gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:58:10 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can anyone help id this performance?  (Read 6437 times)
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2019, 03:07:34 PM »

I came across this video on YouTube and am trying to figure out what it’s from.  It looks very similar to their appearance on the Fridays show, but Mike and Al are wearing different outfits.  It looks like it’s a studio audience as everyone is seated.  

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DP-9o7lBhGY#fauxfullscreen

« Last Edit: January 24, 2019, 03:08:18 PM by marcella27 » Logged
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 04:40:01 PM »

I think it's from the broadcast of the Beach Boys performing keeping the summer Alive album that was a special one-hour show back in 1980. I think
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 07:45:24 PM »

I think it's from the broadcast of the Beach Boys performing keeping the summer Alive album that was a special one-hour show back in 1980. I think

Yes, you are correct. Al's stylish red robe thing is the dead giveaway!  Smiley
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 08:11:48 PM »

Thanks.  Do you know the name of the show or anything else I could use to look it up?  I’d love to see more of the footage from this. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 10:03:54 PM »

Thanks.  Do you know the name of the show or anything else I could use to look it up?  I’d love to see more of the footage from this. 

"Goin' Platinum". It was on either HBO or Showtime in 1980. Last I looked a few years back, the whole thing wasn't on YouTube, but maybe it is now.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 12:11:05 AM »

The whole thing used to be on YouTube but the channel that uploaded it was suspended.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2019, 04:07:58 AM »

Taped January 30 1980 at KTTV in Los Angeles
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2019, 04:21:42 AM »

A couple of minutes ("School days", interviews, studio footage and "Oh darlin'") are linked on the Beach Boys Pro Shot Concerts list under the date Ian just mentioned.

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2019, 06:47:30 AM »

The whole thing used to be on YouTube but the channel that uploaded it was suspended.

Argh, what a shame. 
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2019, 06:49:38 AM »

Thanks, Tony S, C-man, Jay, Ian and Rocker!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: January 25, 2019, 06:50:43 AM »

The "Going Platinum" special on the KTSA album is quite good; it's relatively (for the era and in context) honest in its portrayal of the band's struggle to stay relevent/on the charts, etc. Nobody (either the band or the host/narrator) seem to be delusional as if they just *know* KTSA is going to be a huge hit.

This special definitely deserves an official release. Some nice studio tidbits (I recall a nice brief a capella bit of them recording vocals for "Goin' On") and some interesting interviews.

Also note that those "in studio" bits miming to the studio KTSA tracks feature some slightly alternate mixes of those songs unheard elsewhere. In particular I recall "Oh Darlin'" being a different mix with less vocal overdubs (most noticeable near the end of the song).

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 25, 2019, 08:17:22 AM »

I actually have the whole show on VHS somewhere; the interviews were good, as were the shots of A's Barn and the beach near his house in Bug Sur, where the band was seen walking. I remember how disappointed I was when they lip synched, as opposed to singing live, to the new tracks. Oh well, good commentary otherwise.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 25, 2019, 10:53:22 AM »

It's an interesting show. In-studio footage includes scenes of the guys talking about and working on the then-unreleased "Goin' To The Beach". For the "live" performance, I seem to recall that local BBFUN members were invited to comprise the audience. At one point, right before the sax solo on "Goin' On", Carl's lip syncing is off; he realizes it, and gives one of his famous "faces". He then carries on, while smiling and briefly nodding at someone off-screen (the director, or someone in the audience), as if to acknowledge it and say, "Yeah, I know - but it's OK". Priceless. Also interesting is that there is absolutely no mention of Dennis; he was ostracized from the band at this point, but you'd think they would have at least acknowledged his absence somehow, especially since they make a big deal about how these album sessions marked a newfound "togetherness" and sense of unity for the band.

January 28th (two days before the onstage video shoot) was a busy day indeed for our Boys, who worked their balls off at Rumbo Recorders:  not only did they spend three hours adding some vocals to "Some Of Your Love" and "Oh Darlin'", guitar and horns were added to one song during another three-hour session, four hours were devoted to tape-copying and editing together the 24-track master of "Sunshine", an hour was spent dubbing cassette copies for the band, and 1.5 hours were allocated to making mono TV mixes of "Some Of Your Love" and "Goin' On" (yes, the TV special's audio is in mono - and this would seem to indicate either that mono mixes for the other tunes included in the program were made on another day, or simple stereo-to-mono fold-downs were made from rough mixes of those tunes). This information all comes from a CBS Records work order.

Many of the rough mixes used in the television program are indeed unique - for instance, the song "Keepin' The Summer Alive" lacks the eventual Joe Walsh slide guitar solo, enabling us to hear Carl's original "place-holder" solo; and "Goin' On" lacks the tympani overdub that was added on January 31st (the very next day after the video shoot). Also of note is that three of the album's songs are not included in the live "performance", and are absent from the special altogether:  "When Girls Get Together" (likely because it was a ten-year old recording, and wasn't well suited for a psuedo-live setting), "Santa Ana Winds", and "Livin' With A Heartache" ("Winds" was not completed in its final form until January 31st-February 1st, and "Heartache" was not tracked until January 31st, with overdubs following on February 5th, 14th, and 17th).  
« Last Edit: January 25, 2019, 01:32:18 PM by c-man » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2019, 11:11:26 AM »

Argh, what a shame. 
Indeed. The channel in question had some really good stuff that I wish I had copied, like twenty or so minutes of footage from a 1983 San Diego concert with Dennis, and footage of the group with Carl in a 1997 performance as part of a news broadcast.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2019, 04:58:35 AM »

FWIW, here are a couple of minutes of "Goin' on" and "Going to the beach" in the studio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_3ZlgzFqz8

EDIT:

This was new to me, I think. The promo KTSA interviews:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5YZ1tnwR_10

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rwBpgvEBgc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JdWxJk2Pvq0

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vl4z_3RmvvY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyQWGIocUz4
« Last Edit: January 26, 2019, 05:04:22 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Gerry
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2019, 05:25:40 PM »

I believe Ben Fong Torres was the narrator/host for this
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2019, 05:44:24 PM »

Interesting thread. Think I'd seen it in youtube, going by descriptions. Would like to see it again, in entirety.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2019, 05:51:42 PM »

I believe Ben Fong Torres was the narrator/host for this

Yep.
DisneySpirit
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2019, 12:01:04 PM »

Thanks.  Do you know the name of the show or anything else I could use to look it up?  I’d love to see more of the footage from this.  

"Goin' Platinum". It was on either HBO or Showtime in 1980. Last I looked a few years back, the whole thing wasn't on YouTube, but maybe it is now.

It was distributed by Showtime. I just watched it on the DVD I had made from a Betamax tape I recorded when it was first shown in 1980 (On TV Ch 15 in Phoenix, AZ).
It was the first in a series of shows called "Going Platinum" (not Goin') hosted by a Rolling Stones magazine editor.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2019, 12:13:10 PM by DisneySpirit » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2019, 12:23:39 PM »

Thanks.  Do you know the name of the show or anything else I could use to look it up?  I’d love to see more of the footage from this.  

It was distributed by Showtime. I just watched it on the DVD I had made from a Betamax tape I recorded when it was first shown in 1980 (On TV Ch 15 in Phoenix, AZ).
It was the first in a series of shows called "Going Platinum" (not Goin') hosted by a Rolling Stones magazine editor.

Yes, Ben Fong-Torres as stated above.
BBs Footage Saga
Smiley Smile Associate

FOOTAGE!!!

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2019, 02:21:20 AM »

I also have the full footage.
marcella27
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2019, 06:24:08 PM »

If anyone decides to post more of the footage, please let the board know!

It would be so nice if the powers that be decided to release a compilation DVD of all the major tv performances over the years.  I know a lot of people have this stuff in bits and pieces but it would be great to have a good bit of it on one release. 
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2019, 06:57:01 PM »

If anyone decides to post more of the footage, please let the board know!

It would be so nice if the powers that be decided to release a compilation DVD of all the major tv performances over the years.  I know a lot of people have this stuff in bits and pieces but it would be great to have a good bit of it on one release. 

Including the foreign stuff, like "Gran Gala Du Disque" from Holland, and the full New Zealand and Australia shows from '78 (assuming they still exist).
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2019, 11:31:19 PM »

Something tells me that even if more footage from the 1978 Australian/New Zealand  tour existed, it probably wouldn't be released anyway. The Melbourne show doesn't really show them in a very positive light. Which brings up the question, Was the tv broadcast of that show ever shown again  after the initial airing?

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2019, 11:59:37 PM »

Some of you here may remember Bruce on the Brit site prior to the release of the Knebworth DVD/CD. He was pretty negative TBH about the quality of the show(s) of the time, mainly down to members of the group and their issues. In the end it was of historical interest, not importance, that it be released I seem to remember him saying.

To release shows from only 2 years earlier when things were even worse? Doubtful I think.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx