gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 05:34:06 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unsolved Mysteries: Dennis Wilson  (Read 2255 times)
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« on: February 04, 2019, 11:36:10 AM »

I recently saw this on YouTube. It was interesting, but certain things I never new about before. I know they got some facts wrong. They claimed Dennis came up with the name Beach Boys. Not true. But it also said Dennis had a nervous breakdown in his early 60s. Is this true? We all know Brian has had them, but never knew Dennis did. A lot of the 'mystery' surrounding his death was old news. The YouTube channel that shows this is called Mr Galikonacous. Not sure I spelled the last name right.

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2019, 12:18:48 PM »

Scott Wilson's book had a reference to Dennis being sent home from the tour during the 60s and that he was distraught. I don't know any more than that.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2019, 01:47:28 PM »

Found this, but it's from 1976:

The Get Down never heard with Murray Saul and Dennis Wilson

https://buzzardbook.wordpress.com/2008/05/12/282/

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2019, 05:49:33 AM »

It's always interesting to discover something new. After all these years of watching documentaries and reading all the books, even the ones on Dennis,  I was never aware of Dennis having nervous breakdowns. Maybe I had read it and forgot about it. 

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2019, 12:52:46 PM »

Sounds like the same video that turned up on another video streaming site that's literally just a renamed rip of the Autopsy: last hours of Dennis Wilson documentary from 2017,  only with the uploaders credits tagged onto the beginning & end.

Earlier discussion: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php?topic=24916.10

post with links to grabs from Scott's book re Dennis having breakdowns/panic attacks http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,24916.msg606781.html#msg606781

random oddity - there's contemporary news reports/obits on Dennis from '83 claiming he came up with the name Beach Boys  so that's an historical mistake.

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx