gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:59:25 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: 1981 Queen Mary “Pre-Show”  (Read 2453 times)
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 06, 2019, 09:01:06 PM »

I found an old issue of Cash Box online that covered the announcement of the infamous 1981 Queen Mary simulcast concert (11th page of https://www.americanradiohistory.com/Archive-Cash-Box/80s/1981/CB-1981-07-04.pdf, labeled page 19). Near the end of the article, it says “The three-hour concert itself will actually be Part II and, of course, the climax to radio's "big event." A three-hour pre-show on the history of the Beach Boys has been produced by Mike Love’s production company, Surf City Syndicators. Nickell said that some of the stations are planning to broadcast the pre-show on Saturday night (July 4) as a primer for the live broadcast on Sunday; others will air the pre-show immediately preceding the concert.” I hadn’t heard of this “pre-show” before. Did anyone catch it at the time? Is it online anywhere? A three-hour audio documentary about the BBs produced by Mike at one of the band’s lower points sounds fascinating.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2019, 03:32:41 AM »

Interesting. Never knew that. However if the three-hour documentary is anything near as bad as the Beach Boys performance that night I wouldn't even want to watch it. That was the absolute nadir of their career in my opinion and it was sadly broadcast live across the country. I remember watching that and just thinking OMG they sound horrible.
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2019, 09:13:37 AM »

I recorded the radio broadcast when it aired on TV.  I have a vague memory of the pre-Show radio special.  I think Dick Clark and Wolfman Jack were the hosts and they played a mix of the as yet unheard track Brian's Back.  My memory may be failing but I think the bulk of the program was an edited version of 1976 syndicated Radio special - The Best Summers of our Lives.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2019, 12:08:20 PM »

Very interesting, Steve. Has “The Best Summers of Our Lives” circulated at all since then? I don’t really know anything about radio specials produced about the BBs. Were there any other notable specials produced throughout the years?

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2019, 12:10:27 PM »

Can someone who works in radio contact Surf City Syndicators and tell them you’d like to re-run the show? Grin

Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2019, 12:25:48 PM »

I'd love to hear Best Summers of Our Lives again, for nostalgia's sake.   Lots of enthusiastic interviews from the five principals, etc..  It was a fun old school ride through their first fifteen years.  I remember in the last part, after going into detail about 15 Big Ones they talked about what songs they still had in the can and what might be present in the next album.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2019, 04:19:37 PM »

I remember listening to the best Summers of our lives on the radio 2. It was a great program with interviews with principals talking about songs and 15 big ones. Would love to hear that again
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2019, 07:51:25 PM »

I have both radio programs and they are both enjoyable as they feature interviews with all the guys when their memories were more intact but there are no incredible surprises
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx