gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:15:43 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love of the Beach Boys Presents The Girls of Kokomo.....  (Read 7119 times)
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2019, 03:11:32 PM »

The constant kokomo branding was a good reason for BW to stay away....

Or a better reason for him to come back!

Every wave is new until it breaks.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: January 09, 2019, 03:41:35 PM »

The real irony is that Kokomo wasn't even Mike's idea or concept. Yet he's been trying to brand it under his image for 25 years or more.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 09, 2019, 05:07:08 PM »

The constant kokomo branding was a good reason for BW to stay away....

Or a better reason for him to come back!
Yes!!!! LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 09, 2019, 05:25:43 PM »

@B.E., though I think any chart success would've helped Brian's confidence, it's a pretty interesting road of thought to image how Murry would have behaved had it been a success...and to wonder if in the long run it would be a positive thing for Brian. Just my two cents. I hope others chime in on this topic too.

Considering Murry was involved, yes, I think it would have gone to his head. But that makes me wonder if he changes his mind about selling Sea Of Tunes in '69 and how that could have changed things for Brian and the group in a very positive way. Surely, Murry selling away all of Brian's songs (and "Breakaway" failing) had a worse effect on Brian than "Breakaway" being a hit would have, no? Yeah, maybe Murry might convince Brian that he still needed him, but if Brian's confidence is up, is that really so bad? Most of us love the results of Friends and "Breakaway", don't we? Point is, we know how things turned out, and it wasn't good for Brian.

It is interesting to think about. I just feel the need to pump the brakes is all...

Yeah, the one instance of Breakaway hypothetically being a hit is a better scenario than Murry selling the tunes and Breakaway failing. But I think CD was pointing out that had Breakaway become a hit then Murry would probably interject himself more in the recording process and things down the road would become really rocky for Brian, especially the abuse from Murry coupled with his drug abuse and fragile mindset during that time. Had failures happened after Breakaway became a hit and Murry been pushed away a second time he probably would have sold the Sea of Tunes stuff anyways.

I'm glad you're interjecting your point of view, and I think it's good to look at this from all angles....so hit the brakes all you want!

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 09, 2019, 06:34:31 PM »

@B.E., though I think any chart success would've helped Brian's confidence, it's a pretty interesting road of thought to image how Murry would have behaved had it been a success...and to wonder if in the long run it would be a positive thing for Brian. Just my two cents. I hope others chime in on this topic too.

Considering Murry was involved, yes, I think it would have gone to his head. But that makes me wonder if he changes his mind about selling Sea Of Tunes in '69 and how that could have changed things for Brian and the group in a very positive way. Surely, Murry selling away all of Brian's songs (and "Breakaway" failing) had a worse effect on Brian than "Breakaway" being a hit would have, no? Yeah, maybe Murry might convince Brian that he still needed him, but if Brian's confidence is up, is that really so bad? Most of us love the results of Friends and "Breakaway", don't we? Point is, we know how things turned out, and it wasn't good for Brian.

It is interesting to think about. I just feel the need to pump the brakes is all...

Yeah, the one instance of Breakaway hypothetically being a hit is a better scenario than Murry selling the tunes and Breakaway failing. But I think CD was pointing out that had Breakaway become a hit then Murry would probably interject himself more in the recording process and things down the road would become really rocky for Brian, especially the abuse from Murry coupled with his drug abuse and fragile mindset during that time. Had failures happened after Breakaway became a hit and Murry been pushed away a second time he probably would have sold the Sea of Tunes stuff anyways.

I'm glad you're interjecting your point of view, and I think it's good to look at this from all angles....so hit the brakes all you want!

All of what you both said rings true, and yes that's essentially what I think too. Regardless of what would have played out, Murry would have behaved like a toxic person in an unhealthy way, because sadly that's just how he was. Give him an inch in terms of credit/praise, I'm sure he'd have taken a mile. Reject him and he'd fight back with psychological warfare in any way he could. We know the way Murry acted when he had a flop with Breakway; he soon after screwed over his sons (out of an attempt to "help" them), basically to interject himself businesswise where he wasn't wanted in order to placate his own ego's desire to MATTER to the situation.  To be the hero to his sons' careers.

Even if there had been a hit from Breakaway, there'd have doubtlessly been the start of more dysfunction of him trying to force his way back into a more prominent role (like the early days), or at least from an advice-giving standpoint, and at this timeframe Brian (even if he'd have been newly somewhat confident after having co-penned a hit) was not in a good space mentally to deal with Murry acting even more entitled (and this time Murry with a hit to claim how important he was to further hits).

Again, I compare what Murry's likely behavior would have been to Mike's post-Kokomo behavior, where he was reinvigorated to proudly strut that his contributions MATTER; that just led to an ocean of eyeroll-worthy Mike behavior and actions (like creating this Girls of Kokomo nonsense, and hijacking the brand in order to pose with half naked women), and I can't even imagine what type of psychological mindfuckery Murry would have dreamed up if he had a hit song with Brian in 1969. Basically, working with Murry again (post when they kicked him out as manager) in pretty much any capacity, let alone a capacity where he would have been a cowriter on a big single they were gonna push, was gonna lead to problems.

And... this doesn't even begin to take into account that Mike might have gotten jealous of Murry trying to interject himself further as Brian's collaborator, and how that could have played out. Such dysfunction :/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 06:37:36 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 09, 2019, 07:59:57 PM »

If the parallel is what if Breakaway had been a chart topping hit, how Murry would have acted in the band dynamic afterward...Consider what really happened, and how Breakaway stiffed, then Murry basically cut ties, sold his interests with the group in a business sense, and ripped off his own son by not paying him what he was due from the sale. I wonder if there is a relationship between Breakaway flopping and Murry selling the tunes and bailing out.

On the other hand, again unless someone can give an example, I don't believe any of Mike's "Kokomo" themed plans or ventures ever succeeded, in fact I think they all either flopped, were dead before they got started, or simply folded...yet Mike keeps trying this stuff.

And just when you think you've heard all the attempts at this Kokomo branding, from the cafes to the restaurant to the clothing to the resort design services...we get an old promo packet showing a program promoting education and teaching being represented by Mike Love and his Kokomo bikini girls. It's beyond nuts, you seriously couldn't make this stuff up.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
Lonely Summer
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 09, 2019, 11:24:38 PM »

I'm thinking the teachers are all scantily clad beauties willing to "teach me tonight".
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2019, 12:12:31 AM »

Blondie is nothing special. Smiley Girl like girl.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 10, 2019, 06:46:01 AM »

Mike vs. Murry, yuck.... Undecided

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx