gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 01:23:40 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The Beach Boys and The Association  (Read 2365 times)
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 29, 2019, 02:57:57 PM »

Any pics or videos of the 2 bands together?
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2019, 01:26:30 PM »

Having followed both bands for numerous decades, in addition to being the author of The Association's biography ('Cherish'), I've never seen any photographic evidence of their shows together. They were on a brief 4-date tour during 1966, and at least one other occasion during the 80s (thinking off the top of my head) but despite being the two premier west-coast harmony bands of that era they surprisngly spent little time in each other's company. I asked Jules Alexander about this today and he could offer little recollection on the two bands working together... although he did seem to recall at least one other show, possibly during the early 70s, when they were appearing at the same venue...

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2019, 03:47:44 PM »

Monterey 1967, but not to be....

The Association Friday
The Beach Boys Saturday

https://goo.gl/images/sYh8y6
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2019, 07:04:05 PM »

Yeah it’s funny-you know there were thousands of teens at every BBs show in the 60s snapping pics but so few concert photos turn up online, unlike the Beatles-where you can buy photo books of almost every gig they played post 1962. I’m sure there are photos out there of that particular tour but no one ever posts them
Malc
Smiley Smile Associate

It's all about 'harmony' ...

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2019, 08:50:26 AM »

... and a few further thoughts from Jim Yester : "We also did an early date with them at The Ventura County Fairgrounds, followed by one at the Convention Center in Las Vegas. They were very nice and friendly... Terry (Kirkman), later on, became sort of close with Brian Wilson. I believe he went to Brian's house a few times..."
Being a huge admirer of TK's work THAT is a meeting I'd love to have overseen !

Note: and to get back to the subject of the original thread, Jim also comments that he doesn't believe any photographic evidence exists...
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 11:07:36 AM by Malc » Logged

www.facebook.com/beachboysalbumsleeves - a cool place to visit !
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2019, 09:26:29 AM »

Well the July 66 tour was Las Vegas Convention Center, Santa Barbara County Bowl, Fresno Municipal Auditorium and the San Diego Community Concourse Arena
feelintheflows
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2019, 02:44:24 PM »

Having followed both bands for numerous decades, in addition to being the author of The Association's biography ('Cherish'), I've never seen any photographic evidence of their shows together. They were on a brief 4-date tour during 1966, and at least one other occasion during the 80s (thinking off the top of my head) but despite being the two premier west-coast harmony bands of that era they surprisngly spent little time in each other's company. I asked Jules Alexander about this today and he could offer little recollection on the two bands working together... although he did seem to recall at least one other show, possibly during the early 70s, when they were appearing at the same venue...

Thanks! And it’s a bummer my top 2 bands with no evidence together. And I’ll be getting your book soon!
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 02:46:30 PM by feelintheflows » Logged
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx