basically just kick him out? He was a magnificent musician and creative soul, and Neil Young still credits him with being the true driving force of that band, but his behavior and tendency to get busted for dope and miss gigs basically sealed his fate. Am I right on that?

Edit: Wasn't there also a funny story about them trying to smuggle Bruce Palmer back into the US after one of his numerous busts by dressing him up and disguising him as a suit-and-necktie wearing business exec to avoid getting nabbed at the airport? That's the kind of thing, if true, that you wish they had taken photos.

« Last Edit: February 06, 2019, 09:44:20 AM by guitarfool2002 » Logged

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2019, 10:43:38 AM »

Speaking of rare clips, I noted this one yesterday.

Glen Campbell and the Beach Boys interview.

https://youtu.be/9KWXFqTgXf0
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2019, 10:47:41 AM »

Great find! Never saw that one before. Shame it seems to have gotten cut off from a larger segment.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Shane
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2019, 11:38:51 AM »

Wow, that's really cool.  All you ever see of Glen with the Beach Boys are just a few photographs.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2019, 12:17:11 PM »

Incredible!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2019, 02:07:53 PM »

Here are the BBs backstage at the Maurice Richard Arena on Feb 19 1965 being interviewed for the CBC show Like Young.  Very rare footage-I knew this was shot but didn't know it had survived the years.  Note that Brian had indeed been onstage the night before in Worcester-so maybe he really was sick-but more likely Glen was telling a white lie and Brian just was filling in while Glen was busy and took off as soon as Glen returned.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #13 on: February 07, 2019, 12:55:09 PM »

Very cool indeed!  Shocked

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 07, 2019, 01:45:51 PM »

Great video.  Having lived in Montreal, I really like Dennis’ snide “that’s wonderful!” when the interviewer says it’s below zero.
SBonilla
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2019, 02:40:55 PM »

Did Al not so discreetly pass Glen his response to the question that he was about to be asked about Brian?
Dave in KC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2019, 08:43:47 PM »

I've never seen this short clip.  It is apparently the BBs and the Springfield landing in Dallas on April 16.  They'd played San Antonio and Austin the night before and were supposed to play in Little Rock that night but the gig was canceled.  It's possible they had a day off in Dallas or were just passing through.  

I was at that concert in Austin and that night officially began my seeing them perform 96 times through 1998. 96 shows in 14 different states. Geographical states. Several, more than several, backstage. That's a whole different saga.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2019, 08:45:05 PM by Dave in KC » Logged
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2019, 08:39:35 AM »

Mike Love writing the setlist
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2019, 04:03:34 PM »

Very common-I have a bunch of interviews-where the reviewer notes that either Carl or mike have a set list written on their hand or arm
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 13, 2019, 01:46:35 AM »

I've never seen this short clip.  It is apparently the BBs and the Springfield landing in Dallas on April 16.  They'd played San Antonio and Austin the night before and were supposed to play in Little Rock that night but the gig was canceled.  It's possible they had a day off in Dallas or were just passing through.  

I was at that concert in Austin and that night officially began my seeing them perform 96 times through 1998. 96 shows in 14 different states. Geographical states. Several, more than several, backstage. That's a whole different saga.

Tell us about the backstage saga....  Please Dave!
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2019, 07:34:53 AM »

Very common-I have a bunch of interviews-where the reviewer notes that either Carl or mike have a set list written on their hand or arm
Yup, That's happen in THe london 1966 footage. I tried to decript the list and I putted it on setlists.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx