gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:35:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's mid to late 70's work and California Feeling  (Read 8955 times)
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 18, 2014, 04:30:06 PM »

Now that I live in Iowa, you'd bet your ass I'm going to MIU (now MUM, I believe) and jamming the sh*t out of MIU. I'm convinced that if I blast "Pitter Patter" with the right EQ in the "Golden Domes" (http://truenorthbytomnorth.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/03/best-small-towns-fairfield-ia-praying-large.jpg), it will usher in the age of the Aquarius. But I don't know, that's just me.

Seriously though, MIU is a major guilty pleasure for me. "Pitter Patter", "My Diane", "Matchpoint", "Wontcha Come Out Tonight?", and "Hey Little Tomboy"? Sorry, but I'd take those songs over most of Holland.  "Belles of Paris", and the idea of Mike trying to romance French woman, is always good for a laugh. To think I've been pronouncing "croissant" wrong this whole time.

I actually think MIU could seriously benefit from a remix. It's got that "slab of sound" Love You/15 Big Ones vibe, but it's flattened like a pancake.  Just a nice, bouncy vibe.

Impossible to make a silk purse out of a sow's ear even though I do dig "Matchpoint".
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:31:27 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 18, 2014, 04:33:39 PM »

Actually, now that I think about, Al's take on the song on Postcard is about as good as the song can get. Which is pretty good. The song just has an odd bit of clunkiness to it that prevents it from being a true Beach Boys classic. It's funny that Al got Brian on "Drivin'", but not "California Feelin'", and such a typical Beach Boys move, lol. Brian on the harmonies could've been a nice touch.

Here's a perfect MIU

Side 1
California Feelin'
Wontcha Come Out Tonight?
Hey Little Tomboy
Our Team
Come Go With Me
Good Timin'
Shortenin' Bread

Side 2
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
My Diane
Match Point of Our Love
It's Over Now
Love Remember Me
Life Is For the Living
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 18, 2014, 04:37:08 PM »

Actually, now that I think about, Al's take on the song on Postcard is about as good as the song can get. Which is pretty good. The song just has an odd bit of clunkiness to it that prevents it from being a true Beach Boys classic. It's funny that Al got Brian on "Drivin'", but not "California Feelin'", and such a typical Beach Boys move, lol. Brian on the harmonies could've been a nice touch.

Here's a perfect MIU

Side 1
California Feelin'
Hey Little Tomboy
Our Team
Come Go With Me
Good Timin'
Shortenin' Bread

Side 2
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
My Diane
Match Point of Our Love
It's Over Now
Love Remember Me
Life Is For the Living

Let's delete "Tomboy" and pull in "Tug of Love", which was available as an POB outtake.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 18, 2014, 04:38:17 PM »

I get that "Hey Little Tomboy" is controversial, but I still think it's a catchy song. The way they trade off on lead vocals is awesome.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 18, 2014, 04:56:43 PM »

I get that "Hey Little Tomboy" is controversial, but I still think it's a catchy song. The way they trade off on lead vocals is awesome.

More embarrassing than controversial. But I see you have "Love Remember Me" which gives Dennis his moment. You've nearly managed to salvage the album. Any thoughts on "Still I Dream Of It" fitting in?
« Last Edit: August 18, 2014, 04:59:03 PM by Moon Dawg » Logged
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 18, 2014, 05:00:57 PM »

"Still I Dream Of It" fits in musically, for sure. But almost feel that it's too confessional and Brian for a Beach Boys album. It's definitely a closer song if it's on an album.
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 18, 2014, 05:20:45 PM »

The problem with "California Feeling" is definitely in the recording, not the song. I actually think  the song is a bit of a classic, and Al's version of it (and dare I say it, Brian's demo) show the potential of what it could be far more than the Beach Boys recording, which features distinctly meh vocals by both Bruce and Carl.

Indeed, I think Brian's demo gives the clearest picture of the direction the arrangement should have been taken in. It's more of a Randy Newman type, slightly theatrical song, and shouldn't have been given a reading that was quite so straight as the Beach Boys version.

Al's choice to make it into a sort The Good, the Bad and the Ugly style southwestern thing with the whistles like you can hear the dust rolling past the cactus works pretty damn well.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: August 18, 2014, 11:52:43 PM »

When I heard Alan's version, first thought was "he's heard Brian's 1974 demo" because they were essentially identical in phrasing (down to the whistling). And gosh darn it if he didn't admit that in an interview recently.  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 19, 2014, 01:49:26 AM »

lyrics of CF could need a little rewriting.
'look at the orange grooves, and taste a grapefruit from a grapefruit tree...' is weak imo and could be redone, even if it gives good imagery.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #34 on: August 19, 2014, 02:03:18 AM »

Here's a perfect MIU

Side 1
California Feelin'
Hey Little Tomboy
Our Team
Come Go With Me
Good Timin'
Shortenin' Bread

Side 2
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
My Diane
Match Point of Our Love
It's Over Now
Love Remember Me
Life Is For the Living

I would save California Feelin' for LA because it's more worthy. MIU without Pitter Patter? Shudder.
Nicko1234
« Reply #35 on: August 19, 2014, 03:31:56 AM »

Here's a perfect MIU

Side 1
California Feelin'
Hey Little Tomboy
Our Team
Come Go With Me
Good Timin'
Shortenin' Bread

Side 2
Sweet Sunday Kinda Love
My Diane
Match Point of Our Love
It's Over Now
Love Remember Me
Life Is For the Living

Pitter Patter is superior to many of those songs imo...

My personal tracklist:

1, Pitter Patter
2, Lady Lynda
3, It`s Trying to Say

4, Come Go With Me
5, Country Pie
6, Sad, Sad, Summer

7, That Special Feeling
8, My Diane
9, Still I Dream of It

10, Kona Coast
11, Winter Symphony
12, Holy Evening
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #36 on: August 19, 2014, 04:34:22 AM »

See, I save Country Pie for my LA too, but Lady Lynda without the intro and Winter Symphony? Definitely.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx