gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:50:55 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Discord Q&A with Mark & Alan  (Read 3888 times)
Wata
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2019, 06:48:40 PM »

Hello. We've just had a Q&A session with Mark Linett and Alan Boyd on Discord. The session lasted for more than two hours, and there were a lot of new revelations.

Here's the transcription of the Q&A, with courtesy of SaltyMarshmallow and Lucakerman (I cut out some of the words of thanks in questions):

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

[Please note that a good deal of this has been re-shuffled and re-ordered for reading ease, and a lot of comments from users other than Alan and Mark have been omitted to streamline it. Wider context may be missing from some posts.]

Alan
Hello!

Mark
Greetings from California.........

[many people saying greetings from a lot of different places]

fuzzy warbles
how are you guys today?

Alan
Doing good out here!

funmachine
Mind if I kick things off?

Mark
go right ahead

funmachine
Firstly, it's a huge pleasure to have you both here. The work you all at BRI do brings me so much joy and inspires me more than, well, just about anything else. What can we as listeners and fans do to support the continuation of these "rarities" releases? One suggestion I've seen tossed around is a subscription service, like Neil Young’s, that can be updated as tapes are worked on and digitized, and for the addition of tracks that were left off of past copyright releases (65 sessions, various backing tracks/a capella, etc).

Alan
It all comes down to Capitol Records.... they need to know that there's a sizable enough audience out there for these releases to justify doing them…

Mark
Good idea but it’s up to folks at Capitol/ UMG to start a service like that, and I doubt it would be viewed as profitable.... we are extremely lucky to be able to release as much as we have especially over the past 10 years

fuzzy warbles
I was wondering if there’s any future set that you’re particularly excited to work on?

Mark
The next group of albums Sunflower, SU, Carl and the Passions and Holland and so on...

Alan
I'm very excited about the possibility of working with the Sunflower and Surf's Up era recordings. Actually, all of the Brother Records albums.

mr. explorer
Hey Alan and Mark! We all absolutely love hearing the selected backing tracks, a capellas, and track with backing vocal mixes we’ve been receiving on the 2017 and 2018 copyright releases. My question is, what’s preventing you guys from putting out the backing track and a capella for every song, like you successfully did with the Pet Sounds Sessions? Is it something behind the scenes, or do you think the fans aren’t interested in all that? Because I promise you, we are! (Plus, with the move to digital only, space constraints are gone).

Alan
Mr Explorer.... On these projects we tend not to quite have the time or the space to take as thorough an approach as happened with Pet Sounds... but we'd certanly like to, especially with a project like Sunflower.

Mark
why not do all the songs a capella and backing track where possible? THere are some limits to what the label is willing to release as far as the number of tracks, but I suspect we'll push it a bit more in the future given the huge number of live tracks we were able to relaese. Course the more we add the more the price will go up.

We also try to think in terms of two cd set for each album just in case we can get a physical release down the road

maestrodavros
Hi Alan, you mentioned that you were concerned that the Summer In Paradise files may not last 50 years. Have you and/or Mark at least made efforts to ensure they remain backed up? It's no secret that the album isn't well regarded by the majority of fans and critics, but it would nevertheless be a shame if they were lost forever.

Alan
Maestro - we haven't had access to the files for the SUMMER IN PARADISE album.

saltymarshmallow
I may as well ask something that had some foreshadowing when Alan dropped by a few weeks ago - what's the full story behind the new Great Shape fragment on the Friends set?

Mark
It’s from the Drurrie Parks acetates which ended up with a record dealer who sold them for $10k and wouldn't allow us to have a copy. He played it for me once and I managed to get a part on my cellphone and added to the end of the CIFOTM acetate

Alan
The CHILD edited backing track was something we didn't have room for on the box set (I think it came down to a choice between that and Teeter Totter Love, if I recall correctly).... it was later included on a special bonus disc that was created for the MIC box, but THAT didn't come out... and since the song does have a musical connection to the track for LITTLE BIRD, we finally had a good reason to put it out.

eilish
Mark, the new mixes on the outtakes are really great and I wanted to ask if the Friends album itself could get that treatment in the future? It feels odd having outtakes that have better mixing and just generally sound better than the album itself.

Mark
thanks..we've proposed a Friends remix and a 65 set, but no idea what the chances are

mr. explorer
A 20/20 remix would be even more needed than friends, if you’re proposing things to the bosses

Mark
can't do all of 20/20 since the multi for Cabinessence is missing

the cincinnati kid
What else was going to be on the MiC bonus disc?

Mark
Much of what was on the bonus disc has now come out either this years or the 2014 release
I think the retailer was supposed to be Best Buy but it was around the time retailers stopped doing that sort of thing

eraserhead baby
Mark and Alan, what blew your minds the most from the Friends/20/20 sessions? Also, is that Paul/Brian song real or just a dirty rumor?

Alan
From the FRIENDS sessions, the tracks that really got me were BE HERE IN THE MORNING, DARLING and the unfinished TM SONG with the "New Song" section…
And for 20/20, hearing Dennis singing blistering leads on ALL I WANT TO DO was a pretty awesome discovery.
I also really liked the alternate take of THE NEAREST FARAWAY PLACE.

Mark
took me 8 years after discovering it to get my hands on that AIWTD master

ihatepuns
I have a question; was any attempt made to track down the unknown kid who sang on Oh Yeah, and did you guys find any potential leads as to who it could be?

Alan
We have nooooo clue about the identity of that kid on OH YEAH. No notes or documentation on that one apart from the date and the title.

john b
Furthermore, on top of the other archival material, is there a chance that more stereo mixes of Smile material might find its way out?

Mark
I don't recall exactly how many additional Smile mixes we could do in stereo
several multis are missing .... sadly

saltymarshmallow
This is basically the same as John's question but I'd written it out earlier and shelved after the whole release viability discussion, but I'll paste it in here anyway because why not:

Is there any viability for potential Smile-related releases in the future? I'm sure you've seen a lot of discussion about this since 2011 (and there was some speculation not long ago because of some Spotify tracks being given the new subtitle '2011 Smile Version'), but is there any hope of seeing further stereo mixes for the remaining tracks that can actually be mixed to stereo, digital releases for the couple of stereo mixes exclusively on the vinyl (Surf's Up and You're Welcome), more isolated vocals and all the random odds and ends that had to be left off to fit it into 5 disks?

This is basically part 2 of the same question but much more specific: do any vocals still exist on the Child is Father of the Man multitrack or were both the choruses in the 2011 version sourced from older mixes? And (even more specific sorry) does the vintage mono mix of Wonderful v1 with Brian's lead include the backing vocals, or were they newly mixed in for the GV boxset and 2011 versions? From what I understand those two songs, My Only Sunshine and Cabin Essence have the biggest obstacles for stereo mixing but just wanted to clarify. There's been some wonderful work done with stereo extraction in the past for Good Vibrations etc.

Mark
as for smile ...yes Wonderful and Sunshine multis are also missing and likely on the missing reel with Cabin....

Alan
Many of those SMILE mixes had to be mono because the only vocals still extant were coming from early rough mixes made before the vocals were wiped from the 4 tracks masters. WONDERFUL with Brian's lead is a good example of that..

Some backing vocal parts on WONDERFUL were flown in from an 8 track copy of what we surmise was a compiled reel of 4 track masters from the era.

Some CHILD chorus vocals exist on that 8 track. One chorus that we used that had previously unheard vocal parts came from a surviving acetate.

saltymarshmallow
Oh interesting, so the first chorus vocals actually do exist isolated? I knew the second chorus with the alt arrangement came from a mono acetate

Alan
I think so, yes.

mr. explorer
A digital release of the vinyl only smile sessions stereo mixes would be something easy that we’d all love

Mark
that's a good point and we'll keep it in mind...... I think it was even discussed at the time..
as with all the physical releases it was always how to best make maximum use of the available space

lando
I’m gonna ask my question real quick since I have to go in a bit: How do you both see future album rarities getting released, especially for less well received albums? For instance, will we have to wait until 2035 to hear Beach Boys 85 outtakes, or until 2062 for That’s Why God Made The Radio outtakes?

Mark
as far as the much later albums, its not likely we'd get much into those anytime soon since the 50 year stuff is a priority, but you never know when an overall project might make something feasible sooner

Alan
As for future releases.... it's hard to say what Capitol will decide to do. The good thing about the new copyright extension legislation from the UK and Europe is that it kinda forces the label and the group to be proactive about releasing previously unreleased outtakes in order to keep the recordings from falling into the public domain over there.

I would loooooove to do a "Brian's Back" set covering 1976-1977. 15 Big Ones through the MIU Sessions

My guess is that the higher priority for now is going to be SUNFLOWER thru HOLLAND, partly because of the impending copyright issues on the unreleased tracks. LOVE YOU and ADULT CHILD are probably a bit further down the road.

sensible chuckle
Hey Alan and Mark, as someone who is working on an archival band doc to come out this year with a lot of unreleased music and footage I appreciate everything you are doing right now,

My question concerns if there are any plans to release any of The Beach Boys side projects like the Flame LP 2, Dennis’s first solo album attempt, or that brian Wilson Fred vail country album

[answered later]

wata
Hello! Thanks so much for your work on archival releases over the years. In my region (Japan), The Big Beat 1963 set still remains unavailable for either purchase and streaming. Is there any chance the set become available over here in the future?

Mark
RE Big Beat I will ask Capitol to look into that. I gather the 68 live stuff is finally available in the UK

john b
A certain someone who can't participate would like me to ask his question: Is there any chance of video components being released along with the copyright sets? Maybe short live videos or Youtube promos

thespicecave
Oh, a follow up question - is there any chance of a reissue of Brian Wilson Presents SMiLE on vinyl? I know I’d buy.

Mark
Didn't know Big Beat was unavailable...as for BWPS is it really tough to find? Regarding videos....sync rights make those tough especially since there is no real FS outlet

sensible chuckle
I paid $200 for BWPS on vinyl

elliot
The only vinyl copies I’ve found online go for pretty heavy hits, so to speak.

Mark
RE BWPS.... I will look into that

jiggy22
Hi Mark and Alan, thanks again for taking the time to participate in this Q&A! My question for you is regarding the tracks recorded at Caribou Studios in mid-late 1974. How many of those still exist in the vault? Track titles from that era reportedly include “Don’t Let Me Go”, “Earthquake Time”, “Our Life, Our Love, Our Land”, “Honeycomb”, “You’re Riding High on the Music”, “Brian’s Tune (Rollin’ Up to Heaven)”, and the infamous “Battle Hymn of the Republic”.

Alan
jiggy: Some of those tracks do exist and have been floating around on various boots, but there are just as many that we don't have from that 1974 period. We have Battle Hymn, Honeycomb and Brian's Tune, but nothing on the others you mentioned.

bummerinparadise
Hi Alan and Mark! Thanks again for doing this. My question is about an early version of Sail On, Sailor with a Carl lead vocal that Desper has claimed to have. Has any evidence been found that it's in fact real? Likewise, is the Brian/VDP cassette demo still in the vaults?

Alan
Bummer: We've never been able to locate an early, alternate version of SAIL ON SAILOR with a Carl lead vocal. All we have are the 16 track session reels and the final master with Blondie's lead.

I've never actually heard the legendary Brian/ VDP cassette of them working on writing SAIL ON SAILOR. We don't have that in the vaults.

Mark
I actually have a related Brian question for everyone ...is there anything else from his solo catalog that needs to be reissued?

[Many people suggesting Sweet Insanity]

Mark
SI would require quite a few hurdles
GIOMH not available digitally ... that is odd and worth knowing about.

thecincinnatikid
Mark, I have a bit of an obsession with the song Dancin' the Night Away from the 1995 sessions. Were there any vocals recorded aside from Carl's lead on the bridge? Also, did Mike write a complete set of lyrics for the song?

Mark
RE "Dancin" the only vocals recorded were those in the bridge. Don't know if complete lyrics were written

john b
A burning question I've had: Are there any tracks that you wanted to put on the 1968 sets that couldn't fit on or were rejected?

Mark
I don't think so. We've noted all of the fan requests for other 68 mixes and hope there might be a spot for some or all in the future

theblinkingeyes
Mark/Alan, can you relay any specific reactions from Brian to any particular songs when playing him the 68 sets? (Assuming he's heard them and had to approve the tracklists)

Alan
It wasn't during this latest round of work, but back when we were doing HAWTHORNE I took a stack of tracks over to Brian's to see what he thought.... and he was visibly moved when he heard A TIME TO LIVE IN DREAMS. He had never heard it before.

teletran
It's been asked earlier, but could you provide any insight into the track listing of the Durrie Parks acetate?

Mark
I don't recall what else was on the DP acetates , but there was more unheard material . Wish the buyer would let the rest of the world hear it all.

saltymarshmallow
I recall reading someone who heard them mention a Children Were Raised backing track that might be from late '66, does that sound familiar?

Mark
I really don't recall. Just that there was some short parts i had never heard

Alan
I recall there was also some other version of the Bicycle Rider theme on one of those 66 acetates... but I never had the opportunity to hear them all, unfortunately.

sensiblechuckle
How did you find Is It True What They Say About Dixie?

Alan
Some years ago we were working on preserving all of the 1'' tapes in the archive, and we kinda stumbled on to DIXIE. That was a very pleasant surprise! I’m just glad we finally found a home for it.

Mark
because we have been archiving all the studio tapes for many years we find things like Dixie and for example the 67 version of SU tacked onto reels and unlabelled . Otherwise we'd likely never find them

pat
Have there been any efforts from outside labels to license the digital sets for physical release? Would Capitol allow that?

Alan
I think some collector labels have expressed interest in licensing some f the digital projects for physical release. But I imagine the up front fees are probably fairly high!

thecincinnatikid
A couple more questions about the 1995 sessions: What led to them stopping work on new material and working on Stars and Stripes instead? There's a rumor that Carl walked out on one of the sessions and that was it, but it seems like there would be more to the story. Also, were there any other songs worked on besides Dancin', Soul Searchin' and You're Still a Mystery?

Mark
as for the 95 sessions...Dancin’ was done as part of the original recordings done by Andy and Brian at my studio. Mystery and Soul Searchin were done later at Western although for Soul Searchin we combined the original Brian backing track with the later Beach Boys vocals for MIC

Alan
There were some other backing tracks worked on by Don Was and co during those 1995 sessions, but none of those got as far as vocal sessions.

ihatepuns
Oh one more question from me; might we one day see an official release of the original single LP of the In Concert album?

Mark
I think a In Concert box is a possibility at some point. We have lots of unreleased shows from that project

Alan
And I think we have a couple of versions of the rejected single disc live album from early 1973. Some of those tracks ended up on the double LP that came out at the end of 1973. wouldn't It Be Nice and Let The Wind Blow and a couple of others, as I recall/

john b
Are the other Jasper Dailey tracks still available for release?

Mark
We never found the rest of the JD tracks

saltymarshmallow
Do either of you know what the status is on the Inside Pop film reels? Lost forever or any chance they're still out there? Last I heard they could be in the Oppenheimer family archives but from there the trail went cold.

Alan
We tried. Mounted a search for those film reels back in 1998 when we were working on ENDLESS HARMONY. No luck. They might have been junked by CBS to clear vault space years ago.

Someone did approach Oppenheimer many years ago. At that time, nobody there seemed to have any of that stuff.

eilish
Mark, Alan, just a fun little question for both of you: what are your favorite tracks off of Friends and 20/20?

Mark
I'll just mention one ...the a capella "I went to sleep" and both mixes of Little Bird...so that's 3e
the LB track was going to be on the MC bonus disc

eilish
i love that too! the a capella i went to sleep is one of my favorites of all time

Mark
that's one reason we brought it back from the Hawthone set

Alan
The a cappella mix of LITTLE BIRD is one of my favorite tracks ever.

funmachine
We here are big fans of American Spring, and less big fans of other tangential 70s projects (celebration, california music). Is a special release in the works for projects like those? (especially Spring)

Alan
I would love to see a new release of the SPRING album with some new nobs tracks and remixes. But that's a hard one to sell to a label.
FLAME definitely deserves a second chance, and we do have all of the tapes for the 2nd album, including "final" mixes by Carl and Steve Desper.

mr. horse
okay! Hi guys! Thanks a bunch for doing this, it really means a lot to us. as you can tell we are all very excited. I have a few quick questions!

1. Mark, what was it like working under Brian's supervision during the Pet Sounds stereo remix? any interesting stories?

2. Mark, how was the experience of remixing smiley smile to stereo? any new revelations in comparison to the mono mix? thanks !

Mark
For all the remix projects back then I would do the mixes and then Brian would come to the studio to listen and give me notes. with PS because I had the mono mix to refer to there weren't a lot of changes required. The biggest revelation with SS was the improvement in the fidelity going back to the 1" 8 track. About 15 years ago we discovered that he original mono mix had been copied to add fades and some edits with an obvious reduction in the quality of the original mix. I do think the stereo remix brought out a good bit of detail lost in the mono version.

mr. horse
wow, that's so cool! must be exciting to have brian listen to your mixes. Thanks a lot!

Mark
The mixes are only possible because he and the rest of the band did such great work

Alan
Smiley Smile in stereo was one of my favorite things to work on. That album suffered a bit from the fact that the original mono master was itself unfinished (some of the mixes didn't have fades) and the tape itself had so many splices that it's rather fragile.... so all of the mono master tapes used for manufacturing were another step removed from the original session masters

jach
I will proudly echo all of the sentiments here that it is an honor to have the people who are so vital to preserving this music that has brightened all of our lives. I know you’ve worked with the group for so long archiving their unreleased work, were you already familiar with most of the material on there, or did you unearth some new things with the 68 sets? Be Here in the Morning Darling and Well You Know I Knew have blown away every single person here, especially since we had no idea they existed before, wasn’t sure if that’s something you guys have known about for awhile

Alan
We were already familiar with nearly all of the outtakes based on the ongoing archival preservation work we've been doing for the last 15 years or so. Every time we archive a reel, there'll be a rough reference mix done that gets added to the library, and the contents will be listed in the database.

Mark
when you play every tape it amazing the things you find......

It also makes it possible to assemble a project like this fairly quickly since most of the research and xfrs have already been done

funmachine
every...tape...

saltymarshmallow
speaking of .....every....tape..... would not object to being handed the multitracks to everything on a hard drive in a dark alleyway, hint hint

ihatepuns
i'll pay anything for Funky Pretty multitracks i'm dead serious

Mark
I put up the Marcella multi last week....... many many vocal parts

elliot
Thank you again for everything, Mark and Alan. I just wanted to ask you guys - what are your feelings on Adult/Child as a whole? I mean, how do you feel about the album being unreleased, and do you think it has a future as far as releases go? Thanks again!

Alan
Adult / Child came about at a very difficult time for the Beach Boys, and many of the tracks were so far out of left field that I'm not surprised that it was rejected at the time. But think it should come out, yes!

saltymarshmallow
jiggy if ya wanna get the Lazy Lizzie q in there it's your time to shine

jiggy22
I guess it's my time now! Anyways, I'm known around here to have an obsession with the track “Lazy Lizzy”. That backing track rocks! How many iterations of this track exist in the vaults? Any early demos, alternate takes, overdubs not found on the booted mix, etc.? Thanks again!

Alan
The complete unedited PIED PIPER, BETTER GET BACK IN BED from Holland starts with a long piano track that's the same music as the verse of LAZY LIZZIE. But otherwise the boots that have been floating around for many years pretty well represent what's on the multitrack master.

saltymarshmallow
Is it true that there's an alt lead vocal on the multitrack for Better Get Back in Bed under the name Pa Let Her Go Out?

Alan
Yes there is, Salty!

saltymarshmallow
Oh my!

Alan
"Pa let her, pa let her go out / such a good looking prince"

There's some very intriguing stuff on the fairy tale reels. Hope we can do a HOLLAND box

keepin the worms alive
Hello, Mark and Alan! I'm very honored to take part. I got two questions.

1) One of my favorite moments in the I Can Hear Music Set was hearing the previously unreleased versions of "All I Want To Do" with Dennis on lead vocals. There's a very infamous story about the "backing vocals" in the song featuring Dennis with a lady friend of his. What information do you guys have about this story and the identity of the mystery woman?

2) Using the session material, how would you restructure the tracklists for both Friends and 20/20?

Thank you both for everything you've done.

Alan
Hmmm.... Dennis' sound efx reel.

We have no idea who the "talent" was for that session.

Mark
Keepin...... Desper gave the story of the fade of AIWTD in an interview many years ago

We added an alternate bit in the fade of the new Dennis mix to keep things "authentic"

funmachine
let's hear it back!

Mark
"WE'd like to hear it"

saltymarshmallow
Between that and Brian's "I can't sing this bitch" hidden at the end of Walkin' you two are legends

Mark
the fun is in the details.......

Alan
Lemme think about that FRIENDS and 20/20 sequencing thing... I rather like what they had. I think Side Two of 20/20 is an amazing sonic journey myself.

Mark
As for the order....... we have worked up a two lp track order with alt mixes in the same order as the original albums and I think it sounds really good, so I think they got the track order right in 68

maestrodavros
To start as a heads up Mark/Alan the 2015 hi res remaster of LA was removed from most storefronts because Good Timin' was faulty, but Capitol never made a replacement so it's still gone from most places except for iTunes. This leads me to my question, a few years ago Elvis Presley's entire catalog was remastered from scratch and released as a CD box set with facsimiles of the original artwork and bonus tracks. It would be amazing to see something similar with The Beach Boys to have all the albums in one place (preferably freshly remastered by you Mark of course). Is this something that could be viable with Capitol at some point in the future?

Alan
This hi res remaster of LA? That was a CD reissue?

Mark
I don't know. We can certainly bring the idea to Capitol but the catalog was just recently re-released so I don't know how big a market they would expect

I'm pretty sure Capitol reissued LA on vinyl as well

saltymarshmallow
This is a two part question because one is probably unanswerable right here - first, in the "Brian's secret bedroom tapes" article (yeah, I know there was a lot of embellishment there) it was said that Ed Roach has a cassette from Murry with a second fairy tale by Brian recorded in the 70s, is that true? And part two (the unanswerable part) is it known what order all the 1968 sections in the new Can't Wait Too Long montage were recorded in? Because that entire song makes my brain hurt. Feel free to veto this part

Mark
CWTL is Alan and my edit done strictly to present all the recorded sections in a listenable order. No indication an assembly was attempted in 68

Alan
That article was the source of a migraine or two.... I've never heard that cassette they spoke of. That doesn't mean necessarily that it doesn't exist, just that I've never heard it.

as for the order..... we have most if not all of the recording dates. At some point I may go back to the database and reference mixes to determine which CWTL sessions were in which order. For this release, we were mainly concerned with including parts that hadn't been heard, and having the montage flow as a listening experience.

wata
Hello again! I have two questions:
1. Are there any possible inclusions on Sunflower set that would surprise us all? (for example, Unheard tracks & alt mixes)
2. Are there any notable renditions of Shortenin' Bread in the vaults that we fans don't know of?

Alan
Most of the Sunflower session tracks have been booted at one point or another - and we also included some gems from that era on the MIX box... but I'll say I'm really looking forward to "dissecting "All I Wanna Do." And while there's no early demo of FOREVER, there is an alternate mix with a different lead vocal and slightly different lyrics. There's also a mix / edit of THIS WHOLE WORLD with an alternate tag that was done for an Eastern Airlines commercial in 1970. That's kinda cool.

There are a couple of Brian "jams" from 1974-75 featuring that SHORTNIN BREAD riff, but nothing with any vocals.

sbonilla
Alan or Mark, do either of you know, are there any early or demo versions of FOREVER? If so, did the song contain the bridge and last verse?

Alan
All of the FOREVERS had the same bridge and last verse.

theblinkingeyes
I'd like to ask if there's a clean soundboard version of Dennis's "I've Got A Friend"

Alan
Unfortunately, all we have on I'VE GOT A FRIEND is a very basic backing track, no vocals. And nothing on the song live, sorry to say.

pat
I’ll ask a fun one and a real one:

1) how many times have you heard the phrases "medley of oldies but moldies" and “audience perspiration number”?

2) are you guys familiar with the don Goldberg recordings from a few years back? Are those legit? Do they exist in the BRI vaults?

Alan
1) Too many

Mark
recently...at least 8 times

Alan
Don Goldberg actually came out to the studio a few years back. Nice guy. I really liked what he did with that SWEET AND BITTER tape. We still have the basic tracking session reel on that one, but he managed to hold onto the master take with Mike's lead.

theblinkingeyes
Is there a particular reason the verse backgrounds were left off of Time To Get Alone a cappella?

Oh, also Time To Get Alone related. Is there anything on the tapes that show when/why/by whom the lyrics were changed between 67 and 68

Alan
There was no particular reason those vocals were left off of Time To Get Alone. That was a "d'oh!" kinda thing, due mainly to a short schedule, pressing project deadlines, and the fact that those parts are only isolated on an earlier generation multitrack of the song and were easily overlooked (on the final multi for the song they were combined with an instrumental part). We hope to swap that out when we can. Sorry about that..

Mark
Ditto.......
It’s done and we'll try to find a spot for it in the future.

eraserhead baby
So, what's Paul Dano like?

Mark
Paul was really great to work with. Super nice , and the fact that he could play and sing while portraying Brian I think really added to the film. It was a wonderful experience for me to be in the movie and portray Chuck Britz who was such an integral part of making those records........and one of my heroes ....

funmachine
Mark the movie star!

Mark
Get a recording engineer to portray one....... makes sense

They went to great lengths to make those studio scenes authentic

wish we could have done a documentary on the making of L&M. The things the set guys did etc to transform Western Studio 3 back to 1966 was amazing.

jach
and it truly shows, the Good Vibrations sessions felt like watching a documentary

Alan
I visited Mark at Western Studio 3 during the production. Talk about a time machine, it was rather incredible, in both the both and the room.

saltymarshmallow
It's some of the best production design I've seen anywhere
They did a phenomenal job

kawlundram
The GV scene is unparalleled in its construction. I loved it.

Mark
yeah. I can tell if a recording scene in a movie is wrong, but not if the guitar or the drum kit is. Bill wanted everything correct because the idea was that part of the film was done as if it were a documentary from 1966

maestrodavos
So glad that EastWest were so open to allowing it to happen. It's proudly talked about on their site!

Mark
It is. We took over the entire place for a week and a half

Alan
I'm curious to know, in general. what people think would help in terms of getting new listeners interested in the group overall

[many responses, I'm only including Mark and Alan's comments to save space but there was a lot of conversation]

Mark
We like to think that Sunshine Tomorrow and the 68 sets have attracted a difft bunch of listeners to this difft period in teh group's career and hope it will continue

We were amazed at the response to Sunshine Tomorrow and the WH stereo vinyl sales. Much much higher than expected...... the vinyl had to held back so they could press more before releasing it......

Alan
The Beach Boys did so many kinds of music so well...

Mark
The great and amazing this about the band is they left so much great unreleased stuff both finished and unfinished that helps make these sets all the more interesting imo

Alan
WE both know that people will be listening closely to these recordings long after we're gone. They're teaching "Brian Wilson" and "The Beach Boys" at the University level now.

funmachine
"The Music of The Beach Boys" is taught every year at Indiana University

Alan
I've spoken to that class at Indiana U a few times. Great people over there!

eilish
I asked this earlier but how did the two of you feel about this Q&A and this discord in general? Would you ever feel up for Q&As in the future? It's been such a pleasure to have the two of you here

Alan
I think this is cool! I'd even be happy to just drop in from time to time when I have a few moments, and take a question or two

Mark
Happy to have done this and would be glad to do it again in the future....

[more discussion]

Alan
Hey everyone, this has been great! I've got to sign off for now, but I'll be back. Thanks for giving us an opportunity to do this.

Mark
I am off as well. Thanks again to everyone........Its been a great experience.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2019, 10:41:52 PM by Wata » Logged
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 05:47:43 AM »

Thanks for this.  Particularly glad to see American Spring and The Flame addressed.  Only thing I'd have added would've been a question about Dennis material done (or not done) with Christine McVie.

Thankfully, if there is ever an expanded release for Summer In Paradise, I won't be around to hear it! Lol!
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 06:33:46 AM »

Thanks! Interesting that there STILL is unreleased/unknown Smile material out there  LOL

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 12:17:37 PM »

This is great, thanks for sharing.
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx