gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:01:12 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1968 Beach Boy European Tour Documentary  (Read 5481 times)
Stephen W. Desper
Honored Guest

Maintain Dynamics - Keep Peaks below 100%

View Profile WWW
« on: January 31, 2019, 07:50:23 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2k3Ob9_IzI4&feature=youtu.be
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2019, 10:00:25 PM »

Can't wait to see this, thanks for sharing Stephen.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2019, 01:50:30 AM »

Yeeessss!

Often mentioned but unseen by me until now.

Thank you SWD.
chrisb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2019, 06:06:39 AM »

Great footage of the band off duty. Including one or two unexpectedly candid shots!
Includes film of the band in Paris at the end, although they played no dates in France on this December tour.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 06:23:12 AM by chrisb » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2019, 07:39:33 AM »

"This video is not available."

Embarrassed
chrisb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2019, 07:47:26 AM »

Managed to watch it just once- and now its gone!
« Last Edit: February 01, 2019, 07:48:00 AM by chrisb » Logged
ForHerCryingSoul
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2019, 08:32:16 PM »

Did anyone download it?
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2019, 04:49:00 AM »

Rats! Watched first few minutes and was going to come back to it. Oh well

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
Crack Smokerson
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2019, 06:17:47 PM »

I hope somebody downloaded it and can repost it somewhere. Sad how quick some of the Beach Boys stuff gets deleted from there.

This wasn't the Billy Hinsche tour doc was it? I thought that one was from a few years after '68 but it's been a while....

The poster formerly known as stack-o-tracks
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2019, 07:53:02 PM »

This is undoubtedly the footage Vic kettle shot of the dec 1968 tour. He also filmed the June 1969 tour-including the Prague show. Chunks of the footage have been used in the various BBs documentaries
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2019, 10:34:50 PM »

Billy's video is from parts of the various '74 tours.
chrisb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2019, 01:50:39 AM »

If we aren’t to see this film again, and if it is of interest here, then these are my recollections from my single viewing- apologies if it’s not 100% accurate or in the wrong order.
It's December 1968 and the film starts with a BOAC plane landing at Heathrow and the sound of screaming fans ‘We want the Beach Boys’. The band disembark down the steps on to the tarmac and pose at the bottom for photos, a couple of their wives are also seen then disembarking (I'm sure I saw Annie). We see Dennis and Mike signing some autographs in the airport and then into black limos to be driven from the airport.
Once settled in their hotel we then see some rehearsal, very briefly, (mainly Dennis, shirtless) at the London Palladium, of Bluebirds Over The Mountain, their current release. A group of female fans are shown in the street mentioning thier favourite songs- several mention the latest single.
Each Beach Boy has their own featured spot in the film, and we first follow Bruce, coat over his shoulders, white trousers, walking up the steps out from the London Underground, opposite Big Ben and Parliament. Bruce’s voice-over says that he turns the corner to buy a newspaper at a newsstand and is recognised by three girls, who are then seen talking with him. He says he is polite and patient with fans, and signs autographs, but values his own time on tour. He is seen walking in Hyde Park while a group of horse riders go by and Bruce says this doesn’t happen in parks at home, and its much colder in England. He says he’d hope to live and work in England in the next year or two as he walks up into a bandstand in the Park and starts to conduct an imaginary band.
We then see the front of the Palladium at night with the Beach Boys hoarding and then see bottled drink set out on tables. In the Beach Boys dressing room we see the band getting changed into their white suits, bright coloured shirts and ties/cravats, and the general dressing room banter. The focus is on Al and we get a brief shot of a (Al’s?) backside mooning.    
There is some film of the band onstage at the Palladium, with a couple of songs dubbed over the footage
After the show we are back in the dressing room as the band change out of their stage suits. The band are seen in their underwear and Dennis (of course!) without his clothes.
The band are then seen walking along the Thames embankment, by a couple of pubs and some old town houses. They jump down onto the riverbank and get into a small rowing boat, guided by the elderly boatmen, all sit down except Dennis who spends his time randomly pointing into the air, as the boatman takes them out on the river. We see the band as they continue their walk along the embankment, Dennis pretending to fall into the river and the band all standing in an empty boat for a photo opportunity. The film cuts back to the Palladium where we see the bands equipment being hauled out of the venue and into waiting trucks. There is brief footage of the streets around London.
Next, we see the band in Scotland walking past cannon on a castle ramparts and the focus is a short feature on Alan, wearing a Tam O’ Shanter hat and musing on voice-over about the great places being a Beach Boy takes him. There is some footage, presumably of the Odeon, Glasgow concert before we see the band plus entourage at a huge table in a hotel having a meal. There is much playing at the table- Alan picking nervously at a whole cooked fish he has been served in a deep dish. We see Mike, sat next to Dennis, take Dennis’ wine glass and tip all Dennis’ wine into his own glass to drink. We see Bruce sat next to Carl take a sip of wine and spit it out on the table onto Carl’s hand (Carl pulls a face). Meanwhile the tour management (man in a black suit?) spends time on a phone nearby.
As the tour continues into Europe we next focus on Dennis, who is lying across a seat in a train and trying to get some sleep. We hear him ‘thinking aloud’ on voiceover (about being tired, I think) and lighting a cigarette and scratching his itchy irritated nose with his hand.
We then briefly see some city sightseeing (mainly of the concert hall if I recall correctly) as the band head into mainland Europe for dates in Holland, Belgium and Germany before we find Carl in his hotel bed yawning, stretching and being served breakfast in bed, walking out onto the hotel balcony (its cold so he shoots back in) and then walking out in the snow into the hotel grounds- we hear him musing in voice-over about the extensive hotel grounds and the lake- or more of a pond as he points out. (This footage is used for a Wake The World promo film I have seen). I guess this is in Germany.
We see the rehearsal for a German TV Show shoot, looking at the camera monitors in the control room (Bluebirds Over The Mountain for Beat Club I think). There is then some live concert hall footage.
The film ends with the band sightseeing in Paris, where Mike is featured and his voice-over talks about the famous ‘Loovree’ Gallery and how this sounds like the British word Loo (for WC) – well it amuses him at least.  On the tour there were no dates played in Paris, or France come to that (the proposed Olympia gig was cancelled due to poor ticket sales apparently, and another gig elsewhere was substituted)
There are then credits that roll at the end- I can’t recall any of them, but the filming is done by Vic Kettle. The film ran to just under 55 minutes.
I have seen some snippets from this film over the years, but such a shame this artefact isn’t available in its entirety. Yes its rather dated now, but of its time at the end of the swinging 60's it’s a fascinating glimpse of the band that we never get to see.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 04:19:41 AM by chrisb » Logged
Mr. Tiger
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2019, 06:40:04 AM »

I DLed it. Is posting a link to a DL of the doc here OK?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 07:05:17 AM by Mr. Tiger » Logged
TonyW
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2019, 10:59:27 AM »

The 1968 European Tour Documentary was included in the "His Masters Choice" bootleg (HMC007) "The Beach Boys Live in London" set  - a fine little package for a bootleg ... not that I would ever have bought one.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2019, 01:51:05 PM »

The footage of Mike in Paris was probably shot at the end of the tour (the BBs were in Europe till Dec 19).  The footage of Carl walking around the hotel grounds was shot in Belgium-probably on December 15 or 16.
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2019, 04:42:02 PM »

I saw a little more than half of it.  My complaint is that they play the studio versions of the group's songs in the background instead of letting you hear the dialogue between members of the group and the fans and the managers and all the people you see along the way.  The actual conversations would have given the viewer a much better feel of what it was like back in 1968.  The film footage is quite good, but I would have enjoyed listening to the guys as they had their fancy dinner and drinks together in one scene, likely after a show.  There is a scene where Carl is on a tour bus in Germany and there is a very attractive woman sitting next to him, probably his first wife.   
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 05, 2019, 06:01:40 AM »

Yes that is his first wife Annie Hinsche
urbanite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 05, 2019, 03:05:13 PM »

What a life those guys had in their 20s, traveling around Europe, living at the top and having women lined up to meet them.  Take a look at the difference in appearance in Mike Love when he visited London in 68 as compared to 69.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx