gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680725 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 16, 2024, 11:55:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Craft services + BBs tour riders  (Read 1867 times)
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: January 24, 2019, 10:47:50 AM »

Does anyone know when The BBs started getting tour riders, where they could request/demand certain things like craft services (dictated to their liking), and other amenities?

And what details do we know about these?

Did The BBs have craft services consisting of a deli plate, burgers and fries, and also health food veggie stuff, at various times during their touring history?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2019, 11:30:08 AM »

This rider has been around for years, but in case you missed it.

http://www.thesmokinggun.com/backstage/hall-fame/beach-boys
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2019, 01:20:03 PM »

Somehow it comes natural to me to read the exclamation mark parts of the rider in Bruce's voice.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2019, 01:59:37 PM »

The smoking gun documents read like a series of riders, instead of just one.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2019, 04:45:40 PM »

Were riders and food requests a thing in the early/mid 60s during their heyday? Or was it just a less formal system? I'm curious what the band would've had on their list way back when.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2019, 06:46:51 AM »

I haven't looked at it lately, but my recollection is that that series of Tour Riders posted on the old "Smoking Gun" website were indeed a random hodge podge of riders including Mike's "Beach Boys" (and/or the pre-'98 Beach Boys) and some stuff from Al's "Family & Friends" riders from 1999-ish.

These riders have been around for eons, and are of course common. My recollection is that the BB riders were pretty typical. Nothing goofy (e.g. Van Halen or whomever it was asking for M&Ms with one color removed, done not to be eccentric but to help determine if small details of the riders were being followed), although most riders usually give a bit of insight into a tour operation. The most interesting stuff you'll usually see is whether they ask for "Vegetarian" food, or whether they ask for no alcohol (or lots of alcohol!), etc. I remember years and years ago a "huge scandal" regarding Britney Spears asking for Coke in her dressing room even though she was doing commercials for Pepsi. Whoa man! Scandal!

You can actually often read riders direct from band's websites for more modest operations like tribute bands and BB-related side bands. They are usually pretty modest and simple (e.g. just make sure we have proper equipment, a place to sleep, and some food to eat).

In particular, "lean" operations like BB tours often rely on venues/promoters to provide their daily meals and lodging and all of that. Mike's tour operation for instance often rents most of their equipment in each city/venue.

I'm occasionally surprised when people are surprised by long-time veteran tour operations having very detailed, specific riders. I'm sure that comes from having spent years in the business and knowing how and what to ask for from each promoter/venue. They probably know the stuff that is more often messed up and make sure to ask for everything with as much specific detail as possible. They'd probably run into problems if they just wrote into a rider "provide some food, whatever sounds good to you."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx