gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:26:07 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love of the Beach Boys Presents The Girls of Kokomo.....  (Read 7115 times)
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« on: January 08, 2019, 12:24:50 PM »

Late 80s press kit using "The Girls of Kokomo" to, I guess, promote the "Teach" program somehow? Mike apparently added some "Kokomo" themed prose for the inside of the folder....

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2019, 12:59:34 PM »

Are we sure the Project Teach papers weren't just thrown into that folder as a joke? I know the above is 30 some years old, but I can't imagine such a press release (regarding teachers) being distributed in today's #MeToo and Millennial climate, for very good reasons. Nor can I really imagine it being released back in the 80s like this. It's like Drake starting some Teachers Scholarship program and putting pictures of girls twerking in the press release...It doesn't have anything to do with education!

And what exactly is/was The Girls of Kokomo?

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 01:08:28 PM »

Are we sure the Project Teach papers weren't just thrown into that folder as a joke? I know the above is 30 some years old, but I can't imagine such a press release (regarding teachers) being distributed in today's #MeToo and Millennial climate, for very good reasons. Nor can I really imagine it being released back in the 80s like this. It's like Drake starting some Teachers Scholarship program and putting pictures of girls twerking in the press release...It doesn't have anything to do with education!

And what exactly is/was The Girls of Kokomo?

I thought about the possibility that the docs were not directly related to the folder and pics, and were just mismatched. But the docs mention Mike and the Beach Boys, so I'm not sure what the correlation is. Perhaps the unseen portions of the docs spell all of that out.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2019, 02:46:16 PM »

Sleazy as this all sure seems to be, I guess at least it's a good picture of Mike. I just can't connect the dots of how something marketed as a "teaching" program is somehow supposed to incorporate or be associated with hot Kokomo babes.

Like, was the intent for the person who received this kit to pop a boner, and then decide to open their wallets? I truly, truly am at a loss and don't get it. At first glance, the association of the these things (teaching, half naked ladies, pseudo religious/philosophical quotes/Mike seemingly having a harem in the photos) makes me have a flash of the whole current NXIVM/Vanguard/Allison Mack situation. Alison Mike?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 03:10:22 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2019, 02:57:08 PM »

Excuse my french, but what the fucking f*** did I just look at?!?!? Brow
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 02:58:46 PM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2019, 05:53:32 PM »

After a bit of a search I found another shot of that pack showing a business card. The name is Ray Upton. Must be this guy.

https://www.worthpoint.com/worthopedia/beach-boys-mike-love-girls-kokomo-1829002812

https://www.amazon.com/Ramondo/e/B00EN4J3DY
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 05:55:38 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2019, 07:12:10 PM »

I'm echoing Jay's comment and adding mine: What the hell is this?

The never-ending supply of schlock truly never ends, does it?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2019, 08:03:40 PM »

I'm echoing Jay's comment and adding mine: What the hell is this?

The never-ending supply of schlock truly never ends, does it?

#lifestylesoftherichandtacky
« Last Edit: January 08, 2019, 09:16:06 PM by The LEGENDARY OSD » Logged

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2019, 04:40:43 AM »

Cousin Larry from "vacation" dresses better than Mike....  Razz

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2019, 08:29:56 AM »

Aside from whatever connection this thing had to the "Teach" program, I'm more curious if this "Girls of Kokomo" thing was something akin to Mike's more recent (last year or so) attempt to do a bunch of "Kokomo" branding for destinations/products, etc.

Note that his "Kokomo Brands" website from last year is no longer functioning.

I'm wondering if "Girls of Kokomo" was similar to his "Club Kokomo" attempts.

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2019, 08:45:14 AM »

Aside from whatever connection this thing had to the "Teach" program, I'm more curious if this "Girls of Kokomo" thing was something akin to Mike's more recent (last year or so) attempt to do a bunch of "Kokomo" branding for destinations/products, etc.

"So if you miss him baby
Call him on the phone
But make it quick
We're almost in a party zone
"
-Mike Love, Summer of Love

So I'm guessing that in Mike's ideal world the Girls of Kokomo serve us Kokomojitos(©2018 not even kidding Mike copyrighted this) while he croons from the private stage in Club Kokomo the poetic symphony of Kokomo...I'm assuming followed up with an encore of Pisces Brothers.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
The LEGENDARY OSD
Smiley Smile Associate

luHv Estrangement Syndrome. It's a great thing!

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2019, 09:40:11 AM »

"So if you miss him baby
Call him on the phone
But make it quick
We're almost in a party zone
"
-Mike Love, Summer of Love

So I'm guessing that in Mike's ideal world the Girls of Kokomo serve us Kokomojitos(©2018 not even kidding Mike copyrighted this) while he croons from the private stage in Club Kokomo the poetic symphony of Kokomo...I'm assuming followed up with an encore of Pisces Brothers.

LOL LOL This goateed jackass thinks, for some reason, that he thinks of himself as "chick bait", when in fact, he did/does look more like Clarabell the Clown most of the time. Don't forget the ticky tacky  failed "Vibe Room disaster either! Weirdest pictures of Mike Love anyone?

myKe luHv, the most hated, embarrassing clown the world of music has ever witnessed.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2019, 10:31:08 AM »

Mike has been trying to "brand" Kokomo since the early 90's, more or less...and before these recent comments on the subject, I was going to jokingly ask is there any project Mike has undertaken under his own name or company that has NOT somehow branded Kokomo as either a concept, trademark, or lifestyle...and beyond that, seriously ask if any of Mike's Kokomo-branded ventures have been successful.

Then I read that his recent "Kokomo Brands" venture website seems to have disappeared from the web? I guess they couldn't get enough investors on board? So the streak continues, I suppose, and I wonder how many crates of unused new-old-stock "Club Kokomo" pint glasses and tableware from 1997 are spread around various fans' homes from Nevada to the UK at this point.  Grin

And, seriously though...Can anyone even try to explain the connection between a program promoting teachers and educational programs and Mike's troupe of bikini models?

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2019, 10:51:33 AM »

Mike has been trying to "brand" Kokomo since the early 90's, more or less...and before these recent comments on the subject, I was going to jokingly ask is there any project Mike has undertaken under his own name or company that has NOT somehow branded Kokomo as either a concept, trademark, or lifestyle...and beyond that, seriously ask if any of Mike's Kokomo-branded ventures have been successful.

Then I read that his recent "Kokomo Brands" venture website seems to have disappeared from the web? I guess they couldn't get enough investors on board? So the streak continues, I suppose, and I wonder how many crates of unused new-old-stock "Club Kokomo" pint glasses and tableware from 1997 are spread around various fans' homes from Nevada to the UK at this point.  Grin

And, seriously though...Can anyone even try to explain the connection between a program promoting teachers and educational programs and Mike's troupe of bikini models?

I'm sure this is all based on Mike wanting to duplicate the success that Jimmy Buffet has had with Margaritaville, right? It seems almost an exact attempt at aping the very idea, much like la Bruce & Terry soundalike clone of a BBs song.

But I am also trying to understand the connection between a program promoting teachers and educational programs and Mike's troupe of bikini models. It's simultaneously hilarious (and I mean this is next level hilarious, up there with the Lifestyles of the Rich & Famous clip) and cringe inducing, and sometimes it feels like the amount of previously unknown cringey Mike projects like this which seemingly surface only bit by bit, in dribs and drabs, is almost like Mike's version of SMiLE, where fans can piece together and roll their own... joints to toke on, while they laugh their asses of at the ridiculousness of the totality of it all  LOL
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 10:55:25 AM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2019, 11:41:54 AM »

The only thing I can think of at the moment is that the plan could have been to use the "Girls of Kokomo" to raise money/awareness at events. Basically, imagine the BBs doing a gig to bring in money and attention to this program. So he would do the same, but with this "Girls of Kokomo" thing. What they would *do* at an event, I can't say. Just appear? Dance to music? Hand out flyers?

I'm wondering if the "Girls of Kokomo" branding thing was a separate thing, and then he was going to use it to promote this other program. Again, similar to how the BBs were touring as a regular thing, and then also could have appeared at fundraisers/galas, etc.

And maybe he already had promo press kits for the "Girls of Kokomo" thing, and repurposed the folders for this other program.

We obviously can't see what else is in that stapled document; so maybe it spells out how it all ties in.

I do have to wonder, though, even back in the late 80s/early 90s when there probably woudln't have been as much outrage about the nature of numerous aspects of this "Girls of Kokomo" thing, would schools/teachers/unions and other organizations of that type really been into having, what, bikini-clad "Girls of Kokomo" going out to promote being a teacher?

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2019, 12:00:52 PM »

Then I read that his recent "Kokomo Brands" venture website seems to have disappeared from the web? I guess they couldn't get enough investors on board? So the streak continues, I suppose, and I wonder how many crates of unused new-old-stock "Club Kokomo" pint glasses and tableware from 1997 are spread around various fans' homes from Nevada to the UK at this point.  Grin

I'm sure this is all based on Mike wanting to duplicate the success that Jimmy Buffet has had with Margaritaville, right?

And this is why all of the flak Mike has gotten regarding the legacy hasn't been unfounded. I cringe to think what The Beach Boys name would be like right now if the market were open to such ideas as a chain of Club Kokomo restaurants serving their Kokomojitos by the Girls of Kokomo. Because I have very little doubt that if Mike were able to be profitable with such a venture (current Pet Sounds/Brian Wilson legacy be damned), he would do it....Anyone up for some tea from Club Koko-Chai? (https://www.trademarkia.com/company-michael-e-love-4516721-page-1-2)
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 12:05:36 PM by rab2591 » Logged

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2019, 12:25:16 PM »

For better or worse, the BBs haven't ever been very successful at branding/IP sort of things outside of music releases and, to some degree, merch sold on tour (where there's a captive audience for the stuff of course).

There hasn't been a glut of t-shirts and keychains and wallets and action figures like we've seen with some other bands of the "classic" rock era.

Having a restaurant or club themed after a band seems kind of antiquated now anyway, but even if it's still a viable business model for a lot of bands, the BBs wouldn't be high on that list. (Whether we're talking actual BB branding like the few "Beach Boys Cafe" restaurants that were open in the 90s, or a "Club Kokomo" sort of thing with implied connection to the BBs without actually using the BB trademark).

Apart from random items over the years (those expensive Hawaiian shirts from the 90s, a t-shirt here or there at Urban Outfitters-type places, a Hallmark ornament or two, etc.), the "branding" issue when it comes to non-music/tour categories just isn't and never will be there.

I think the ship has sailed on seeing a "Wild Honey" t-shirt at Hot Topic.

We've also seen cases where attempts have been made to do BB-themed projects like that Beach Boys Broadway production in the 2000s, and my recollection is that that thing crashed and burned pretty quickly. There just isn't a market for BB stuff like there is for "Mama Mia" type productions or the Cirque Beatles "Love" show. (And I'm guessing the reason "live entertainment" things relating to the BBs haven't done so well because there is always a "Beach Boys" band touring all year, ever year).

rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 09, 2019, 01:55:54 PM »

We've also seen cases where attempts have been made to do BB-themed projects like that Beach Boys Broadway production in the 2000s, and my recollection is that that thing crashed and burned pretty quickly. There just isn't a market for BB stuff like there is for "Mama Mia" type productions or the Cirque Beatles "Love" show. (And I'm guessing the reason "live entertainment" things relating to the BBs haven't done so well because there is always a "Beach Boys" band touring all year, ever year).

Didn't Mike Love and Stamos try to get a "Mama Mia" like show going in Vegas just a few years ago? I take it that crashed and burned too.

And I agree that the market just hasn't been viable for any Beach Boys ventures outside of the music...I don't think the tacky and outdated Beach Boys official logo typeface helps at all in the merch department,either. I take it as a blessing, the music stands on its own and doesn't need any marketing gimmicks tagging along or marring the music itself. However, I would love to see an official Beach Boys Love type album, the Cirque De Sole show optional.

@OSD, I totally forgot about the Vibe Room! LOL

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 09, 2019, 02:30:58 PM »

Didn't Mike Love and Stamos try to get a "Mama Mia" like show going in Vegas just a few years ago? I take it that crashed and burned too.

And I agree that the market just hasn't been viable for any Beach Boys ventures outside of the music...I don't think the tacky and outdated Beach Boys official logo typeface helps at all in the merch department,either. I take it as a blessing, the music stands on its own and doesn't need any marketing gimmicks tagging along or marring the music itself.  

Agreed completely. It's interesting, rab, between this failed venture and the Murry-cowritten Breakaway failing, maybe I should start a thread on BBs ventures/songs that were lucky in hindsight to have failed for all sorts of various reasons.
B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 09, 2019, 02:42:33 PM »

CenturyDeprived, I think you're really going out on a limb to claim that it's better in hindsight that "Breakaway" failed commercially. The group was struggling financially and leaving Capitol. A hit single could have made a huge difference. Maybe Murry doesn't sell Sea of Tunes at all! Or at least not in August of '69. Who knows what may have transpired? It obviously also wouldn't have hurt Brian's confidence for it to succeed. It may not have had a lasting effect on his mental well-being, but who knows?
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 02:46:31 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2019, 02:44:47 PM »

Pretty positive that both girls are present for the campfire segments of tv show in 1989
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 09, 2019, 02:46:21 PM »

And I agree that the market just hasn't been viable for any Beach Boys ventures outside of the music...I don't think the tacky and outdated Beach Boys official logo typeface helps at all in the merch department,either. I take it as a blessing, the music stands on its own and doesn't need any marketing gimmicks tagging along or marring the music itself.  

Agreed completely. It's interesting, rab, between this failed venture and the Murry-cowritten Breakaway failing, maybe I should start a thread on BBs ventures/songs that were lucky in hindsight to have failed for all sorts of various reasons.

You should! I mean, the commercial failing of Here Comes The Night Disco Version was a godsend to the group I'd say!

@B.E., though I think any chart success would've helped Brian's confidence, it's a pretty interesting road of thought to image how Murry would have behaved had it been a success...and to wonder if in the long run it would be a positive thing for Brian. Just my two cents. I hope others chime in on this topic too.

SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 09, 2019, 02:47:17 PM »

The constant kokomo branding was a good reason for BW to stay away....

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2019, 02:48:19 PM »

Did OSD ever sign up for the club kokomo backstage pass? Evil

B.E.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 09, 2019, 03:00:32 PM »

@B.E., though I think any chart success would've helped Brian's confidence, it's a pretty interesting road of thought to image how Murry would have behaved had it been a success...and to wonder if in the long run it would be a positive thing for Brian. Just my two cents. I hope others chime in on this topic too.

Considering Murry was involved, yes, I think it would have gone to his head. But that makes me wonder if he changes his mind about selling Sea Of Tunes in '69 and how that could have changed things for Brian and the group in a very positive way. Surely, Murry selling away all of Brian's songs (and "Breakaway" failing) had a worse effect on Brian than "Breakaway" being a hit would have, no? Yeah, maybe Murry might convince Brian that he still needed him, but if Brian's confidence is up, is that really so bad? Most of us love the results of Friends and "Breakaway", don't we? Point is, we know how things turned out, and it wasn't good for Brian.

It is interesting to think about. I just feel the need to pump the brakes is all...
« Last Edit: January 09, 2019, 03:28:40 PM by B.E. » Logged

Every wave is new until it breaks.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx